Bradford or Clausen if we were to go QB 1st round

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Bradford or Clausen

Bradford
76%
Clausen
10%
Other , ( please state )
14%

Total votes : 21
Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 pm

yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote: ... I'm not so sure we'll have this many decent/talented QBs coming out next year. Kind of like if we don't get a fresh one now we may not be able to in the future. Plus it'll depend on how well we do this season and what our draft spot will be too.

I understand but I don't know that apart from Bradford there is a really good QB available this year - I'll agree that the most important player for any franchise is the QB but you also need to have a good offensive and defensive lines PLUS depth along both

I think Bradford goes to the Rams and I think the Lions will take Suh (hopefully) so we have to take Okung and then try and get lucky at the QB position

there is no way of really looking at the QB position in college this year and determining the prospects for the NFL game

We won SB's with 3 different adequate but not great QB's.

That's a tired argument. It was a completely different era and with no salary cap you could assemble an offensive line like the Hogs and a wide receiver trio as talented as Monk, Clark, and Sanders. Can't do that in today's game.

Offenses are also completely different now then they were back then. The NFL is a qb-drive and pass-oriented league. The rules (protecting qb's, strict pass interference calls) are geared towards pass-oriented offenses. Just look at the teams that reached the playoffs this year, everyone except the Jets had a very good qb leading the way (Colts, Saints, Pats, Cowboys, Chargers, Vikings, Cardinals).

To further my point, compare our 1991 offensive stats to today's NFL. In 1991, we attempted 540 rushes and only 447 pass attempts. Only the Jets had more than 540 rush attempts this season. Passing-wise, 29 teams attempted more passes in 2009 than we did in 1991. The only teams with less than 447 pass attempts in 2009 were the Browns, Bill, and Jets. Of the top 10 passing teams on 2009, 8 made the playoffs.

The NFL is now a pass-first league and unless you have a historically good defense (i.e. the Ravens with Dilfer), it is almost impossible to win a Super Bowl without a top qb. The argument that the Skins won with three different qb's is dated and frankly irrelevant with regard to today's NFL.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:48 pm

I don't care really as long as its not Tebow.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 pm

Good thing our in house doc did the surgery on Bradford to give us the inside scoop.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford reportedly scored an impressive 36 on the Wonderlic Test.

For comparison, Matt Ryan scored a 32 in 2008. Florida QB Tim Tebow had a 22 the 50-question test, and was outdone by both Colt McCoy of Texas (25) and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen (23). None of the scores are close to the red-flag range. Bradford's might have helped his draft stock slightly. Mar. 10 - 1:07 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/headli ... ?sport=NFL

No idea what this is
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 pm

I could care less about any test, physical or mental - I just want to have a really good QB - it's a lot easier to be consistent when the leader of the offense is a really good player - even better if you can get him early :D
Robert Griffin is a franchise QB - we are very fortunate

The Redskins FO are working hard to add players that fit the short term plan & hopefully ensure a consistently competitive franchise

Hail to the Redskins

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 am

Many Clausen bashers here.

So I must defend my horse.
Clausen was born and bred to play the QB position. He comes from a family of QBs. Learning from each of his brothers. He has also been under the spotlight his whole life. Since he was playing pop warner he has been winning championships. His mechanics are nearly perfect.

Clausen also played in a pro style offense at Notre Dame under Charlie Weiss QB guru.
Bradford on the other hand played in a spread style offense which usually does not translate well in the NFL. Danny Wuerfell anyone?

Clausen carried a very mediocre team in Notre Dame to a decent season. While Bradford was surrounded by loads of talent heck half of Bradfords teammates will be in the NFL this year. While Clausen only has maybe Golden tate.

I would also think an injury to the throwing shoulder of a QB should be a concern? Hmmmm...

Clausen has shown that he can get the job done. He has also stayed healthy along the way. Clausen also showed he can succeed with lesser talent. Put Clausen on that Oklahoma team and we are talking about a National Championship team.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:21 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Many Clausen bashers here.

So I must defend my horse...

As a Wolverine, the guy just didn't personally stoke fear in our hearts. I have a hard time thinking he's going to be a great QB at the next level. Maybe, and if we pick him I'll support him. I'm just saying my reaction now.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:09 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Many Clausen bashers here.

So I must defend my horse.
Clausen was born and bred to play the QB position. He comes from a family of QBs. Learning from each of his brothers. He has also been under the spotlight his whole life. Since he was playing pop warner he has been winning championships. His mechanics are nearly perfect.

Clausen also played in a pro style offense at Notre Dame under Charlie Weiss QB guru.
Bradford on the other hand played in a spread style offense which usually does not translate well in the NFL. Danny Wuerfell anyone?

Clausen carried a very mediocre team in Notre Dame to a decent season. While Bradford was surrounded by loads of talent heck half of Bradfords teammates will be in the NFL this year. While Clausen only has maybe Golden tate.

I would also think an injury to the throwing shoulder of a QB should be a concern? Hmmmm...

Clausen has shown that he can get the job done. He has also stayed healthy along the way. Clausen also showed he can succeed with lesser talent. Put Clausen on that Oklahoma team and we are talking about a National Championship team.

Claussen is an interesting player. He really seemed to mature and take his game to that next level this past season. I HATE ND with a passion, but Claussen was lights out in 09. 28 tds, 3700 yards, a 68 percent completion percentage, and only 4 picks. I prefer Bradford but I wouldn't be upset if we took Claussen.
Suck and Luck

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010