Tebow's Our Future Leader Get Used To It

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:
Honestly, I have no clue who or how we will draft, but I know this...Shanahan knows what's best and if he thinks Tebow can win him a SB he'll draft him no.4 and the media, fans and Jason Reid's of the world can kiss the baby.

I'm getting a permanent brain freeze...

Oh, the pain.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:07 pm

They're going to talk to a lot of people... and probably hear 'how great' a lot of guys are... how does that show the Redskins are going to draft a guy, just because they scout a guy. I would hope that they 'scout' every guy expected to go on the first day of the draft... and have had others scout just about anybody else expected to get drafted.

I fail to see how that categorically means that Tebow is being targeted with the number four pick. It could just as easily mean that they like the guy and would take him with a later pick. It could just mean that they're posturing so that people think they like him when they like someone else. It could mean NOTHING. there's not a shred of FACT in any of your assertion - it's strictly (bad) conjecture.

I also have no idea why Shanahan having a close relationship with Urban Meyer has to do with drafting the guy FOURTH OVERALL. I'm sure Shanny has 'close' relationships with lots of people - he's been around a long time. I'm sure Mike respects Mayer's opinion as well, again, it doesn't mean that they're going to take Tebow fourth overall.

And the logic that Zorn knows what Snyder is thinking... are you kidding me? I don't know what part of that is the most bizarre... first of all, if Allen and Shanahan have what they say they have - autonomy - then it doesn't matter what Snyder thinks, and it certainly doesn't matter what Snyder thought BEFORE they got there... which is ALL that Zorn would be privy to. I won't even go into the fact that if Zorn knew what Snyder was thinking WHEN HE WAS HERE, it's doubtful that Sherm Lewis would have ever been called. So let me get this straight... the Redskins will draft Tebow 4th overall because Jim Zorn talked about the importance of intangibles, and he used to coach the Redskins - so he knows the way Dan Snyder thinks... so Zorm must have been alluding to specifically Tim Tebow and that Snyder and the Redskins would absolutely take him 4th overall. That's your contention here? That's one of the most silly 'arguments' I have ever seen.

I just don't see Shanhan and Allen making their first pick with the franchise, an incredible reach. Tebow isn't worth it - and he isn't worth the cash you have to lay out to try and wait to figure out if he was it takes. I have more faith in Allen and Shanahan's decision making than that. Choosing a blue chip tackle and filling the hole for the next decade is definitely a much smarter move. Considering that there will likely be a good candidate for such a thing at number four, I personally think Okung is a no-brainer. I think that ideally they would love to deal that pick and get more picks, but I think it will be tough to do on draft day. And you have to go into the draft expecting to have to make that pick.

I see nothing in your clues to 'convince' me that anything is afoot, but I guess since you're so sure - at least it will mean that you won't be picking every guy moving up a draft board over the next few months - to be the guy the Redskins are categorically taking at number four. You've established that you're sure it will be Tebow.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Personally I'd be excited to have Tebow leading this offense. I feel like we have the offensive coaches to establish a strong running game paired with some nasty wildcat feat. Tebow and from what I understand Shanahan is pretty good at developing QB's, mock drafts rate college QB's on how NFL ready they are now not by upside, Tim Tebow has more upside than any QB drafted since Peyton imo, because if he could replicate in the pros what he was in college he'd be legendary.
HAIL

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Personally I'd be excited to have Tebow leading this offense. I feel like we have the offensive coaches to establish a strong running game paired with some nasty wildcat feat. Tebow and from what I understand Shanahan is pretty good at developing QB's, mock drafts rate college QB's on how NFL ready they are now not by upside

I get that you like Tebow - do you not understand that I said I liked him too? That doesn't mean we're going to take him at number four.

I personally think these days EVERY aspect of a player is looked at before they're drafted - including their relative upside. It costs a lot of money to develop NFL talent - especially QBs taken in the first five picks. So it's one thing to draft a project - it's another thing entirely to draft one at number four overall.

Gibbs4Life wrote:Tim Tebow has more upside than any QB drafted since Peyton imo, because if he could replicate in the pros what he was in college he'd be legendary.

Ironically, they said the exact same thing about one of the biggest draft busts ever - Ryan Leaf.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:09 pm

You're right about that but keep in mind, these guys are getting paid. And the paycheck for the #4 vs the #64 are totally different. The #4 pick is not a development guy - it's a sure fire guy. A guy that you KNOW can come right in and produce for his position.

