Would Skins trade up for Bradford?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:37 pm

It gets very interesting if the player at 4 is Berry or another really good player at a position we don't see as a priority right now
I hope these guys can get picks if possible but you also don't pass up a guy with almost certain hall of fame ability - I mean if a Sean Taylor type player were available or a can't miss DT then we really have to take him :D

the pure angst from some here if we don't take the best offensive line player will be a lot of fun in it's own right :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 pm

If Berry is there at 4 take him. Berry has the speed to go sideline to sideline and the ball hawking skills to make the pick then the return ability to take it to the house, he hits like a truck, you put him at FS and Laron at SS and our D is frightening.
HAIL

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Our Defense isn't a problem. It's the offense that can't put points on the board. Now the defense gave up the leads several times but that was only after the offense either turned the ball over or went 3 and out.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 pm

we aren't trying to fix this thing this year Frank - we take the best player available at the 4 pick if we cannot move down - this is a long term project and if you can get a great player, at any position, you have to take him - we are not getting a chance to pick at this spot for a while and we are not even close to being competitive with the players we have right now

I hope that the teams above us make the choice easy - it might also make the teams below us think about what they might want to give up :D
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:54 am

There are going to be several guys who will be starting caliber players - especially lineman. Why would we take a player who is on the bottom of our needs list?

I'm not saying anything about Berry. He's DAMN good but again, you can't take a player in a spot you don't need.

The chances of us trading down is slim to none. A lot of the teams out there don't want to have to pay an unproven player because of the fail rate.

...but this is just like my opinion.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:27 am

frankcal20 wrote:There are going to be several guys who will be starting caliber players - especially lineman. Why would we take a player who is on the bottom of our needs list?

I'm not saying anything about Berry. He's DAMN good but again, you can't take a player in a spot you don't need.

The chances of us trading down is slim to none. A lot of the teams out there don't want to have to pay an unproven player because of the fail rate.

...but this is just like my opinion.

I hear what you're saying Frank, but thinking five years from now if Berry is as good as the experts seem to think he's going to be a fixture on D and Okung or a QB could be a mediocrity we're looking to upgrade.

My hope if Berry falls to four though would be we could trade him to Mike Ditka
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Hey if Ditka is coaching, he'll never make that mistake again. Berry could also fail as well but if whats to say that Okung can't be the next Chris Samuels? It's a crap shoot for any player b/c of the sport and the money involved.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:08 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Hey if Ditka is coaching, he'll never make that mistake again. Berry could also fail as well but if whats to say that Okung can't be the next Chris Samuels? It's a crap shoot for any player b/c of the sport and the money involved.

I meant Ditka more figuratively. But as for your point, I agree with you that recognizing anything can happen is realistic. But if you're arguing we should draft for need because of that I don't. That anything can happen is all the more to put the players through every type of analysis, not ignore analysis.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Postby yupchagee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 pm

No player is a guaranteed PB much less HOF performer. There are lot's of 1st round busts every year. We should pick the player who will help the team the most.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Ideally, absolutely, you pick a player of need... however, if I'm GM, and I have the first player in a position of need ranked 14...

I am first going to do everything I can to trade down.

If I can't... I'm selecting the player that I have ranked highest on my board, regardless of his position played. I am not going to use the #4 pick on the 14th best player.

Fortunately, it appears that no matter how things break down this year, there will probably be a top 5 or 6 player at a position of need available.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 pm

A safety is the LAST thing that we need.
Suck and Luck

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Not sure, Canes, what your point is, but have you not seen my comments regarding what we SHOULD take?

My only point in here is, if the talent doesn't match the pick...

YOU DO NOT REACH.

Especially in the top 5.

Of course, it appears that you disagree...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:11 am

Countertrey wrote:Not sure, Canes, what your point is, but have you not seen my comments regarding what we SHOULD take?

My only point in here is, if the talent doesn't match the pick...

YOU DO NOT REACH.

Especially in the top 5.

Of course, it appears that you disagree...

I wasn't trying to comment directly on your post, just making a general statement that safety is very low on our list of needs right now.

Regarding what you said, I agree 100% that you don't reach.

With this draft, it's pretty clear that there will at least be comparable, if not better talent, available at a position of need when we pick at #4.

As for the safety position, I think that some people on this board overrate the position. Yes, it's important, but using another top 10 pick on a safety would be insane. This pick, unless the talent doesn't match, should be used for an offensive player. If, for some reason, we do decide to take a defensive player, I would much rather have Haden than Berry. I'd take a top corner over a top safety every time.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby SKINFAN » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 am

frankcal20 wrote:Our Defense isn't a problem. It's the offense that can't put points on the board. Now the defense gave up the leads several times but that was only after the offense either turned the ball over or went 3 and out.

Defense IS a problem, but OFFENSE IS the BIGGER PROBLEM. LoL, we have problems....
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.

Proverbs 27:17

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Countertrey wrote:Fortunately, it appears that no matter how things break down this year, there will probably be a top 5 or 6 player at a position of need available.

Isn't it cool we have so many needs! :up:

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010