Russell Okung,OT, Oklahoma St.

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am

Seems like this is the emoticon to use for this thread, I must be down with the program too

:up:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:45 am

Unless something really crazy happens and it's possible, there are 4 guys at the top and it looks like we are getting either Bradford or Okung

I'm pretty sure the Rams are taking Bradford and unless these guys want to take a huge risk, we are getting Okung

We need to find a QB and I hope the only QB we are interested in using a draft pick on this year is Bradford - so we'll have Campbell and these other guys for a while while we get things sorted out on offense

it's true that you don't need a great QB if all the other parts of the offense are OK but that's what you'll be - an OK offense - this franchise will not be consistently competitive with an OK QB

Shanahan and Allen want to be better than OK and will find a way to have an offense that works in the NFL but more importantly has a leader at QB - that type of QB/leader is not here at this time - not even close

Okung will help but fortunately there are a lot of good offensive line players here and we'll need a couple of years to get it all together
Robert Griffin is a franchise QB - we are very fortunate

The Redskins FO are working hard to add players that fit the short term plan & hopefully ensure a consistently competitive franchise

Hail to the Redskins

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Unless something really crazy happens and it's possible, there are 4 guys at the top and it looks like we are getting either Bradford or Okung

If Suh or McCoy fall then we are very likely to take them. Even if they don't, I think Clausen is definitely being strongly considered as well. And Berry is definitely in play and should be. When you get a guy that talented available at #4 you have to think long term and getting special players, not just filling short term needs. It really depends a lot on their evaluations of Bradford, Okung and Clausen. If they rate them with the top guys, they'll be the pick. If they rate them below Suh, McCoy and Berry they may not be. We really have to pick talent first with a pick that high.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:01 pm

I agree, for the most part - if the draft order stays the same, there is little doubt as to the top 3 is all I'm saying and I just don't see them taking anyone but Okung at 4

I'm totally in favor of taking Claussen if they think he's going to be a really good QB but I don't think that is the case

I'm in favor of trying to get a really good QB in place here as soon as possible - I feel that the O line is important but there is no way you do very well without a very good QB, no matter how great the O line is - so while we need a good offensive line, IMHO, it is even more important to have a really good QB

If they cannot get Bradford, I really hope we take Okung and find a great QB somewhere else because I don't think Claussen is that QB

The Redskins FO are working hard to add players that fit the short term plan & hopefully ensure a consistently competitive franchise

Hail to the Redskins

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:09 pm

SkinsJock wrote:If they cannot get Bradford, I really hope we take Okung and find a great QB somewhere else because I don't think Claussen is that QB

I can't disagree personally, but the pros seem to be split on him being worth #4 so it's hard to say what Shanny and Allen will decide for sure. I'm with you that I'd be a lot more comfortable picking Okung then Clausen if the first three are Bradford, Suh and McCoy, but we'll have to see. I also think we need to seriously consider Berry. He's good enough even at Safety to be the guy there.

Also, while the first three do seem to be set, you never know for sure and there's the possibility of trades shaking things up.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Russell Okung,OT, Oklahoma St.

Postby SKINS#1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:57 pm

I think Okung has to be our selection at #4. Before drafting a QB I would like to see what we really have with Shan as a leader. Remember JG won 3 SB with 3 different QBs and none of them were Great, but he did have the HOGS.

Canes Skin

Re: Russell Okung,OT, Oklahoma St.

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:I think Okung has to be our selection at #4. Before drafting a QB I would like to see what we really have with Shan as a leader. Remember JG won 3 SB with 3 different QBs and none of them were Great, but he did have the HOGS.

Different era of football.
Suck and Luck

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:06 am

SkinsJock wrote:
brad7686 wrote:I'm being facetious, of course they won't cut Campbell if they don't draft Okung. But they should. Nobody should really have to play behind that line. Especially a guy that is marked to be leaving soon anyway. And whatever qb they took would probly hold out so they don't have to play behind it.

no worries brad - we will have new players on the offensive line - I agree that "that line" was atrocious but the offensive line on opening day will not resemble "that" group, except for the uniforms :lol:

No worries? If we had to field the team right
now, we could easily have an O line identical to last year's. Our only move has been to sign Hicks, and he might well be beaten out by Williams. Here's some news-- we only have five draft picks. If we spend a first round pick on a QB, we'll only get one of the country's outstanding linemen (second round) and he'll be a long shot to be a star, might not even be a starter. Result: the improvement of the OL will be minimal at best. Shany and Allen better start making deals instead of sitting on their hands in regard to the OL.

