SI Projects The Redskins Drafting Cam Newton

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby broomboy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:You're the only roommate available in Massachusetts?

I'm the only one who has known these two people for almost 20 years and who is willing to put up with THEIR bologna/garbage on a daily basis (mostly because the financial deal is pretty darn good). They have their own quirks that most people would not put up with in roommates.

You seem like a real ray of sunshsine.

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

broomboy wrote:You seem like a real ray of sunshsine.

Yep. Ever since I had my sense of humor surgically removed as a child to make enough space for my Ego, I've been a world of fun to be around.

Life is not about fun, enjoyment, or pleasure. Never has been and never will be.

Hog

Postby broomboy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:28 am

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
broomboy wrote:You seem like a real ray of sunshsine.

Yep. Ever since I had my sense of humor surgically removed as a child to make enough space for my Ego, I've been a world of fun to be around.

Life is not about fun, enjoyment, or pleasure. Never has been and never will be.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:Life is not about fun, enjoyment, or pleasure. Never has been and never will be.

Your life, maybe. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 pm

After last nights performance by Cam, even though they won, he was terribly inaccurate. I don't care what he does at the combine, this is game tape. This is defenders in your face, etc and he missed several WIDE open receivers for TD's.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:00 pm

frankcal20 wrote:After last nights performance by Cam, even though they won, he was terribly inaccurate. I don't care what he does at the combine, this is game tape. This is defenders in your face, etc and he missed several WIDE open receivers for TD's.

I only watched a little of him last nite, but I wasn't overly impressed. And the scheme he's runnin is horrid to relate to the NFL.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Postby yupchagee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Because you've been ignoring it for thirty years. Where has that gotten you?

I'm not the sort of person who changes my viewpoints or opinions very easily. Never have been and I don't see that changing. I'll go right on ignoring that advice for another thirty years.

Taking sports as seriously as I do has never gotten me anywhere. Nor has it ever kept me from getting anywhere.

You have no way of knowing that.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 am

yupchagee wrote:You have no way of knowing that.

It has never hindered me from getting anywhere I've wanted to be. it may have closed off other avenues, but not the ones I've wanted to take. Thenagain what I want out of life is not the same as what most people want, so I don't expect people to understand.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

By drafting Newton with the tenth pick, I guess the pondits have come to the conclusion that Snyder and the skins are officially drafting idiots.

That would be a horrendous pick. He's not worth the #10. He's 1/100 as good as Vick and overall not NFL QB material -- especially with this line.

If we were to get a QB, we need one with a quick trigger. Newton is used to having the BEST OL in college football. AND even with that line, he still throws a huge amount of INTs when compared to the other QBs in the draft -- and he throws a lot less.

Lets hope Snyder and Allen aren't as dumb as most believe.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:Shanahan isn't going to draft a 2-3 year project qb. We don't have that luxury. He is far more likely to go after more NFL-ready qb's like Mallet and Locker.

Not sure Locker is NFL ready either. Take it for what it's worth, but he doesn't have great games against top opponents.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 pm

markshark84 wrote:By drafting Newton with the tenth pick, I guess the pondits have come to the conclusion that Snyder and the skins are officially drafting idiots.

That would be a horrendous pick. He's not worth the #10. He's 1/100 as good as Vick and overall not NFL QB material -- especially with this line.....

Okay. Opinion noted. Now for the other half of the equation.... Who DO you want to see the Redskins acquire at the QB position in the offseason, or what do you think the team should do with the QB's currently on the roster?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:26 pm

I like the 6'7" 250 cannon from Arkansas. I think his name is Ryan Mallett.

Accuracy: Flashes very good accuracy on short and intermediate throws. Consistently hits the receiver in stride on crossing routes, slants and post patterns. Shows good touch and ball placement for the fade route. Throws with a flat trajectory on deep routes, showing only moderate accuracy on deep throws overall. Can make the "wow" throw and there isn't an NFL route he can't hit. Accuracy nosedives, however, when he is forced to move his feet, as his long legs prevent him from re-setting quickly and he throws with just his arm. When his feet aren't set, Mallett whips the ball, leading to passes sailing high and others diving low, making his throws difficult for receivers to predict or track and set up for yardage after the catch.

Arm Strength: Mallett's greatest trait. Possesses as strong an arm as there is in the country. Can fit the ball through closing windows, making him capable of completing throws most cannot. Drives the ball on the deep out and can zip the back shoulder throw against tight coverage. Has a tendency to get overly confident with his arm and will attempt to make ill-advised throws into coverage. Has learned to take some speed off when needed.

Setup/Release: Takes most of his snaps out of the shotgun, though he has shown the ability to drop back from center. Gains depth due to the length of his gait rather than foot quickness. Though his long arm makes for an awkward-looking windup, Mallett possesses a fluid, over-the-top release that generates momentum, resulting in the ball exploding out of his hand. Steps into his throws when he has room in the pocket, but loses accuracy when forced to rely solely on his arm.

Reading Defenses: Excellent height to see over the top of his linemen and read defenses. Good field vision, showing the ability to check down from his first and second options to drop passes off to outlet receivers. Flashes the ability to look off the safety, but most do this more consistently. Generally reads the blitz coming and can make defenses pay for their aggression by hitting the hot route, but doesn't possess the athleticism to escape the pocket when he is surprised.

