If the 'Skins Magically had the #1 Pick ...

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
DarthMonk

If the 'Skins Magically had the #1 Pick ...

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 pm

... and (insert username) were in charge and I could not work a trade, I would pick ________________________________________________.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Patrick Peterson
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:01 am

Marcell Dareus

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 am

CanesSkins26
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 am

Probably Gabbert seeing that fills a huge need for us at QB.

Dareus and Fairly would be nice options as a 3-4 DE, but rarely is a 3-4 DE in that high of demand. They are great 4-3 DTs, but we dont have the 4-3 anymore so I scratch them off.

Peterson would be great, but we already have alot of money commited to the secondary, especially after we extend LaRon, so I scratch him off.

Gabbert is probably the only one left IMO, but I would rather take the #1 pick next year and pick up Luck!
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

Postby Rich Milot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:47 pm

I think we'll take the best QB available.
I don't think we can afford to wait any longer.

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:16 pm

gabbert but he is certainly not a clear cut choice...
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 am

Trade down for someone's 1st and numerous other picks.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Bowers?

Maybe some questions but best fits needs.

I guess Peterson would work too.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 am

GoSkins wrote:Trade down for someone's 1st and numerous other picks.

This is what I would want to do but the condition of the question was that we could not work a trade. Heck, I want to trade out of #10 if I can.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:03 am

Agreed Darht, Im hoping we can trade out of #10 and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. I think we might have a partner with the Rams, word is they LOVE Julio Jones.... Maybe they move up to 10 and grab him, we get 14 and their 3rd. That works perfectly according to the points table. Who could we target with the 14th pick?
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 pm

skins2357 wrote:Agreed Darht, Im hoping we can trade out of #10 and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. I think we might have a partner with the Rams, word is they LOVE Julio Jones.... Maybe they move up to 10 and grab him, we get 14 and their 3rd. That works perfectly according to the points table. Who could we target with the 14th pick?

This is the subject of my "Trading Down" thread in this forum. How about this DE at #14?

Aldon Smith - he seems to last until #14 in most mocks:

Pass rush: Great length and upper-body development with room to grow and become a top-notch pass rusher. When given the green light to attack the passer, he is able to turn the corner or quickly go outside-in to get a more direct path to the QB. Uses strength to get movement in his bull rush; able to release with his hands to harass a scrambling passer. Moves inside to a three-technique spot on some plays to take advantage of his quickness, as well as his height, to disrupt passing lanes (seven pass breakups in 2009-2010). Jumps over and uses his hands to beat cut blocks.

Run defense: Potentially strong edge run defender as 4-3 end or 3-4 linebacker. Stays balanced out of his stance, extends his arms to keep distance, able to shed to get to the ball on either side of the block. Good backfield awareness. Willing to lower his shoulder and stand his ground against pulling guards and moving tight ends. Gets down the line while engaged to be involved on inside runs. Beats reach blocks to get into the backfield.

Explosion: Still more potential than practice as a pure outside pass rusher, but shows glimpses of explosive ability on the edge. Pops his man with big swipes to get past blockers. Brings a punch in his bull rush, sometimes knocking back even strong college tackles.

Strength: Plays stronger than his height/weight numbers indicate. Does not give up room when holding the line. Violent with his hands, able to push aside blockers when rushing the passer or shedding to chase ballcarriers. Still requires time in pro strength and conditioning to gain 15-20 pounds before becoming a three-down player as a 4-3 defensive end.

Tackling: Uses his long, strong arms to wrap up quarterbacks and ballcarriers in the backfield; can chop down hard to force fumbles. Speedy chase tackler who closes well for his size due to that length, hustle, and straight-line speed. Misses tackles when leaving his feet early or short-arming (ducking his head and not fully extending.)

Intangibles: Right fibula fractured against San Diego State in October 2010; fracture was high enough above ankle and below the knee so it could heal on its own without surgery. Returned just three weeks later and played hurt for the rest of the season. Only a redshirt sophomore, which is a positive given his upside, but some might view as negative given his relative lack of experience.

... or these OTs?

Tyron Smith:

Pass blocking: His best trait. Flashes very good initial quickness and gains good depth with his initial kick-slide. Plays on the balls of his feet with good forward and lateral balance. Shuffles his feet laterally to mirror the defender. Has the long arms and strong hands to lock onto the defender. Loses focus and relies too much on his agility to remain in front of the pass rusher. Becomes susceptible to swim moves when he doesn't use his hands aggressively. Has the agility to handle converting to the left side.

Run blocking: Good positional blocker. Quick off the snap and can catch and turn his opponent away from the play. Does a nice job of walling off his target, but needs to get stronger and keep his feet churning to drive his opponent out. Too often gets stood up by defenders, creating a pile that the ballcarrier must run around, rather than clearing a hole for the play to run through. Isn't afraid of contact and can drive the defender off the ball in short-yardage situations with his initial push, but isn't yet strong enough to finish blocks consistently.