Some may say that the Raider's were crazy to take Janekowski in the 1st round but there are only a few good/great players on their team and he's one of them along with Leckler and Asemua (or however you spell their names).

I'm not saying take a kicker in the 1st round but you get my drift. Tebow is not NFL ready. His delivery is way too long and he over steps into each throw. They showed on NFL Networks Senior Bowl practice today that Tebow was asked to throw the ball with a cinder block in front of his foot so he couldn't step into the throws. That's just one of the many things that he's got to work on and more proof that he's not worthy of a first round pick. Some don't believe he's a 2nd round guy either.

All in all, he's a great guy who's a great leader and works very hard. He's extremely passionate in everything he does - football, religion, etc. But I can not say that he's ever going to be mentioned in the same breath as Peyton Manning who just may end up the best QB ever in the NFL before his career is over. Tebow needs to throw is first pass.

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 am

i still can't believe this thread has lasted this long

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 am

Jeremy81 wrote:i still can't believe this thread has lasted this long

My thoughts exactly.
Suck and Luck

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 am

Our buddy Gibbs4Life must be playing Madden again.. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:11 am

If Tebow is ever to wear Burgandy and Gold he'll have to be our first pick, the Jaguars are not going to pass on him, they can't afford to.
HAIL

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:13 am

Langley wondered:
Our buddy Gibbs4Life must be playing Madden again..

The '06 LPJoe version? The one where you go into "All-Time-Best-Ever-in-the-Universe-Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-Magical-Fantasy Mode", and it changes all your players to a 150 rating, plus adds the Death Star play option?

Do you pick the Dan Snyder or Al Davis option on that?

:P
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:If Tebow is ever to wear Burgandy and Gold he'll have to be our first pick, the Jaguars are not going to pass on him, they can't afford to.

I guess what most of us are saying G4L, is that there are better QBs coming out of the draft so if we can get one of them, Tebow wouldn't even be a thought. Plus we can most likely get a QB AFTER the first round whether Tebow is there still or not. Come on bro, you're a man of sports like us so you must already know there's better ones coming out besides him.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 am

Countertrey wrote:Langley wondered:
Our buddy Gibbs4Life must be playing Madden again..

The '06 LPJoe version? The one where you go into "All-Time-Best-Ever-in-the-Universe-Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-Magical-Fantasy Mode", and it changes all your players to a 150 rating, plus adds the Death Star play option?

Do you pick the Dan Snyder or Al Davis option on that?

:P

ROTFALMAO Hilarious!

Neither, I go with Lamar Hunt.. LOL!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:Tim Tebow has more upside than any QB drafted since Peyton imo, because if he could replicate in the pros what he was in college he'd be legendary.

#1) Tebow has mechanics issues, which will take years to fix...if they can be fixed at all.

#2) Tebow needs to learn how to read a defense.

#3) Tebow has accuracy issues.

#4) Tebow has only mediocre arm strength.

#5) Tebow is an excellent leader, smart kid, and a hard worker.

Yes, he has the intangibles thing down cold, but as a quarterback, he has limited potential. Even if you fix his ability to read defenses, his messed up release and windup, and his accuracy issues...you still have a QB with mediocre arm strength. I'm not sure you could say this dude "has more upside than any QB drafted since Peyton," because JaMarcus Russell had similar physical limitations...except JaMarcus came with a far superior arm.

Also, I understand he was a great running QB in Florida. However, the primary reason was because he was huge and strong, and could bull over defenders. He wasn't fast enough to run around people in college...and he won't be fast enough to run around them in college. And I'd love to see him try to bull over NFL defenders.

It will take 3-4 years to rebuild Tebow into a starting QB, IF it can be done at all (fixing the mechanics he's used for his entire football career...will be difficult). Do you really think that the Redskins are in a position to take on that kind of commitment on a project? I don't.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:27 pm

We'll see in April, at the end of the day its Shanahan's opinion of Tebow that matters.
HAIL

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:We'll see in April, at the end of the day its Shanahan's opinion of Tebow that matters.

Actually, that isn't really true.

Shanahan could love Tebow, but it doesn't make him WORTHY OF THE NUMBER FOUR PICK OVERALL. I know that you don't understand that, but I think that Shanahan will.

But maybe Zorn will make them do it...

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010