On the Move: Can slide laterally to avoid the rush. Improved significantly as a junior in stepping up in the pocket to buy time. Willing to take a big hit to complete the pass. Has heavy feet and long legs, however, causing him to take longer than most to set his feet and throw accurately when forced to vacate the pocket. Threw critical interceptions late against Alabama and Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl when this occurred. Willing to tuck the ball and run when he's given a free lane and has exhausted his throwing options, but is no danger to consistently gain yardage as a scrambler. Doesn't get low enough or show more than average leg drive for the QB sneak.

Intangibles: Some have concerns over his maturity level. Has a brash personality that has caused some to question whether he possesses the leadership to handle an NFL huddle. Was never voted a team captain with the Razorbacks despite the fact that quarterbacks are often pushed by coaching staffs as such. Very confident in his own talent and early in his career wasn't known for his dedication to the film room. Arrested for public intoxication on March 1, 2009, in Fayetteville.

His upside is huge. His uncoachable tools are elite, and his weknesses appear to be the things that are coachable.

Could become anything from a rich-man's Joe Flacco to a Ryan Leaf.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:08 pm

YOU MISSED A COUPLE OF THINGS......

Accuracy: Flashes very good accuracy on short and intermediate throws. Consistently hits the receiver in stride on crossing routes, slants and post patterns. Shows good touch and ball placement for the fade route. Throws with a flat trajectory on deep routes, showing only moderate accuracy on deep throws overall. Can make the "wow" throw and there isn't an NFL route he can't hit. Accuracy nosedives, however, when he is forced to move his feet, as his long legs prevent him from re-setting quickly and he throws with just his arm. When his feet aren't set, Mallett whips the ball, leading to passes sailing high and others diving low, making his throws difficult for receivers to predict or track and set up for yardage after the catch.

Arm Strength: Mallett's greatest trait. Possesses as strong an arm as there is in the country. Can fit the ball through closing windows, making him capable of completing throws most cannot. Drives the ball on the deep out and can zip the back shoulder throw against tight coverage.Has a tendency to get overly confident with his arm and will attempt to make ill-advised throws into coverage. Has learned to take some speed off when needed.

Setup/Release: Takes most of his snaps out of the shotgun, though he has shown the ability to drop back from center. Gains depth due to the length of his gait rather than foot quickness. Though his long arm makes for an awkward-looking windup, Mallett possesses a fluid, over-the-top release that generates momentum, resulting in the ball exploding out of his hand. Steps into his throws when he has room in the pocket, but loses accuracy when forced to rely solely on his arm.[/quote]

Reading Defenses: Excellent height to see over the top of his linemen and read defenses. Good field vision, showing the ability to check down from his first and second options to drop passes off to outlet receivers. [color=yellow]Flashes the ability to look off the safety, but most do this more consistently.[/quote] Generally reads the blitz coming and can make defenses pay for their aggression by hitting the hot route, [color=yellow]but doesn't possess the athleticism to escape the pocket when he is surprised.[/quote]

On the Move: Can slide laterally to avoid the rush. Improved significantly as a junior in stepping up in the pocket to buy time. Willing to take a big hit to complete the pass. [color=yellow]Has heavy feet and long legs, however, causing him to take longer than most to set his feet and throw accurately when forced to vacate the pocket. Threw critical interceptions late against Alabama and Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl when this occurred.[/quote] Willing to tuck the ball and run when he's given a free lane and has exhausted his throwing options, [color=yellow]but is no danger to consistently gain yardage as a scrambler. Doesn't get low enough or show more than average leg drive for the QB sneak.

Intangibles: Some have concerns over his maturity level. Has a brash personality that has caused some to question whether he possesses the leadership to handle an NFL huddle. Was never voted a team captain with the Razorbacks despite the fact that quarterbacks are often pushed by coaching staffs as such. [color=yellow]Very confident in his own talent and early in his career wasn't known for his dedication to the film room. Arrested for public intoxication on March 1, 2009, in Fayetteville.[/quote]

Apparently you and I look at opposite things in these types of reports. I look for the NEGATIVES, which Mallet has in every single category. Sorry, but that's not the sort of guy I have ANY interest in spending the #10 pick on.

As I've said before, if we select him he will be like Campbell, a guy I hope fails miserably while we win as a team.

His upside is huge. His uncoachable tools are elite, and his weknesses appear to be the things that are coachable.

Could become anything from a rich-man's Joe Flacco to a Ryan Leaf.

DarthMonk[/quote]

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
As I've said before, if we select him he will be like Campbell, a guy I hope fails miserably while we win as a team.

His upside is huge.

:shock: where do you come up with tripe like this?

why oh why do you stay here and make us so aware of your level of credibility?

ROTFALMAO
Hail to the Redskins

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:43 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Redskins_Fanatic wrote:

His upside is huge.

:shock: where do you come up with tripe like this?

why oh why do you stay here and make us so aware of your level of credibility?

ROTFALMAO

Think if we draft Cam, SF's done? It's one heck of a big "edge" he's on. He seems to have deep roots on that edge.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010