Russell Okung,OT, Oklahoma St.

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
One Step Away
Posts: 7652
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:31 am
Location: NoVA

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:37 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:If this guy is there, we have to start replacing the offensive line players - I'm not sure that anyone, currently here, even as a back-up, will be here at the begining of 2012

Okung will be a fixture at LT for many years

I look for this team to get a bunch of offensive linemen in here this spring


From where will be get them? We have seven draft choices and need two LT's, two quarterbacks, two running backs, and backups for a number of positions. If we don't land Kemo and Foote as FA's, we'll also need a NT and a LB. You guys are whistling past a graveyard. Also, you can count on at least 3-4 draft choices not making the team. Maybe we can get some of the guys we've cut back just to fill up the roster.


Thought we had 5 picks. I know the 3rd and 6th are already gone (I thnk it's 6th).

It's more than a 1 year process. Provided 1st is Okung, if the 2nd round is a steal of a NT, I don't see an issue. I'm fairly comfortable that after the june 1st cuts (and pre-season) we can pick up some quality (certainly more than we had last year) at the positions of need. Not necessarily franchise players, but adequate stopgaps until we can address it in the long term.

I don't see it as the end of the world just yet. Shanahan and Allen have a lot of work to do. Let's give these established guys the benefit of the doubt and a little patience. It's not like we're trusting a QB coach to build our team.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

G4L
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: no

Postby Gibbs4Life » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 am

Whether its Okung or Bradford we are soo lucky to have no.4

We're looking at a franchise QB or an heir apparent to Chris Samuels
HAIL

the 'mudge
Posts: 14606
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:07 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:Whether its Okung or Bradford we are soo lucky to have no.4
We're looking at a franchise QB or an heir apparent to Chris Samuels


Luck had nothing to do with it. Incompetence has some rewards.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1737
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Whether its Okung or Bradford we are soo lucky to have no.4

We're looking at a franchise QB or an heir apparent to Chris Samuels


Unfortunetely, this may not be the case. I actually would be surprised if Okung and Bradford were NOT off the board when we pick. I think it is obvious that STL is picking Bradford and that there is a strong possibility that TB or even DET take Okung. While I think (personally) that DET is lock to take Suh; TB may also take him. Penn is a solid OT, both he and Trueblood are FAs this year. It may be cheaper to sign Okung and let Penn go -- and if TB gets either the 1st and 3rd tender for Penn (which appears unlikely) or the 2nd for Trueblood, Okung may go to them. As for DET, they have relatively old OTs and may just decide to protect Stafford who was beat up all last year by his OL.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:24 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:If this guy is there, we have to start replacing the offensive line players - I'm not sure that anyone, currently here, even as a back-up, will be here at the begining of 2012

Okung will be a fixture at LT for many years

I look for this team to get a bunch of offensive linemen in here this spring


From where will be get them? We have seven draft choices and need two LT's, two quarterbacks, two running backs, and backups for a number of positions. If we don't land Kemo and Foote as FA's, we'll also need a NT and a LB. You guys are whistling past a graveyard. Also, you can count on at least 3-4 draft choices not making the team. Maybe we can get some of the guys we've cut back just to fill up the roster.


Thought we had 5 picks. I know the 3rd and 6th are already gone (I thnk it's 6th).

It's more than a 1 year process. Provided 1st is Okung, if the 2nd round is a steal of a NT, I don't see an issue. I'm fairly comfortable that after the june 1st cuts (and pre-season) we can pick up some quality (certainly more than we had last year) at the positions of need. Not necessarily franchise players, but adequate stopgaps until we can address it in the long term.

I don't see it as the end of the world just yet. Shanahan and Allen have a lot of work to do. Let's give these established guys the benefit of the doubt and a little patience. It's not like we're trusting a QB coach to build our team.


You're right. Didn't mean to write we have seven picks. I'm getting old. The situation is even worse than I painted it. By the way, since my former post, mock drafts have moved OKung into the first three picks. If we don't get Okung in the first we're liable to take a QB. If so, our last likely shot at a standout OL will be in the second round. 4-7 (if we still have a 6,) is unlikely to give us another OL starter. Right now, we have exactly one OL who should be a first team NFL player and Doc is nothing special.
I am alarmed. I think we have a pretty good shot at having another terrible OL. Hicks and Rabach are marginal, at lest. The rookie at LT could be a project, and the RT is yet to be found.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby SnyderSucks » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:30 pm

yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm thinking that Shanahan and Allen are looking a little bit further down the road than this year or next - by the begining of 2012 season we are going to replace everyone on the offensive line and I would imagine about 48 players of the 53 that were on the roster in 2009 - that's what I consider is the minimum we need to see here in order for this franchise to re-make itself

big job but that is the situation we are in right now

no rush, and no worries - we have a lot to get done



Where are you going to find 48 new players in 2 years?


