Nose Tackle - the most important position for this new D

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Charlottesville, Va.

Nose Tackle - the most important position for this new D

Postby fleetus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 am

Right now, if the season started today, I think Monty would be the NT. If Monty focuses on the weight room and adds strength this off-season he might be the NT anyway. But, we would still need depth and it would be good to have either a veteran NT or rookie compete for the job. Here are my top two hopefuls:

Kemoeatu - is visiting tomorrow. He missed all of last season with an achilles injury. He's had two surgeries on it since then and is still questionable for the beginning of camp. So you obviously don't want to throw a ton of money at this guy. BUT, he was a force for the Panthers and is a mountain of a man. Plus, there are 5-6 other teams looking for 3-4 NT depth, so someone will snap him up if we don't.

Cam Thomas - UNC - projected to go in the 2nd round. Since 3-4 NT is a hot spot in the NFL, he might go higher than projected. We can only hope that we can snag him with our 2nd round pick. He is very strong, 330+ and is a run stuffing behemoth.

Terrence Cody - Ala. - 370lbs!!! :shock: Other than his size, there are question marks. His endurance is lacking and he has had some injuries. But for a middle round pick, plenty of NFL coaches would love to have a chance to coach up this TEd Washington looking NT.
Build through the draft!

#14
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: Nose Tackle - the most important position for this new D

Postby yupchagee » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:11 pm

fleetus wrote:Right now, if the season started today, I think Monty would be the NT. If Monty focuses on the weight room and adds strength this off-season he might be the NT anyway. But, we would still need depth and it would be good to have either a veteran NT or rookie compete for the job. Here are my top two hopefuls:

Kemoeatu - is visiting tomorrow. He missed all of last season with an achilles injury. He's had two surgeries on it since then and is still questionable for the beginning of camp. So you obviously don't want to throw a ton of money at this guy. BUT, he was a force for the Panthers and is a mountain of a man. Plus, there are 5-6 other teams looking for 3-4 NT depth, so someone will snap him up if we don't.

Cam Thomas - UNC - projected to go in the 2nd round. Since 3-4 NT is a hot spot in the NFL, he might go higher than projected. We can only hope that we can snag him with our 2nd round pick. He is very strong, 330+ and is a run stuffing behemoth.

Terrence Cody - Ala. - 370lbs!!! :shock: Other than his size, there are question marks. His endurance is lacking and he has had some injuries. But for a middle round pick, plenty of NFL coaches would love to have a chance to coach up this TEd Washington looking NT.


Monty hasn't done anything in the last 2 years. I was surprised that we even tendered him.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Charlottesville, Va.

Postby fleetus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:51 pm

This could be the break he needed, or the straw that broke the camel's back. But he is the only guy on the roster who has the size/strength to play NT.
Build through the draft!

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Nose Tackle - the most important position for this new D

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:30 pm

fleetus wrote:Right now, if the season started today, I think Monty would be the NT. If Monty focuses on the weight room and adds strength this off-season he might be the NT anyway. But, we would still need depth and it would be good to have either a veteran NT or rookie compete for the job. Here are my top two hopefuls:

Kemoeatu - is visiting tomorrow. He missed all of last season with an achilles injury. He's had two surgeries on it since then and is still questionable for the beginning of camp. So you obviously don't want to throw a ton of money at this guy. BUT, he was a force for the Panthers and is a mountain of a man. Plus, there are 5-6 other teams looking for 3-4 NT depth, so someone will snap him up if we don't.

Cam Thomas - UNC - projected to go in the 2nd round. Since 3-4 NT is a hot spot in the NFL, he might go higher than projected. We can only hope that we can snag him with our 2nd round pick. He is very strong, 330+ and is a run stuffing behemoth.

Terrence Cody - Ala. - 370lbs!!! :shock: Other than his size, there are question marks. His endurance is lacking and he has had some injuries. But for a middle round pick, plenty of NFL coaches would love to have a chance to coach up this TEd Washington looking NT.


Monty is soft and lazy. He isn't a NT.

There is no way in hell we should be using a 2nd round pick, with all of the holes that we have on offense, on a defensive linemen. We already used our first rounder last year, signed Haynesworth, and used our 3rd rounder from this year (last year's supplemental) on the d-line. We need to focus on the offense with this draft (oline, qb, rb).
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Charlottesville, Va.

Postby fleetus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:51 am

So, Kemo is signed. He is still an injury risk. I guess they could just move Haynesworth to the middle if Kemo went down. Also, I read that both the guys I mentioned, Cody and Thomas are moving up draft boards. So, hope I was wrong and one of them is there for us, but competition for NT's is getting tighter each year.

This is the downside to the 3-4. Yeah it's great to pick from all those speedy tweener 245-265 lbs DE/LB's in the draft each year, but then, you have to somehow find a 350lbs NT who doesn't mid eating blockers all game long without ever being in a highlight film.

Consider this. The Steelers, Patriots, Packers and Dolphins have all re-signed their NT's recently. The Patriots traded their star DE, Seymour last year because they knew they could not afford new contracts for both Seymour and Wilfork. Wilfork was the priority.

The only real other NT left in free agency was Jamal Williams. Despite being 34 for this season, the Broncos gave him a 3 yr./16M contract.

The Cowboys, Chiefs and Dolphins all have NT as a priority in the draft. Cowboys think Ratliff might be more dynamic at end and would like better depth. The Dolphins have aging Ferguson at NT, but he is also suspended for the first half of the 2010 season.

Here's an updated list (not including DT's expected to do in the 1st round):
Cam Thomas, North Carolina, 6'4" 331 - early 2nd round or higher
Terrence Cody, Ala., 6'4" 370 - great size, but questions about maintaining his weight and endurance remain. But this is THE guy, if you want a ready to go, 2 down NT in the NFL, without using a 1st round pick. He dominated in college.
Torrell Troup, UCF, 6'3" 314
Linval Joseph, East Carolina, 6'5" 328 - the next Fridge? HAs played goal line FB too.
Vince Oghobaase, Duke 6'6" 302 - has frame to get bigger.
Kade Weston, Georgia, 6'5" 322 - played NT in college
Martin Tevaseu, UNLV, 6'1" 329 - I really like this guy. He might be available late 6-7th rd or even as an UFA, was a team captain and was praised by Schotty in the E-W Shrine game for his great work ethic.
Build through the draft!

newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:53 am

Postby jmoss10686 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:09 pm

fleetus wrote:Terrence Cody, Ala., 6'4" 370 - great size, but questions about maintaining his weight and endurance remain. But this is THE guy, if you want a ready to go, 2 down NT in the NFL, without using a 1st round pick. He dominated in college.


I don't know if I'd really say great size. He's just really fat lol

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Charlottesville, Va.

Postby fleetus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:09 am

Actually, scouts and coaches are impressed with him because he dropped 30 pounds coming into the combine weighing 340. He was THE MAN on the Crimson Tide National Championship defense. He played nose tackle in Nick Saban's 3-4 and would be a natural fit for Haslett's 3-4. He's also known as a decent team leader as well.
Build through the draft!

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4594
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am

Image

Buy a bra, brother...

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Charlottesville, Va.

Postby fleetus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Image

Buy a bra, brother...


Question is, are you interested in dating him or drafting him to play Nose Tackle? :wink: Think he'll do just fine at NT.
Build through the draft!

One Step Away
Posts: 7652
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:31 am
Location: NoVA

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm

To me, it looks like he needs to amass a lot more muscle in order to excel in the big leagues...
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6348
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:02 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:To me, it looks like he needs to amass a lot more muscle in order to excel in the big leagues...


:up:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010