SI Projects The Redskins Drafting Cam Newton

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

There will be a guy at #10 that can have an immediate impact. Taking into account that we have weaknesses everywhere except TE, LT, and SS, there will be a guy at #10 that can come in and start right away. When you are in the stage of rebuilding that we are in you take the best guy available.

And I think your hate for the Patriots blinds you to how well they actually draft. Are you saying McCourty, Wilfork, Mayo, Meriweather, Brady, Light, Mankins, Branch, Tate, and Spikes among others have no talent? That team has plenty of talent that they drafted, thats why they are good year in year out.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:44 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Yes, it's a moronic post. But if dim witted, talentless football players who do what they are told is the way to win Super Bowls, I'd be all for it.


That's because you have no Principles. You are so focused on WINNING rather than doing things the RIGHT WAY that you'd probably sell your soul for a shot at a Championship, just like Bill Beliscum and that entire franchise has.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:There will be a guy at #10 that can have an immediate impact. Taking into account that we have weaknesses everywhere except TE, LT, and SS, there will be a guy at #10 that can come in and start right away. When you are in the stage of rebuilding that we are in you take the best guy available.


Assuming that the player selected plays a position which I do not believe to be of the highest need; then he will be a player who I actively root for the failure and injury of.

MDSKINSFAN wrote:And I think your hate for the Patriots blinds you to how well they actually draft. Are you saying McCourty, Wilfork, Mayo, Meriweather, Brady, Light, Mankins, Branch, Tate, and Spikes among others have no talent? That team has plenty of talent that they drafted, thats why they are good year in year out.


I don't care how well ANYONE drafts. I HATE THE DRAFT. Given my druthers we would trade away every pick, every year and literally ignore the fact that the ridiculous diseased cattle auction even occurs.

IF drafting well is what is required to WIN in the NFL now, I truly hope we NEVER AGAIN become a winning franchise.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Yes, it's a moronic post. But if dim witted, talentless football players who do what they are told is the way to win Super Bowls, I'd be all for it.


That's because you have no Principles. You are so focused on WINNING rather than doing things the RIGHT WAY that you'd probably sell your soul for a shot at a Championship, just like Bill Beliscum and that entire franchise has.

I keep asking what these "principles" you're referring to are and keep getting no response.

What we know is that principles don't involve not making wild, baseless, ridiculous accusations and they do involve not having a kicker. I'm not seeing that as some sort of "higher plane" of existence.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 am

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:There will be a guy at #10 that can have an immediate impact. Taking into account that we have weaknesses everywhere except TE, LT, and SS, there will be a guy at #10 that can come in and start right away. When you are in the stage of rebuilding that we are in you take the best guy available.


Assuming that the player selected plays a position which I do not believe to be of the highest need; then he will be a player who I actively root for the failure and injury of.

MDSKINSFAN wrote:And I think your hate for the Patriots blinds you to how well they actually draft. Are you saying McCourty, Wilfork, Mayo, Meriweather, Brady, Light, Mankins, Branch, Tate, and Spikes among others have no talent? That team has plenty of talent that they drafted, thats why they are good year in year out.


I don't care how well ANYONE drafts. I HATE THE DRAFT. Given my druthers we would trade away every pick, every year and literally ignore the fact that the ridiculous diseased cattle auction even occurs.

IF drafting well is what is required to WIN in the NFL now, I truly hope we NEVER AGAIN become a winning franchise.


Wow, you've got some serious issues. Either that or you're a troll. Maybe you're really a Cowboys or Eagles fan? :twisted:
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:Wow, you've got some serious issues. Either that or you're a troll. Maybe you're really a Cowboys or Eagles fan? :twisted:


No to the Troll, Yes to the "issues". Most of them are related to the fact that the NFL has turned from the greatest sport in the world into an absolute cesspool of garbage at every level from the quality of play on the field to the style of management that individual teams and the league operate under. Most of which can be traced directly back to the 1994 CBA and the change from the NFL being a SPORT to it being a BUSINESS.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13735
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:42 am

I'm sorry but it's really not easy to have a discussion when someone is so blind and absolutely unwilling to even consider other's points of view here - R_F is so totally against the draft that any discussion about a rookie being a part of this franchise is treated with derision and another load of BS

It's a shame that we have to be subjected to this almost everytime we consider anything to do with the future of this franchise and the fact that we need to add so many young players and look to rebuild through the draft as best we can

R_F would like the NFL to go back to the era of the 70s and 80s - it's kind of a shame that he can't too :wink:

The NFL ain't changing and apparently, neither is R_F
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:14 am

SkinsJock wrote:R_F would like the NFL to go back to the era of the 70s and 80s - it's kind of a shame that he can't too :wink:

The NFL ain't changing and apparently, neither is R_F


Not quite all the way back to that. The late 1980's and early 1990's were very close to what I would like to see the NFL operate like. Though I would take the 1970's over today's game in an instant.

The NFL is no longer a sport. It's a business. For the players, coaches, owners, and the League. It disgusts me almost as much as the NBA does to see guys helping each other up off the ground, patting each other on the back, and acting like they're best friends instead of bitter enemies. THAT is NOT sports. Never has been and never will be.

