Kiper's Updated Mock - Skins draft Gabbert

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Canes Skin

Kiper's Updated Mock - Skins draft Gabbert

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 am

Redskins - * Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
Gabbert might be more ready than Newton to read defenses at the NFL level, and as a quarterback with very good accuracy, instincts and size, he could come into a franchise in Washington that might need him early. Gabbert is a guy whose stock rose a lot this year and will be under the microscope during the workout process. But what he doesn't give you is a quarterback who elicits a wide range of opinions or the boom-or-bust concerns many have with Newton and Ryan Mallett.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft2.0
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:32 am

The only problem is that there are a lot of folks out there, myself included that think that Carolina might be taking Newton (based off Carolina's HC comments the other day).

If Newton goes #1 or any QB for that matter, most have speculated that AZ will draft another QB at #5 (or whatever pick they have).

I just don't see a QB being available at #10 if the Panther's take a QB at #1. I'm not sure who makes sense to take at #10 unless it's a WR like Green if available.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 am

Why do I get the feeling Gabbert is a chubby Jeff George?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm

frankcal20 wrote:The only problem is that there are a lot of folks out there, myself included that think that Carolina might be taking Newton (based off Carolina's HC comments the other day).

If Newton goes #1 or any QB for that matter, most have speculated that AZ will draft another QB at #5 (or whatever pick they have).

I just don't see a QB being available at #10 if the Panther's take a QB at #1. I'm not sure who makes sense to take at #10 unless it's a WR like Green if available.

I don't think that Carolina takes Newton #1, but I think you're right about neither Gabbert nor Newton being available at #10. I think that both Buffalo and Arizona take qb's. I wish that AJ Green somehow fell to us, but I don't see how that could happen unless he really bombs at the Combine.
Suck and Luck

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 am

no wr in the first round! You can find DOMINANT ones outside the first. we need to bauil up our front seven on D and our Oline with our first pick. Those guys are a lot harder to find....with the spread all over college there are an influx of wr's who can make impacts right away for NFL teams
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:02 am

If you want my honest opinion, I think if we can and that's a big IF, we should trade out of the #10 unless there is a player there who the coaches are just in love with that they have ranked as a top 15 player who's ready to go right now. If not, get out of there.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:48 am

I'd love to see us trade down in the first, but I don't see us finding a trading partner... nor do I see us taking a quarterback. I suspect, then, that we'll be taking the highest ranked player on the Redskins draft board at 10.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:07 pm

I agree for now Counter. Thankfully, there's going to be a rookie wage scale. I've spoken with NFL Players about it that are Vets. They want it and so do owners. So this will increase the value of early round picks. The #10 get's a lot more attractive knowing that you won't have to sacrifice a lot of money on a contract. Not sure how that will affect the trade compensation though.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 pm

gay4pacman wrote:no wr in the first round! You can find DOMINANT ones outside the first. we need to bauil up our front seven on D and our Oline with our first pick. Those guys are a lot harder to find....with the spread all over college there are an influx of wr's who can make impacts right away for NFL teams

First of all, the idea that you can find dominant wide receivers outside of the first round is vastly overblown. Look at the top receivers in the NFL and most of those guys are first rounders.

Second of all, and this is not something that has been talked about a lot yet, by the time the draft rolls around Anthony Armstrong will be our best wr under contract. Moss' contract expired last week and while the team may be interested in re-signing him, that situation wont be resolved until after a new CBA is in place and that certainly wont be before the draft. So given what we have under contract at the time of the draft, wr is likely going to be something that the team strongly looks at.
Suck and Luck

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:18 pm

While I agree that inflating the chances of finding a WR diamond outside of the 1st round does not contribute to the discussion, nor does disregarding the fact that for every Randy Moss or Charles Johnson there are a dozen Michael Westbrooks drafted in the first round. I think that, in his own way, g4p is pointing out that the risks associated with a first round wideout make it a low payoff proposition... there just aren't that many CJ's to be had.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Countertrey wrote: nor does disregarding the fact that for every Randy Moss or Charles Johnson there are a dozen Michael Westbrooks drafted in the first round.

That's true for any position though. I just think that the idea that first round receivers are big risk is vastly overblown. Every single position has it's share of busts.
Suck and Luck

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:04 am

I don't know about Gabbert if someone else really wanted him i wouldnt hesitate to trade back, get kerrigan, and have a few second round picks.

J.J. Watt is pretty impressive, would be a nice complement to carriker, maybe leave us a nose away from a d-line.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:42 am

I say pass on Gabbert and any of the QB's in the first round.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 am

Red_One43 wrote:I say pass on Gabbert and any of the QB's in the first round.
So do I.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Red_One43 wrote:I say pass on Gabbert and any of the QB's in the first round.

I disagree. If Gabbert is there you take him.
Suck and Luck

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010