My Perfect Redskins Draft

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piggie
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

My Perfect Redskins Draft

Postby FireVinny » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:49 pm

I have some flexibility built in here, as I can't say I'm positive what I want, but I'm starting to have a firm grasp on what could and should happen.

First, I want the Skins to trade down twice (both trades are even according to the trade chart, plus I think the other teams have reason to make the trades):
#4 + #132 to Buffalo for #9 and #41 (1800+40=1350+490)
(Buffalo wants one of the top 2 QBs and they should both be gone by 9... I see this happening after St. Louis takes Clausen or Bradford at 1 or 3)

#37 to Cinci for #54 and #84 (530=360+170)
(Cinci wants a WR and Tate, LaFell, Benn, Williams and Gilyard should all go late 1st/early 2nd round, before 54... this doesn't work if Bryant falls or if they reach for a receiver in the 1st)

9: Davis/Campbell/Bulaga -- Campbell would be great, but I see a lot of folks projecting him to Oakland at 8... two of these 3 should be there at 9. Apparently Bulaga is passing the other 2 on a lot of draft boards, so I'm including him.

41: Cody/Cam Thomas (Pouncey or Dan Williams?) -- I see us short a NT to run a 3-4, and it looks like the top 4 free agents are all going to get the franchise tag this off season... there's a good chance both Cody and Thomas are there at 41.

54: Mike Johnson -- perfect fit for us at guard: quick, smart and durable. Better fit for a zone blocking scheme than Iupati or Ducasse.

84: Tennant/Walton (Troup?) -- Two good centers should be be there at 84, but if we snagged Pouncey or missed the NTs, Troup might be the guy here.

100: Dixon/Gerhart/Hardesty (Mathews or McKnight?) -- I really like the second tier of RBs in this draft and at least a couple of them are going to slip to the 4th... I'll trust Shanahan to pick the best one left.

7th round: who knows? Maybe Skelton/Brown/Kafka? We should only draft a QB if he's got a shot at 3rd string. Maybe a safety? I like Justin Woodall.

So, 3 good offensive linemen, a NT and an RB. There should be a decent chance to have all 5 starting next season. I'm not saying our OL would be good with 3 rookies, but getting them experience would help for 2011.

If we can't make the trades I would probably hope for 1. OT, 2. NT, 4. OG, 5. RB, 7. OC.
Since Chris Samuels, on the first day of the draft:
O-Line: 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-Line: 0
WR: 4

piggie
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

Postby FireVinny » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:05 pm

Worst possible draft, BTW would be:
Berry
Tebow/McCoy
Peek/other TE
Since Chris Samuels, on the first day of the draft:
O-Line: 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-Line: 0
WR: 4

B-rad
Posts: 3036
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:21 pm

If we were somehow able to move to 9 and still get Okung or Davis, that would be good, but unlikely. I consider the rest of the good OT's to be right tackles only, except Charles Brown perhaps, who is a second round option. Bulaga, Campbell, and Trent Williams can't pass block for crap.

Not to say that picking up a great right tackle and an additional pick for #4 would be a bad play, we need to fill as many holes as possible. If we were somehow able to trade back that would be my ideal draft as well. Otherwise, I like these players.

1- Davis/Okung/Clausen(prefer not but he could be good)
2- Jahvid Best/Ryan Matthews/Maurkice Pouncey/Jonathon Dwyer/Demaryius Thomas/Vladimir DuCasse/Devin McCourty/ Charles Brown
4- Ben Tate/Toby Gerhart/Mike Johnson/Jevan Snead, Jarret Brown and Tim Tebow (Upside picks)/Also Lefevour if he is there somehow/Patrick Angerer/Myron Rolle

As you probably noticed, I would like to take two linemen and a runningback in our first three picks. But you can't argue with taking a qb, corner, safety, or even inside linebacker in the first 3 picks. Also, if you think a good nose is in there you can take him.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

ch1
Posts: 3625
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:21 am

brad7686 wrote:If we were somehow able to move to 9 and still get Okung or Davis, that would be good, but unlikely. I consider the rest of the good OT's to be right tackles only, except Charles Brown perhaps, who is a second round option. Bulaga, Campbell, and Trent Williams can't pass block for crap.