Pulling/trapping: Good mobility to pull and lead the toss-sweep. Good balance and straight-line speed getting to the second level. Struggles to hit the brakes and re-direct and allows his arms to flail at the defender, which could draw holding calls at the next level.

Initial Quickness: Inconsistent with his initial get-off. Capable of being the first off the snap, as he often is when he anticipates a blitz to his side or has to get out in front of a sweep play, but can also be among the last off the snap.

Downfield: Good athleticism and effort to make downfield blocks. Looks for someone to hit and will peel back if necessary to pop a defender giving chase. Good overall athleticism, but struggles changing direction and therefore must do a better job anticipating where the defender is going to be, rather than allowing him to rush past.

Intangibles: Only three years removed from high school. Occasionally moved to left tackle during games, but all 24 of his career starts were at right tackle. Missed the Boston College game in 2009 due to an academic suspension. Missed the 2010 Notre Dame game with a sprained knee. Played on special teams, blocking two kicks in 2010 (Washington State, Arizona State). Not yet a finished product. Turned 20 on Dec. 12.

Nate Solder:

Pass blocking: Solder's length and athleticism makes him a prototypical pass protector on the blind side. Very difficult to get around when he bends his knees and is smooth in his lateral movement. Resets his hands quickly after initial contact, manages to anchor after a strong initial bull rush. Agile and long enough to combo block down and still push blitzing linebackers around the pocket. Also handles twists and stunts well. Cuts quickly to allow bubble screens to his side. Plays with a narrow base at times, which causes him to lose balance or cross his feet when engaged on outside rushes. Takes short, choppy steps after kick slide, has trouble cutting off quick ends from turning the corner and resorts to diving at their legs. Also gives up the inside lane too frequently. NFL-caliber ends can get under his pads and drive him back on occasion because of his height and inconsistent knee-bend.

Run blocking: Very willing and able run blocker on the edge with exceptional mobility for his size. Good get-off and upper-body strength allows him to latch onto defensive ends and stand-up defenders and take them out of the play. Despite his height, he plays with leverage at the point of attack and can widen his base to anchor. Nimble and quick, he seals his edge easily, gets out in front of screens well, and can block multiple defenders to wall off the back side. Quicker defenders can get under his pads, however, and disengage to move down the line and stop inside runs.

Pulling/trapping: Does not work behind the line very often from the left tackle spot, but his combination of size and mobility should allow him to do so at the next level. Effective getting around the tight end to take out targets on the outside. Can drop his hips to negate defenders at the second level. Has flexibility to get his hands on the inside defender, though his height can make it difficult to stay with smaller, quicker defenders when he doesn't first lock on.

Initial Quickness: Gets off the snap fairly well for his size, but is inconsistent with his kick-slide and hand quickness, which could cause problems for him against better NFL ends. Able to deliver a pop as a drive blocker, stopping defensive ends in their tracks or even pushing his man off the line of scrimmage.

Downfield: Exceptional feet and agility make him a threat to take out defenders in space. Very quick getting to the second and third levels. Locates targets well downfield, keeps his feet moving to gain the correct angle and hands strong and active to latch onto linebackers and move them out of the play. Will throw a shoulder into a defender at times instead of sustaining the block.

Intangibles: Owns the work ethic to become a Pro Bowl offensive tackle. In the spring of 2009, he was awarded the John Wooten Award for outstanding work ethic and the offensive line's Iron Buffalo Award for hard work, dedication, toughness and total poundage lifted in the weight room. Needs to become more of a vocal leader on the field, though he does play with attitude and competitiveness and is not afraid to go through the whistle and talk to defenders on the field. Very good student, had a 3.93 GPA in high school and was one of 16 National Football Foundation Scholar-Athletes in 2010. Brother, John, played linebacker at Stanford.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby broomboy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Is smith a hybrid player? That post you had in run support named him as a 3-4 LB.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 pm

broomboy wrote:Is smith a hybrid player? That post you had in run support named him as a 3-4 LB.

Yes.

Pass rush: Great length and upper-body development with room to grow and become a top-notch pass rusher. When given the green light to attack the passer, he is able to turn the corner or quickly go outside-in to get a more direct path to the QB. Uses strength to get movement in his bull rush; able to release with his hands to harass a scrambling passer. Moves inside to a three-technique spot on some plays to take advantage of his quickness, as well as his height, to disrupt passing lanes (seven pass breakups in 2009-2010). Jumps over and uses his hands to beat cut blocks.

Run defense: Potentially strong edge run defender as 4-3 end or 3-4 linebacker.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Most of the names listed in this thread would never be taken #1 overall by any team. Maybe Dareus, maybe Peterson, maybe Miller. Fairley doesn't fit a 3-4. No chance I waste a #1 pick on any of the quarterbacks in this draft. Think Kaepernick, Ponder, and Dalton will be better than Newton, Gabbert and Locker. All can be had in later rounds.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010