By the start of 2012 is really three offseasons. They've already dumped 10 players from last year, and you can bet more will be gone by the time the season starts.

The real fun is which 5 does he think are still hear for 2012.

1) Cooley
2) Davis
3) One of either Kelly or Thomas
4) Orakpo
5) Haynsworth
With the Cardinals reaching the Super Bowl, is Dan Snyder officially the worst owner in the league?

#14
Posts: 4298
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 pm

SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm thinking that Shanahan and Allen are looking a little bit further down the road than this year or next - by the begining of 2012 season we are going to replace everyone on the offensive line and I would imagine about 48 players of the 53 that were on the roster in 2009 - that's what I consider is the minimum we need to see here in order for this franchise to re-make itself

big job but that is the situation we are in right now

no rush, and no worries - we have a lot to get done



Where are you going to find 48 new players in 2 years?


By the start of 2012 is really three offseasons. They've already dumped 10 players from last year, and you can bet more will be gone by the time the season starts.

The real fun is which 5 does he think are still hear for 2012.

1) Cooley
2) Davis
3) One of either Kelly or Thomas
4) Orakpo
5) Haynsworth


I didn't say it would be hard to cut players, but how do we replace 48 players in 3 years when we only have 7 (or fewer) draft picks. Good UFA's are hard to find (as our experience has shown), & good UDFA's are even harder to find.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby SnyderSucks » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:47 am

yupchagee wrote:
SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm thinking that Shanahan and Allen are looking a little bit further down the road than this year or next - by the begining of 2012 season we are going to replace everyone on the offensive line and I would imagine about 48 players of the 53 that were on the roster in 2009 - that's what I consider is the minimum we need to see here in order for this franchise to re-make itself

big job but that is the situation we are in right now

no rush, and no worries - we have a lot to get done



Where are you going to find 48 new players in 2 years?


By the start of 2012 is really three offseasons. They've already dumped 10 players from last year, and you can bet more will be gone by the time the season starts.

The real fun is which 5 does he think are still hear for 2012.

1) Cooley
2) Davis
3) One of either Kelly or Thomas
4) Orakpo
5) Haynsworth


I didn't say it would be hard to cut players, but how do we replace 48 players in 3 years when we only have 7 (or fewer) draft picks. Good UFA's are hard to find (as our experience has shown), & good UDFA's are even harder to find.


You almost have to do it. Beyond the 5 I listed (and I could easily see one of the TE's and Haynesworth gone in 3 seasons), it is somewhat difficult to find who would be still here in three seasons. Maybe Hall, maybe McIntosh, maybe Landry. Almost everyone else is either too old to count on three years from now, or not good enough.

How do they do it? The same way as everyone else. Drafts, trades, and free agency. It looks to me like the plan is to use this year as a rebuilding year and get pretty high picks for the next draft. There are roughly 200 players this year who would have been free agents that are not because of the CBA. So next year (or the next season that they play football), there will be roughly twice as many good free agents available as usual. There will still only be 32 teams, so with that many more people free, the amount you have to spend on most of the guys will go down and they'll be in a position to add a lot of players quickly. This season they'll replace 15 to 20 guys, see who they like as they rebuild, pick up as many good guys as they can in FA next year, then fill in the last few holes in the 2012 draft and be ready to really compete. You will also see them trade several players that still have value but aren't in the long term plans - Carter, Moss, Montgomery, Campbell, Landry, and one of the TE's are all potential trades.

Really, the back end of the roster isn't that hard to churn. The backups on a 4-12 team are very easy to replace. What you are looking at is replacing starters. Out of the 22, I've listed four still here in 2012, so you need 18 more in the next three seasons. They'll sign one or two in FA this year, draft two or three, and trade for one or two. Really, you are only looking at 6 new players a year - eminently doable.
With the Cardinals reaching the Super Bowl, is Dan Snyder officially the worst owner in the league?

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4603
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:23 pm

SnyderSucks wrote:Really, the back end of the roster isn't that hard to churn. The backups on a 4-12 team are very easy to replace. What you are looking at is replacing starters. Out of the 22, I've listed four still here in 2012, so you need 18 more in the next three seasons. They'll sign one or two in FA this year, draft two or three, and trade for one or two. Really, you are only looking at 6 new players a year - eminently doable.


And to be honest, it shouldn't be hard to replace most starters on a 4-12 team, either. There's a reason why the team went 4-12, and it's not only because of the back end of the roster.