Not to say that picking up a great right tackle and an additional pick for #4 would be a bad play, we need to fill as many holes as possible. If we were somehow able to trade back that would be my ideal draft as well. Otherwise, I like these players.

1- Davis/Okung/Clausen(prefer not but he could be good)
2- Jahvid Best/Ryan Matthews/Maurkice Pouncey/Jonathon Dwyer/Demaryius Thomas/Vladimir DuCasse/Devin McCourty/ Charles Brown
4- Ben Tate/Toby Gerhart/Mike Johnson/Jevan Snead, Jarret Brown and Tim Tebow (Upside picks)/Also Lefevour if he is there somehow/Patrick Angerer/Myron Rolle

As you probably noticed, I would like to take two linemen and a runningback in our first three picks. But you can't argue with taking a qb, corner, safety, or even inside linebacker in the first 3 picks. Also, if you think a good nose is in there you can take him.


I agree with your last statement only if the safety, or inside linebacker are taken third and no corner is taken at all. We need OL second if we pick a QB first (which I don't want). Also, if we pick for the OL in the first, we'd be a bit nuts not to pick an OL in the second. I don't care very much about picking an OL in the fourth because I don't see much possibility of getting a quality OL there. As for quarterbacks, if we don't pick a quarterback first, I don't see much excuse for
picking a quarterback at all. There will be nobody as good potentially as Campbell in the second or the forth, or later on.
I fervently hope we don't pass up OL for the sake of the 3-4. I rather put off the shift to the 3-4 than throw away a chance to draft OL in the first two rounds by picking a NT or inside linebacker.
If Shanahan drafts for defense before fixing the OL I will have a coronary.
Finally, I don't much care what positions are drafted for rounds four thru seven-- the best prospects at OL, inside linebacker, NT, running back, and safety are OK with me, just no CB, WR, or TE please. I would like to see us wind up with Ryan Mathews, but don't believe that can reasonably happen-- he'll go in the second round and we need OL there.

B-rad
Posts: 3036
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:07 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:If we were somehow able to move to 9 and still get Okung or Davis, that would be good, but unlikely. I consider the rest of the good OT's to be right tackles only, except Charles Brown perhaps, who is a second round option. Bulaga, Campbell, and Trent Williams can't pass block for crap.

Not to say that picking up a great right tackle and an additional pick for #4 would be a bad play, we need to fill as many holes as possible. If we were somehow able to trade back that would be my ideal draft as well. Otherwise, I like these players.

1- Davis/Okung/Clausen(prefer not but he could be good)
2- Jahvid Best/Ryan Matthews/Maurkice Pouncey/Jonathon Dwyer/Demaryius Thomas/Vladimir DuCasse/Devin McCourty/ Charles Brown
4- Ben Tate/Toby Gerhart/Mike Johnson/Jevan Snead, Jarret Brown and Tim Tebow (Upside picks)/Also Lefevour if he is there somehow/Patrick Angerer/Myron Rolle

As you probably noticed, I would like to take two linemen and a runningback in our first three picks. But you can't argue with taking a qb, corner, safety, or even inside linebacker in the first 3 picks. Also, if you think a good nose is in there you can take him.


I agree with your last statement only if the safety, or inside linebacker are taken third and no corner is taken at all. We need OL second if we pick a QB first (which I don't want). Also, if we pick for the OL in the first, we'd be a bit nuts not to pick an OL in the second. I don't care very much about picking an OL in the fourth because I don't see much possibility of getting a quality OL there. As for quarterbacks, if we don't pick a quarterback first, I don't see much excuse for
picking a quarterback at all. There will be nobody as good potentially as Campbell in the second or the forth, or later on.
I fervently hope we don't pass up OL for the sake of the 3-4. I rather put off the shift to the 3-4 than throw away a chance to draft OL in the first two rounds by picking a NT or inside linebacker.
If Shanahan drafts for defense before fixing the OL I will have a coronary.
Finally, I don't much care what positions are drafted for rounds four thru seven-- the best prospects at OL, inside linebacker, NT, running back, and safety are OK with me, just no CB, WR, or TE please. I would like to see us wind up with Ryan Mathews, but don't believe that can reasonably happen-- he'll go in the second round and we need OL there.


