Mike Iupati G Idaho

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:38 am

We're going to take a QB in the first round. We're not trading down unless we get a great offer. But it may be Clausen even though everyone's assuming Bradford if we go QB.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:We're going to take a QB in the first round. We're not trading down unless we get a great offer. But it may be Clausen even though everyone's assuming Bradford if we go QB.

Thread topic: Mike Iupati G Idaho

Let's not turn this into a global 'what should the Redskins do in the draft' thread, cool?

Thanks.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

I watched a little of the Senior Bowl mainly to see Iupati. I had heard how he has been dominate in practice's.

It seemed to me like he held every play. His hands were on the outside of the DT's shoulderpads every time. The north's 1st TD was called back because of a holding penalty on him.

While he could develop into a fine player, I'd want to make sure he could learn to hold and not be so obvious about it.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 pm

brad7686 wrote:
Jeremy81 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:Some bad news is that Vladimir Ducasse had a bad showing at the senior bowl, leaving Iupati all by himself as the best guard, which could possibly cause him to go in the first.

Jon Asomoah will be up there. no way he'll get picked over Iupati, but still a very good guard coming out

yea, he's good too. Could possibly be our second round pick.

The bottom line is that Iupati should be our second round pick if he's there, regardless of the situation. Okung and Iupati together would half rebuild our line. What I'm afraid of is that we'll take a QB at #4, then blow the pick in the second by reaching for a left tackle rather than Iupati. That would be a mistake. There will be no left tackle in the second round who is as good as he is and taking Okung in the first will insure we won't need a LT by then. If we do go the bonehead way and pick a QB in the first, I'd still rather have an FA or Jones at LT than miss Iupati. He's not only good at pass protection, he'll give us a running game on the right.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Iupati won't be there when we pick at 37.

BTW, Jone has consistently said that he WILL NOT play RT. I don't understand that thinking on his part, but I have no reason not to believe him. So, we will still need to address RT.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I watched the Senior Bowl myself.
Iupati is still a raw prospect. He is outstanding in run blocking. He does have some work to do as far as technique in pass protection. He is very agile and strong. All the Senior Bowl coaches were impressed with big Mike.

He can play RT tackle but would need some more polishing up. This comes down to his work ethic which so far does not seem to be a problem.
Most experts agree he has all the tools to become a great lineman in the NFL. He will be a project at OT but can play guard right away.

I suspect he will go in the first round. Some team will grab him in the first. Maybe us if we trade down and get a late 1st and an additional second.

From all the Lineman I have seen. Only Okung is clearly ready to start at LT. Iupati can step in at guard or be coached up to play RT. Some coaches have said if he works hard enough he could play LT.

So for me I would be very happy with Okung and Iupati as a start to rebuilding this Oline. This would be nice for our front office to aim after these two. Work out a plan now to aquire these players.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
So for me I would be very happy with Okung and Iupati as a start to rebuilding this Oline. This would be nice for our front office to aim after these two. Work out a plan now to aquire these players.

I keep seeing this. Okung and Iupati. That would be cool, indeed..

The problem is, I don't believe that Iupati gets past Dallas at 27, but no matter what, he definitely will not make it to 37. Dallas is NOT going to trade that pick with us. That means that we have to pick at 26. There is no scenario that I can conceive us having both the #4 and #26 pick in this draft. Not going to happen.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Countertrey wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:

I keep seeing this. Okung and Iupati. That would be cool, indeed..

The problem is, I don't believe that Iupati gets past Dallas at 27, but no matter what, he definitely will not make it to 37. Dallas is NOT going to trade that pick with us. That means that we have to pick at 26. There is no scenario that I can conceive us having both the #4 and #26 pick in this draft. Not going to happen.

There you come with that thing you call common sense? :D

Hey I admit I know it is highly unlikely but not impossible.
Our front office gets paid millions so I want them to try and pull of "steals".
Shanahan has robbed us in the past. I wonder if he could pull off some magic with some other teams. The Raiders are a good team to target in a steal? Two first round picks is what we need to pull this off. Get to work Allen! I want these players on our team!