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:24 am

If you want to argue this point backwards and forwards until the end of time, can I suggest that you start a thread on the subject?

It's getting a little tedious having to wade through the same old treacle to get to the real discussion around here.

As for the subject of this thread, I don't see any reason to draft Newton in the first round, and certainly not in the top ten. A fantastic athlete who can throw the ball. But can he play quarterback effectively in the NFL? I'm nowhere near convinced of that possibility, and if there's significant doubt in the Redskins front office about it as well, then we shouldn't go anywhere near him.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13735
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:14 pm

thanks Trevor - any thread with the word "draft" seem to get sidetracked by ... never mind [-X

I'm glad that dumb and dumber are not here anymore because they could make the mistake of taking the Heisman winner just because ...

I doubt that we're taking on the project that I think is Cam Newton - he may work out well in the NFL but we really don't need that right now

I think that if we can find a QB he'll be able to play a lot sooner and IF we're keeping Grossman we may need to see him on the field a lot quicker than Newton will be ready
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1808
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Yes, it's a moronic post. But if dim witted, talentless football players who do what they are told is the way to win Super Bowls, I'd be all for it.


That's because you have no Principles. You are so focused on WINNING rather than doing things the RIGHT WAY that you'd probably sell your soul for a shot at a Championship, just like Bill Beliscum and that entire franchise has.


I hate the Patriots just as much as anyone on here (maybe more), but you can't knock them for winning. You just can't. In football, people don't care about how you win, just that you win. To sit here and say that the Patriots win the wrong way and that they sold their soul just makes you sound bitter.

Honestly, they do things right; I wish we could do it the way they do. They build in the draft, they have a good GM that doesn't need high draft picks or big time free agents, a good coach with a vision, a unified, smart TEAM that works together. The skins don't have even one of those qualities. It's a shame.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 pm

So, back to Cam Newton: Mel Kiper still has the Redskins selecting Newton at #10 barring anything unforeseen in the background investigation or the intangibles (meaning Wonderlic tests).

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13735
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: in RG3's corner

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:56 pm

I just don't think SI (or anyone that thinks we might bring in Newton) is taking into account that IF Shanahan drafts a QB with his top pick, he will draft a QB that:

a) he thinks has a really good chance to be very good

b) he thinks has a really good chance to be ready to play soon

I think Newton might turn out OK but I doubt that Shanahan has the time to wait for that to happen

Newton is going to need a lot of time to get ready to play at the top level
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1808
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:02 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
markshark84 wrote:By drafting Newton with the tenth pick, I guess the pondits have come to the conclusion that Snyder and the skins are officially drafting idiots.

That would be a horrendous pick. He's not worth the #10. He's 1/100 as good as Vick and overall not NFL QB material -- especially with this line.....


Okay. Opinion noted. Now for the other half of the equation.... Who DO you want to see the Redskins acquire at the QB position in the offseason, or what do you think the team should do with the QB's currently on the roster?


Honestly, I am not sure I see any single NCAA QB that is worth the #10 (of those in the draft). There are so many guys that have some of the tools I believe would make them successful in the NFL and lack the other tools necessary. Like Moore, he just doesn't have NFL size. Or Mallet -- he has a ton of the tools, except for the one in his head. Newton is just not ready and is seriously lacking passing accuracy. I think that Luck and OU's Jones are good, but they are staying in school. Then again, I am not sure why there isn't more talk about Dalton out of TCU.

All in all, I just don't see a quality QB -- but, I am sure there are a couple in this draft that will turn out well -- there usually are. Personally, I would take an OT with our pick. We need to get our line squared away. With that said, if there is a QB worth taking at 10, I say to pull the trigger -- I am of the opinion that if you can get a franchise QB, then do it, but right now I don't see one.


I think that Gabbert is certainly worth a top 10 pick. I would tend to agree with you about the others that you mentioned.


I almost feel like he is the "hot" name right now. You really didn't hear much about him during the season. I tend to be skeptical about QBs that leave early, but a junior leaving is better than sophs. Personally, I think he is leaving because there aren't many quality QBs in the draft this year, which worries me. With that said, he appears to have all the tools in size; I am not sure what he is like mentally, but he does appear to play well against solid competition. All in all, he does seem to be a quality QB, but I just don't know that much about him.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

B-rad
User avatar
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:40 pm

I've been thinking about it and I mean its not like we would be getting a lot at ten, the good pass rushers will be gone, the two corners might be gone, so we would have Julio Jones, who might be as boom or bust as Newton, or a 3-4 DE, which isn't THAT important a position to take that high.

I would have no problem taking Newton just because of what he MIGHT be. He could be outstanding. He has all the tools its just a coin flip of how he applies himself. I would be interested in his wonderlic score because I remember that Vince Young's was really bad, and it might give an indication of his ability to learn a pro style offense.

The only caveat to that is if they think they can transition Kerrigan from Purdue into a 3-4 OLB, because its very important that we complement Orakpo in the near future.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010