#14
Posts: 4298
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 pm

SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm thinking that Shanahan and Allen are looking a little bit further down the road than this year or next - by the begining of 2012 season we are going to replace everyone on the offensive line and I would imagine about 48 players of the 53 that were on the roster in 2009 - that's what I consider is the minimum we need to see here in order for this franchise to re-make itself

big job but that is the situation we are in right now

no rush, and no worries - we have a lot to get done



Where are you going to find 48 new players in 2 years?


By the start of 2012 is really three offseasons. They've already dumped 10 players from last year, and you can bet more will be gone by the time the season starts.

The real fun is which 5 does he think are still hear for 2012.

1) Cooley
2) Davis
3) One of either Kelly or Thomas
4) Orakpo
5) Haynsworth


I didn't say it would be hard to cut players, but how do we replace 48 players in 3 years when we only have 7 (or fewer) draft picks. Good UFA's are hard to find (as our experience has shown), & good UDFA's are even harder to find.


You almost have to do it. Beyond the 5 I listed (and I could easily see one of the TE's and Haynesworth gone in 3 seasons), it is somewhat difficult to find who would be still here in three seasons. Maybe Hall, maybe McIntosh, maybe Landry. Almost everyone else is either too old to count on three years from now, or not good enough.

How do they do it? The same way as everyone else. Drafts, trades, and free agency. It looks to me like the plan is to use this year as a rebuilding year and get pretty high picks for the next draft. There are roughly 200 players this year who would have been free agents that are not because of the CBA. So next year (or the next season that they play football), there will be roughly twice as many good free agents available as usual. There will still only be 32 teams, so with that many more people free, the amount you have to spend on most of the guys will go down and they'll be in a position to add a lot of players quickly. This season they'll replace 15 to 20 guys, see who they like as they rebuild, pick up as many good guys as they can in FA next year, then fill in the last few holes in the 2012 draft and be ready to really compete. You will also see them trade several players that still have value but aren't in the long term plans - Carter, Moss, Montgomery, Campbell, Landry, and one of the TE's are all potential trades.

Really, the back end of the roster isn't that hard to churn. The backups on a 4-12 team are very easy to replace. What you are looking at is replacing starters. Out of the 22, I've listed four still here in 2012, so you need 18 more in the next three seasons. They'll sign one or two in FA this year, draft two or three, and trade for one or two. Really, you are only looking at 6 new players a year - eminently doable.


That's 6 new STARTERS a year for 3 years. Not easy.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby SnyderSucks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:05 pm

yupchagee wrote:
SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm thinking that Shanahan and Allen are looking a little bit further down the road than this year or next - by the begining of 2012 season we are going to replace everyone on the offensive line and I would imagine about 48 players of the 53 that were on the roster in 2009 - that's what I consider is the minimum we need to see here in order for this franchise to re-make itself

big job but that is the situation we are in right now

no rush, and no worries - we have a lot to get done



Where are you going to find 48 new players in 2 years?


By the start of 2012 is really three offseasons. They've already dumped 10 players from last year, and you can bet more will be gone by the time the season starts.

The real fun is which 5 does he think are still hear for 2012.

1) Cooley
2) Davis
3) One of either Kelly or Thomas
4) Orakpo
5) Haynsworth


I didn't say it would be hard to cut players, but how do we replace 48 players in 3 years when we only have 7 (or fewer) draft picks. Good UFA's are hard to find (as our experience has shown), & good UDFA's are even harder to find.


You almost have to do it. Beyond the 5 I listed (and I could easily see one of the TE's and Haynesworth gone in 3 seasons), it is somewhat difficult to find who would be still here in three seasons. Maybe Hall, maybe McIntosh, maybe Landry. Almost everyone else is either too old to count on three years from now, or not good enough.

How do they do it? The same way as everyone else. Drafts, trades, and free agency. It looks to me like the plan is to use this year as a rebuilding year and get pretty high picks for the next draft. There are roughly 200 players this year who would have been free agents that are not because of the CBA. So next year (or the next season that they play football), there will be roughly twice as many good free agents available as usual. There will still only be 32 teams, so with that many more people free, the amount you have to spend on most of the guys will go down and they'll be in a position to add a lot of players quickly. This season they'll replace 15 to 20 guys, see who they like as they rebuild, pick up as many good guys as they can in FA next year, then fill in the last few holes in the 2012 draft and be ready to really compete. You will also see them trade several players that still have value but aren't in the long term plans - Carter, Moss, Montgomery, Campbell, Landry, and one of the TE's are all potential trades.