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:
redskindave wrote:Okung would be a great pick for us if he is still their at #4

Agreed. :up:

I am all for that too - this guy could be a force here for many years to come :up:

after what Bradford showed yesterday we should be able to get Okung at the 4th slot after the Lions and Bucs take the 2 DTs - the only problem is that there is a lot of time between now and the draft and who knows what sort of wheeling and dealing is going to happen

I just hope that we find a way to get as many draft picks as possible in both this and next year's drafts - even if we have to give up good players for picks in next year's draft that is fine with me too

this franchise should be looking to the 2012 season - we have a lot of mess to clean up here

A good player (if he has some years left) is a better bet than almost any draft pick. A draft pick is only, hopefully, a good player. Because we haven't been focused on the draft in the number of years, we over-value draft picks generally. To give up good players for draft picks is a great way to lose. Ask the Packers how building by the draft has worked out for them. There's an article about it on one of their sites.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 am

To me it makes more sense for the Lions to take Okung. I hope Okung drops to us. Matt Stafford was sacked alot last year. So it would only make sense for the Lions to take an OT.

I do hope the Lions choose otherwise. But, they no longer have Millen at GM so they will be smarter in who they choose.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 am

HEROHAMO wrote:To me it makes more sense for the Lions to take Okung. I hope Okung drops to us. Matt Stafford was sacked alot last year. So it would only make sense for the Lions to take an OT.

I do hope the Lions choose otherwise. But, they no longer have Millen at GM so they will be smarter in who they choose.

The Lions could feasibly take Okung, but Suh and McCoy are dominant defenders, and they are a very bad defensive team, which they must consider. If Okung was gone, the skins would have to figure out some way to trade for Gaither.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:56 pm

brad7686 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:To me it makes more sense for the Lions to take Okung. I hope Okung drops to us. Matt Stafford was sacked alot last year. So it would only make sense for the Lions to take an OT.

The Lions could feasibly take Okung, but Suh and McCoy are dominant defenders, and they are a very bad defensive team, which they must consider. If Okung was gone, the skins would have to figure out some way to trade for Gaither.

The Lions made a lot of moves on defense this off-season. I doubt they'll be as bad as they were last year.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:10 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
brad7686 wrote:

The Lions made a lot of moves on defense this off-season. I doubt they'll be as bad as they were last year.

other than an aging Kyle Vanden Bosch I don't see where they have improved much.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Unless something really crazy happens and it's possible, there are 4 guys at the top and it looks like we are getting either Bradford or Okung

I'm pretty sure the Rams are taking Bradford and unless these guys want to take a huge risk, we are getting Okung

We need to find a QB and I hope the only QB we are interested in using a draft pick on this year is Bradford - so we'll have Campbell and these other guys for a while while we get things sorted out on offense

it's true that you don't need a great QB if all the other parts of the offense are OK but that's what you'll be - an OK offense - this franchise will not be consistently competitive with an OK QB

Shanahan and Allen want to be better than OK and will find a way to have an offense that works in the NFL but more importantly has a leader at QB - that type of QB/leader is not here at this time - not even close

Okung will help but fortunately there are a lot of good offensive line players here and we'll need a couple of years to get it all together

There are no hot prospects for OL in the draft who will fall as low as rounds 4-7. Also, its unlikely that a top OL player will be cut by anyone else. So, the question is: from where are those good offensive linemen you are talking about going to come?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:55 pm

I just love surprises and draft picks that work out better than anticipated, don't you :D

in my estimation these guys are trying to do the best they can with our offensive line but in all honesty that is going to take a couple of drafts NOT one draft - the O line here was not even close to being decent but I would think that the guys in charge here now will have some semblance of an O line in place fairly soon

in my estimation I would expect that we will see a decent offensive line here by late next year and early 2012 - thankfully we now have a QB that will be able to manage an offense behind a less than adequate line while the FO replaces all the guys that were here last season

Hail to the Redskins

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010