Bradford or Clausen if we were to go QB 1st round

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Bradford or Clausen

Bradford
76%
Clausen
10%
Other , ( please state )
14%

Total votes : 21

Bradford or Clausen if we were to go QB 1st round

Postby newcastleskinsfan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:05 am

Admitedly i watch very little college football in the UK , we have it on espn and a i catch the odd game but it is hard to follow the top draft runners intensly .

The rumours are the Skins will draft a qb and since these are the top propects i'm looking for opinons on them both . You know strengths, weekneses .

I know Bradford could of been no1 pick if he had come out last season but after going back to college he got hurt , has he always had questionable arm strength ? Jimmy Clausen has played pro style offence and I read he's much tougher , is there a reason he isn't the clear no1 qb choice .

I have watched you tube footage of both and they both look like they can make all the throws .

if there is others to watch please state , i did watch Colt McCoy on you tube and agian he looked decent. Noticed he doesn't throw many deep though .

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 am

Bradford can make all the throws. He's no Brett Favre but not many people are. His issue is a shoulder surgery he had towards the end of the season (what Drew Brees had) and teams want to see if he's recovered from it and how his arm will look.

Claussen's issues is that he isn't known as a leader in the huddle and his arm strength is also lacking. He has a toe injury that required surgery too.

Neither QB threw at the NFL Combine but will at their upcoming pro-days. This is where coaches and scouts come to a location where the QB's will throw to their WR's, run their own drills, etc. It's a controlled environment for them vs. a cattle call like the Combine - which I prefer myself.

I didn't vote b/c for me, we've got to see the guys throw. Until the do that, we don't know how they are going to check out physically.

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

If we took a QB with the first pick I wouldn't really care between these two. I go back and forth all the time about which one I would rather have. My plan would be to take Colt McCoy or LeFevour from CMU in a later round.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am

Bradford can make all the throws. He's no Brett Favre but not many people are. His issue is a shoulder surgery he had towards the end of the season (what Drew Brees had) and teams want to see if he's recovered from it and how his arm will look.

I don't think that Bradford's injury is anywhere close to being as severe as Brees. When Brees got hurt there were questions about whether he would ever play football again, I haven't seen any such concerns about Bradford. If I remember correctly, Brees injured his rotator cuff, including a tear in his labrum. He essentially had his shoulder reconstructed. With Bradford I don't recall seeing anything about a rotator cuff, instead I think that he injured his A/C joint.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 am

It has got to be Bradford. If you are going to take a QB, he is the one.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:

I don't think that Bradford's injury is anywhere close to being as severe as Brees. When Brees got hurt there were questions about whether he would ever play football again, I haven't seen any such concerns about Bradford. If I remember correctly, Brees injured his rotator cuff, including a tear in his labrum. He essentially had his shoulder reconstructed. With Bradford I don't recall seeing anything about a rotator cuff, instead I think that he injured his A/C joint.

On NFL network, they kept referencing Bradfords injury to being like what Brees had. But I'm not sure b/c my knowledge is with knees, not shoulders.

piglet

Postby fresh1120 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:04 am

I think Clausen is a bum.....16-18 in his career at Notre Dame 1-2 against Navy. For the last two years there he was playing a soft schedule. I mean Brady Quinn had a better record there and we all know that how he is doing in the NFL.
rip #21

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:22 am

Apprently G4L hasn't voted yet, Tebow, aka "Other" doesn't have a vote yet! :lol:

Just teasing you, my friend. :wink:
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 am

I'm really not worried about how our future great QB played (or looked) as a QB in college or high school - all that concerns me is what Kyle, Mike and Bruce think about his ability to play the QB position really well in the NFL - Brady was not considered a very good QB at Michigan - actually, everyone thought that Drew Henson was a much better QB than Brady :)

I'm hoping that if we get the choice we will take Bradford but I'm pretty sure that Bradford will go to the Rams unless they can make a deal for a QB in the next few weeks, which is what they are trying to do :lol:
Hail to the Redskins

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:56 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Brady was not considered a very good QB at Michigan - actually, everyone thought that Drew Henson was a much better QB than Brady :)

Every time this story is told history is revised to downplay him. In a few more years he will have gone from Michigan water boy to NFL quarterback.

1) Brady was very admired at Michigan, he was the team captain and starter for two years.

2) No one wanted to start Henson over Brady. Henson was considered the future. Brady was a respected upperclassman. I agree with this in so far as people projected in the future Henson would be better then Brady, but the way it's stated here and more and more told people wanted Henson to start over Brady. Just not so. Brady was good, he was experienced.

Now I'll grant you that if my memory of Michigan quarterbacks after they left Michigan were erased and you made me guess which one would be a future 3 (and counting) Super Bowl winner and inevitable HOF quarterback, he would be in the pack of a half dozen or so candidates. But as that keeps getting retold he's now to the point he was "not considered very good." Sorry, that's just wrong.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 pm

You're exactly right Kaz - the fact is that people just thought that of the 2 QBs, Henson was sure to be the better pro prospect, and, while Brady was a highly regarded HS QB he was not considered the better QB for the pro game

We do like to stretch the facts on that situation AND that he was drafted in the 6th round so that is a good reason to not only look at QBs in the first round - there are not a lot of really good QBs that are taken in the later rounds though

soooo - we better get Bradford with that 4th pick :lol:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby fleetus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 am

This team isn't ready for a rookie starting QB and if we use the 1st pick on a Qb rather than OL, we won't be ready for a rookie QB next season either.
Build through the draft!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:20 am

I'm pretty sure that we'll take Okung because Bradford is almost certainly gone

HOWEVER, if these guys think that Bradford or Claussen can be a really good QB in the NFL then I'm hoping we can get him - I really don't care when he's able to start, as long as he can be a really good QB here for 10 or more years - I'm not as high on Claussen but whatever these guys think is fine with me, they certainly know a lot more about the potential of these guys than we do

When you can get a QB that is going to be really good for 10 or more years, you have to do that - having a really good QB is important for this franchise - I'm not sure that they feel that either is that type of QB, in which case they have to take Okung

the franchise needs to go through a lot over the next 2 seasons and 3 drafts and there will not be many players here at the begining of 2012 that are presently on the 53 man roster - I would just hope that everyone can have a little patience because I'm sure these guys have a long term plan and it is going to take time to undo the terrible mess this franchise is in right now because of the 2 bozos that were in charge here
Hail to the Redskins

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:09 am

I selected Other.. I obviously like both of those guys but I'm just being super stingy with that first pick. I think we can get my boy out of the big east at a later round and we could pick up Okung for the first pick. I know I know.. Pike isn't a college star like those guys but i just really want a good OL for the first pick.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:16 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:I selected Other.. I obviously like both of those guys but I'm just being super stingy with that first pick. I think we can get my boy out of the big east at a later round and we could pick up Okung for the first pick. I know I know.. Pike isn't a college star like those guys but i just really want a good OL for the first pick.

The question is who you'd pick ASSUMING we pick a quarterback in the first round

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010