Really, the back end of the roster isn't that hard to churn. The backups on a 4-12 team are very easy to replace. What you are looking at is replacing starters. Out of the 22, I've listed four still here in 2012, so you need 18 more in the next three seasons. They'll sign one or two in FA this year, draft two or three, and trade for one or two. Really, you are only looking at 6 new players a year - eminently doable.


That's 6 new STARTERS a year for 3 years. Not easy.


Definitely not easy, but hardly unprecedented. The current roster has 10 players on it that started opening day 2008 that could start this year. Included in that number are Campbell, Portis, Carter, McIntosh, Rogers, and Landry. Any of these guys could get demoted/traded/cut prior to the season. And in the last couple of seasons, Snyderatto was preaching "continuity". If not for the uncapped year, two or three of these guys would have left already. If not for a terrible guaranteed contract, Portis would have been cut already.
With the Cardinals reaching the Super Bowl, is Dan Snyder officially the worst owner in the league?

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:20 pm

yupchagee wrote:
SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SnyderSucks wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I'm thinking that Shanahan and Allen are looking a little bit further down the road than this year or next - by the begining of 2012 season we are going to replace everyone on the offensive line and I would imagine about 48 players of the 53 that were on the roster in 2009 - that's what I consider is the minimum we need to see here in order for this franchise to re-make itself

big job but that is the situation we are in right now

no rush, and no worries - we have a lot to get done



Where are you going to find 48 new players in 2 years?


By the start of 2012 is really three offseasons. They've already dumped 10 players from last year, and you can bet more will be gone by the time the season starts.

The real fun is which 5 does he think are still hear for 2012.

1) Cooley
2) Davis
3) One of either Kelly or Thomas
4) Orakpo
5) Haynsworth


I didn't say it would be hard to cut players, but how do we replace 48 players in 3 years when we only have 7 (or fewer) draft picks. Good UFA's are hard to find (as our experience has shown), & good UDFA's are even harder to find.


You almost have to do it. Beyond the 5 I listed (and I could easily see one of the TE's and Haynesworth gone in 3 seasons), it is somewhat difficult to find who would be still here in three seasons. Maybe Hall, maybe McIntosh, maybe Landry. Almost everyone else is either too old to count on three years from now, or not good enough.

How do they do it? The same way as everyone else. Drafts, trades, and free agency. It looks to me like the plan is to use this year as a rebuilding year and get pretty high picks for the next draft. There are roughly 200 players this year who would have been free agents that are not because of the CBA. So next year (or the next season that they play football), there will be roughly twice as many good free agents available as usual. There will still only be 32 teams, so with that many more people free, the amount you have to spend on most of the guys will go down and they'll be in a position to add a lot of players quickly. This season they'll replace 15 to 20 guys, see who they like as they rebuild, pick up as many good guys as they can in FA next year, then fill in the last few holes in the 2012 draft and be ready to really compete. You will also see them trade several players that still have value but aren't in the long term plans - Carter, Moss, Montgomery, Campbell, Landry, and one of the TE's are all potential trades.

Really, the back end of the roster isn't that hard to churn. The backups on a 4-12 team are very easy to replace. What you are looking at is replacing starters. Out of the 22, I've listed four still here in 2012, so you need 18 more in the next three seasons. They'll sign one or two in FA this year, draft two or three, and trade for one or two. Really, you are only looking at 6 new players a year - eminently doable.


That's 6 new STARTERS a year for 3 years. Not easy.


Can't be done without extensive use of the FA market. I'm glad some of you guys have begun looking at the numbers. We'll be lucky to get two or three starters a year from the draft, much less quality starters.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 4:20 pm
Location: Sterling, Virginia

Postby SKINFAN » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
Jake wrote:We would be fools not to take him in the draft. Big fools.


If we don't take him, Campbell will die.


LoL CH.. JC's been dying the past 2 years, what's 1 more. :D
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.


Proverbs 27:17

B-rad
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:12 pm

SKINFAN wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:
Jake wrote:We would be fools not to take him in the draft. Big fools.


If we don't take him, Campbell will die.


LoL CH.. JC's been dying the past 2 years, what's 1 more. :D


If they take Clausen they should have the decency to cut Campbell. Make Clausen play behind our line. See if he's worth the pick.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ
Posts: 13281
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm

brad wrote:If they take Clausen they should have the decency to cut Campbell and make Clausen play behind our line. See if he's worth the pick.


:shock: that sounds like it makes a whole lot of sense :shock:

Campbell should be kept here and given every opportunity to show those of us that think he's not a good QB that he can get the job done and then as soon as we get a decent offensive line he can try and keep his position

I'm thinking he will lose out to whomever we bring in here :lol:
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL


Week 3 - 27-21

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010