Tebow's Our Future Leader Get Used To It

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Shanahan knows whats best for this team, he's scouting Tebow for good reason.

Yeah, it's called due diligence. Just out of curiosity, what is it in Shanhan's comments that make you think he's doing more than answering a question about Tebow?

I mean, all I see is a guy answering a question like, 'Key Kyle, if you draft a guy like Tim Tebow, do you try and correct his mechanics?'

I don't see ANYTHING in his answer that leads me to believe that Shanahan's all hot to trot over the guy... in fact, he's basically saying that you have to live with his shortcomings and try to make what he does best work for your team.

How does that make him the fourth overall pick in the draft? We're talking about a top 5 pick here... whoever it is, is going to get PAID, so you want to try and pick someone that isn't such a reach.

The guy's an unproven NFL commodity. LOTS of great college players did squat in the big leagues. Kyle is smart enough to know that he's coming to Washington... the land of short-sighted ownership and short term coaching contracts - why on earth would they use their very first pick to draft such an unknown entity?

IMO, the only way Tebow makes it to Redskin Park is if it's later in the draft... no way we waste that number four pick on the guy. If he's still there at #5 in the 2nd round, we might pull the trigger... because that's a much better assessment of his draft value... but personally, I still don't see it with the holes we have to fill.

My comments aren't an indictment of the guy either - I actually really like him - he's a winner and a competitor, and guys like that are always great to have. But IMO, you don't spend a number four on 'intangibles'.

I fully expect you to have 'switched your favorite' to whoever lights it up at the Senior Bowl this weekend anyway. Oh and by the way, Tebow isn't exactly turning heads there.

My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:45 pm

I am not sure if we will draft Tebow? Heck I wont mind having him on our team.

However I am 99 percent sure that Jacksonville will draft Tim Tebow if we do not.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 pm

BossHog wrote: a single draft board that doesn't have Bradford and Claussen ahead of Tebow... some have McCoy, Snead, Canfield and Pike ahead of him too... but we're going to draft Tebow at number four?

Seriously, Pike is it for me.. especially over Tebow.. Bradford as well. Tebow is just too JC like to me. Same bush mechanics but Tebow has way better legs.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Shanahan knows whats best for this team, he's scouting Tebow for good reason.

Enough of this absurdity. Unless the jags draft him, Tebow will be lucky to go in the third round. As an NFL QB, he's strictly a project.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
BossHog wrote: a single draft board that doesn't have Bradford and Claussen ahead of Tebow... some have McCoy, Snead, Canfield and Pike ahead of him too... but we're going to draft Tebow at number four?

Seriously, Pike is it for me.. especially over Tebow.. Bradford as well. Tebow is just too JC like to me. Same bush mechanics but Tebow has way better legs.

I'm a big fan of Pike, as well. I like Jimmy Clausen, but I would much rather grab Okung at 4 and Pike in the second, if we are grabbing a QB.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

piggie

Postby so.il.SKINSFAN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:12 am

If he's there in the 3rd round I wouldn't mind us taking him. Not because I think he's gonna lead us to the playoffs next year but because of all the things that people find wrong w/his game, the things that are never in question w/him is work ethic, determination, grit, etc...I admire that and this team could use some of it and if he doesn't work out at QB we could always use a good Fullback.

I guess the bottom line on him is he's a good football player w/a willingness and appetite to keep learning.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:49 am

so.il.SKINSFAN wrote:If he's there in the 3rd round I wouldn't mind us taking him. Not because I think he's gonna lead us to the playoffs next year but because of all the things that people find wrong w/his game, the things that are never in question w/him is work ethic, determination, grit, etc...I admire that and this team could use some of it and if he doesn't work out at QB we could always use a good Fullback.

I guess the bottom line on him is he's a good football player w/a willingness and appetite to keep learning.

Except we used our 3rd round last year in the supplemental on Jarmon.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:51 am

Pike is the white Jason Campbell
HAIL

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:Pike is the white Jason Campbell

Brilliant analysis :roll:
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:51 am

It's still really early so this all will chance. There is a chance that no QB will be taken in the 1st half of the 1st round. In all reality, the consensus #1 QB is Bradford - even with his shoulder. After that, the thought is Claussen but he's a 3 year sit and learn kid - per Rich Gannon of NFL Serius Radio. After that, it's about who do you like. No one right now has set himself apart. But a lot of guys are saying that if you have the luxury to draft a QB to sit and learn, the best guy is Jake Locker.

Tebow is intriguing. He's got the longest delivery that most analysts have seen - ever. The other thing about him - which shocks me because of his size - is that he has a pretty weak arm. He also has only played in the spread and is not comfortable coming from under center - which he never did.

Tebow has about everything you'd want in a QB outside of mechanics. He's a firey personality, he's a leader and a great character guy. Most guys at this point are placing him as a 3rd round pick but expect him to go in the 2nd about midway or late because of the fact that he does have some upside and teams can use him around the goal line in certain packages.

That's just my quick analysis on the QB's.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

But a lot of guys are saying that if you have the luxury to draft a QB to sit and learn, the best guy is Jake Locker.

Locker isn't in the draft. He decided to go back to Washington for his senior season. If he was in the draft he would be competing with Suh for the number one pick.
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Sorry - I got him mixed up with Michael Kafka from Northwestern and John Skelton from Fordham. There are mixed reviews on where the value is for LeFevour. Some say 2nd round but others say as late as 5th - which I don't agree with. The kids a winner but very young body wise. (looks 15 yrs old in the face)

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Pike is the white Jason Campbell

Awesome analysis. :roll:

So... can you answer my question?

Just out of curiosity, what is it in Shanahan's comments that make you think he's doing more than answering a question about Tebow?

I mean, all I see is a guy answering a question like, 'Key Kyle, if you draft a guy like Tim Tebow, do you try and correct his mechanics?'

I don't see ANYTHING in his answer that leads me to believe that Shanahan's all hot to trot over the guy... in fact, he's basically saying that you have to live with his shortcomings and try to make what he does best work for your team.

... because I'd really like to know how you leaped to the conclusion that:

Shanahan knows whats best for this team, he's scouting Tebow for good reason.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:51 pm

I've never seen Pike throw a ball over 30 mph.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm

I don't see ANYTHING in his answer that leads me to believe that Shanahan's all hot to trot over the guy

These are the clues...

#1. Mike Shanahan personally visited Florida and studied the spread offense, he also addressed the Gators and spoke to Tebow.

#2. Mike has a close relationship to Urban Meyer

#3. Mike and Kyle both list Gruden as "as good as it gets" in NFL, and Gruden says there is no doubt Tebow can play QB and thinks he's the best player in the draft.

#4. Zorn knows what Snyder's thinking and he was talking about 'intangibles' and how teams are always looking for guys with them.

Honestly, I have no clue who or how we will draft, but I know this...Shanahan knows what's best and if he thinks Tebow can win him a SB he'll draft him no.4 and the media, fans and Jason Reid's of the world can kiss the baby.
HAIL

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010