:D

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
Jeremy81 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:Some bad news is that Vladimir Ducasse had a bad showing at the senior bowl, leaving Iupati all by himself as the best guard, which could possibly cause him to go in the first.

Jon Asomoah will be up there. no way he'll get picked over Iupati, but still a very good guard coming out

yea, he's good too. Could possibly be our second round pick.

The bottom line is that Iupati should be our second round pick if he's there, regardless of the situation. Okung and Iupati together would half rebuild our line. What I'm afraid of is that we'll take a QB at #4, then blow the pick in the second by reaching for a left tackle rather than Iupati. That would be a mistake. There will be no left tackle in the second round who is as good as he is and taking Okung in the first will insure we won't need a LT by then. If we do go the bonehead way and pick a QB in the first, I'd still rather have an FA or Jones at LT than miss Iupati. He's not only good at pass protection, he'll give us a running game on the right.

I pretty much echo that. A few people I would like to see in the second if they do go qb in the first would be Charles Brown, Iupati or Asamoah. Brown is still a little bit of a project but has the feet to be an NFL LT. Other than that, like you said, there is no reason to reach for an OT when the cream of the guard crop is going to be sitting right there. That said I REALLY think they should take Okung, he will be elite in pass pro IMO.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

piggie

Postby FireVinny » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Mike Johnson is a better fit for a zone blocking scheme, and I've seen him going in the 4th. If we could really get Johnson that late, we should go for Dwyer or Cody or Houston in the 2nd.
Since Chris Samuels, on the first day of the draft:
O-Line: 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-Line: 0
WR: 4

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:21 am

FireVinny wrote:Mike Johnson is a better fit for a zone blocking scheme, and I've seen him going in the 4th. If we could really get Johnson that late, we should go for Dwyer or Cody or Houston in the 2nd.

I dont see Mike Johnson getting past the third round. However, if he does fall to the fourth round that would be great if we pick him up.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Agreed

Postby BurgundyAndGold » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:50 am

Warmother wrote:I watched a little of the Senior Bowl mainly to see Iupati. I had heard how he has been dominate in practice's.

It seemed to me like he held every play. His hands were on the outside of the DT's shoulderpads every time. The north's 1st TD was called back because of a holding penalty on him.

While he could develop into a fine player, I'd want to make sure he could learn to hold and not be so obvious about it.

I also watched the senior bowl and while he was very dominating in Idaho's bowl game, he did not impress me in the senior bowl. He held almost every play and seemed to only be able to compete with bigger guys because of the holding when it was not being called.

He may be the best guard in the draft this year, but that alone does not make him a good lineman. I will say though he did impress me during the season, and I never saw another guard play this year that looked like they were ready for the NFL.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Just a note on Iupati at the Senior Bowl - if you have the means to go back and watch the game, he only held when he was playing left guard... when they moved him to the right side, he was great.

Obviously you'd prefer that the guy could play all interior positions equally, but replacing Randy Thomas is more of a priority than replacing Derrick Dockery.

My 2 cents

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Personally, I dont see him getting past the Steelers in round 1. BUT if somehow we can pick him up, that would be sweet. It all depends what happends in FA...if we sign Ben Hamilton then obviously we dont need him. If we put an offer on a RFA LT (Gaither, McNeil) then we dont need Okung and we could go after Iupati....It all depends on FA
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I'll just add that I didn't mean to imply that the Redskins should draft Iupati - just that if you were someone that thought the Redskins should draft a guard, then Iupati would still 'fit'.

I agree that Iupati will go before the Redskins make their second round pick, and I personally would still go with a tackle at #4.

And yes... free agency will definitely change our needs and how we draft, but it isn't much fun speculating on a draft if we start having to predict the FA moves made as well. :-)

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010