I think a lot of the rb's in the second will be hard to pass up if you really need one like we do. They will be far more talented than the linemen that are left. If we take care of business in round one with the LT, than somebody like Mathews or Jahvid Best could be sitting there. Dwyer. Our RB situation is not good. Not that there are a lot of good FA right tackles either. It will be a tough choice.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ
Posts: 12920
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:09 pm

In my perfect draft we end up with a player that is an all pro for 6 or 7 years - if there is nobody available at the 4th pick that we are certain can be a really good NFL player for many years then I fervently hope we can trade out of that pick - this is a top 5 pick - we have so may needs and are a number of drafts away from being a consistently competitive team again -we need to be very sure about who we select with a top 5 pick

I do not care who we select, I just want that player to be a really great player at that position for many years - we just cannot use this pick on a player that is not able to make the other players around him better for many years to come - Chris Samuels comes to mind :D

thankfully the guys in charge of making that choice know what they are doing a lot better than the guys who were running things here before this season
Hail to the Redskins

#14
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm

1) Okung

2) Ducasse or Pouncey.

4) RB

Best available.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

piggie
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

Postby FireVinny » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Just a couple of points I disagree on:

I don't want a safety before the fifth... there are too many starting NFL safeties who can be found in the late rounds of the draft to waste an early pick.

I like Dwyer and Mathews, but I'm not sure there's a huge difference between them and Hardesty, Dixon, Gerhart or Tate. If there's one thing Shanahan has a proven track record with in the draft, it's finding a mid/late round RB and making him into a stud.

I don't see a real danger of us targetting an ILB or CB in the draft because if those are personnnel priorities we should be able to sign Dansby or Robinson as UFAs.

I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of Bruce Campbell or Anthony Davis, but I saw plenty of Bulaga and Charles Brown. Bulaga is nasty and he's a fine pass blocker... based on his measurables today in the combine I guess he's a marginal LT physically, but his game is there, and if he's an RT he'll be a stud RT. Charles Brown is a wimp (I was going to use another word, but it's probably inappropriate)... he's plenty athletic, so maybe he's a good fit for a zone system, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to be a bust in the NFL when all of a sudden he isn't 10x faster than the dudes he's blocking.

If we don't trade and go OL, OL, RB, like some of y'all are suggesting, I'll be just peachy.
Since Chris Samuels, on the first day of the draft:
O-Line: 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-Line: 0
WR: 4

B-rad
Posts: 3036
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 pm

FireVinny wrote:Just a couple of points I disagree on:

I don't want a safety before the fifth... there are too many starting NFL safeties who can be found in the late rounds of the draft to waste an early pick.

I like Dwyer and Mathews, but I'm not sure there's a huge difference between them and Hardesty, Dixon, Gerhart or Tate. If there's one thing Shanahan has a proven track record with in the draft, it's finding a mid/late round RB and making him into a stud.

I don't see a real danger of us targetting an ILB or CB in the draft because if those are personnnel priorities we should be able to sign Dansby or Robinson as UFAs.

I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of Bruce Campbell or Anthony Davis, but I saw plenty of Bulaga and Charles Brown. Bulaga is nasty and he's a fine pass blocker... based on his measurables today in the combine I guess he's a marginal LT physically, but his game is there, and if he's an RT he'll be a stud RT. Charles Brown is a wimp (I was going to use another word, but it's probably inappropriate)... he's plenty athletic, so maybe he's a good fit for a zone system, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to be a bust in the NFL when all of a sudden he isn't 10x faster than the dudes he's blocking.

If we don't trade and go OL, OL, RB, like some of y'all are suggesting, I'll be just peachy.


I don't mean to say Bulaga is a terrible pass blocker, but he's not Okung or Davis. I just saw people get by him more than i should have. He could be an outstanding RT. His run blocking is quite impressive. I don't want to compare him to Gallery, but we saw how he did as a pass blocker in the NFL.
The only reason I mention Brown in the second is that I think he may be the only post 1st-rounder capable of developing into a good LT in the league, if we were to go qb first. Obviously, he needs to put some weight on and mature at the position, which is why he's a second round pick. He certainly isn't to the level of the first round OT's yet.
And yea, I don't see much difference between Mathews and guys like Tate, Hardesty etc. aside from production. I just wonder if they take Jahvid Best at 2 if he slips. He could be a real Sproles type, except quicker and less powerful. A good compliment to a power back.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010