Julio Jones - Draft or Trade Poll

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

If Julio Jones is availabe at #10 would you draft him or trade the pick

Draft the Receiver
4
29%
Trade pick to Rams
10
71%
 
Total votes : 14
^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Julio Jones - Draft or Trade Poll

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 am

Julio Jones is a stud. Julio Jones is also projected to be available in a lot of the mock drafts out there. My question to you all is that if Julio is available at #10, would you rather draft him at #10 or trade down with a team that is in dire need for a WR, the St. Luis Rams.

Rams get: #10 pick
Skins get: #14 pick & #78 (3rd Rd)

In case you're wondering, the trade is considered perfectly even at 1300 pts each.

My opinion is that we trade out of the #10 spot, pick up the 3rd round pick. Jones is a very good WR, I'll give him that but given that the Redskins have so many holes to fill, adding a 3rd round RT for instance gives us another opportunity to get a possible starter week 1.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 am

I don't trade that pick. If you look at most of the projections/analyses of this draft, the general consensus is that there are about 9-10 elite prospects in this draft. While 10 to 14 might not seem like a big drop, the difference in the caliber of player that were are able to get if we stay put versus trading down could be significant. I'd also be more inclined to do this draft if I had confidence that our front office could do something meaningful with that 3rd round pick that we would get from the Rams. However, under Allen the bucs absolutely sucked in the draft and Shanny had his fare share of drafting issues as well with the Broncos.
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 am

I've read somewhere that Allen didn't have anything to do with the draft outside of negotiations. As for players, he didn't have input. Can't remember where I heard it though.

But I see your point - it makes sense but I also understand the risk of taking a "can't miss" WR wo history has shown only works out about 50% of the time.

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:42 am

Julio Jones makes about as much sense as drafting a punter at #10. Jones will be an impact player for a team with a quarterback. That doesn't mean the Redskins should trade the pick if Robert Quinn is there. The Redskins need impact players.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:08 pm

TCIYM wrote:Julio Jones makes about as much sense as drafting a punter at #10. Jones will be an impact player for a team with a quarterback. That doesn't mean the Redskins should trade the pick if Robert Quinn is there. The Redskins need impact players.


Robert Quinn is obscenely overrated. On their face, his college stats look awesome. 52 total tackles and (35 solo) and 11 sacks in 2009, his most productive and last college season. However, in reality they show that he feasted on the bottom feeders of the ACC and did completely dissapeared against the good teams that UNC faced.

All 11 of his sacks came against the Citadel, UVA, Duke, Georgia Southern, BC, and ECU.

Against Ga Tech, FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech he had ZERO sacks and 13 total tackles. 10 of those tackles came against Ga Tech and its triple option. So against FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech he managed ZERO sacks and 3 total tackles (1 solo).

Add in the fact that he didn't play in 2010 and that there wont be a full offseason of OTAs, minicamps, etc., and Robert Quinn would be a HORRIBLE pick for this team.
Suck and Luck

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:35 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Julio Jones makes about as much sense as drafting a punter at #10. Jones will be an impact player for a team with a quarterback. That doesn't mean the Redskins should trade the pick if Robert Quinn is there. The Redskins need impact players.


Robert Quinn is obscenely overrated. On their face, his college stats look awesome. 52 total tackles and (35 solo) and 11 sacks in 2009, his most productive and last college season. However, in reality they show that he feasted on the bottom feeders of the ACC and did completely dissapeared against the good teams that UNC faced.

All 11 of his sacks came against the Citadel, UVA, Duke, Georgia Southern, BC, and ECU.

Against Ga Tech, FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech he had ZERO sacks and 13 total tackles. 10 of those tackles came against Ga Tech and its triple option. So against FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech he managed ZERO sacks and 3 total tackles (1 solo).

Add in the fact that he didn't play in 2010 and that there wont be a full offseason of OTAs, minicamps, etc., and Robert Quinn would be a HORRIBLE pick for this team.


Quinn would have Brian Orakpo on the other side. Jones would have Rex Grossman breaking him in. Or John Beck. You're telling me that's worse? I'm not buying it.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Jones would have Rex Grossman breaking him in. Or John Beck.


Assuming that's true, so what? You wouldn't be drafting Jones for one year only. Should we trade Cooley just because we have a problem at qb right now? The point isn't just to build a team for 2011, and Jones has a higher upside than Quinn and probably any other player would be available at #10 (or #14).
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:I don't trade that pick. If you look at most of the projections/analyses of this draft, the general consensus is that there are about 9-10 elite prospects in this draft. While 10 to 14 might not seem like a big drop, the difference in the caliber of player that were are able to get if we stay put versus trading down could be significant. I'd also be more inclined to do this draft if I had confidence that our front office could do something meaningful with that 3rd round pick that we would get from the Rams. However, under Allen the bucs absolutely sucked in the draft and Shanny had his fare share of drafting issues as well with the Broncos.


OK, what do you mean "drafting issues" for Shanny?

Here is a head to head comarison of Shanny (Broncos), Belichek, Steelers Organization and the Redskins Organization from 1999-2008 for Shanny and 2000-08 for the others. Shanny's overall success rate was a 37% to Belichek's - 29% - Steelers - 39% - Redskins - 29 %.
Note Shanny tended to have more success from the 3rd to 7th rounds.
His success in the first round is scary being on par with the Redskins, but his second round is on par with others but easily distancing Belichek.
So against the two of the top teams of the past ten years, Shanny is better than Belichek and on par with the Steelers. What issues?

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread. ... nd-Colbert)-(and-the-Snyder-Redskins)

Of course that is one guy's data, but the key is that he used the same criteria for each team or coach. Here is another guy doing the draft success rate period. I include his just for a comparison of Shanny's first round 61% to the overall league rate this guy found - 50%. (The criteria of the two research projects is different - my point here is just to give some prospective on Shanny's 61%)

Per our previous article, first round success rate over the last ten years was an exact 50/50 split, with a 50% success rate.


http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/articl ... _Value.jsp

Canes Skin
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Jones would have Rex Grossman breaking him in. Or John Beck.


Assuming that's true, so what? You wouldn't be drafting Jones for one year only. Should we trade Cooley just because we have a problem at qb right now? The point isn't just to build a team for 2011, and Jones has a higher upside than Quinn and probably any other player would be available at #10 (or #14).
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm

TCIYM wrote:Julio Jones makes about as much sense as drafting a punter at #10. Jones will be an impact player for a team with a quarterback.


Wow! That is a very poor exaggerated comparison - Punter vs. a big 6-4 receiver who can run block, run a 4.3 40 with a broken foot. He can run reverses fo you as well as a big red zone target. As far as not having a QB to throw to him. I saw Grossman hit Anthony Armstrong in stride with a bomb, I never saw McNabb, a stronger armed QB, do that last season. Also, when you throw in that drafting the big receiver that you longed for for years is just one piece of the puzzle to build on, there is plenty of logic in picking a talent like Jones at 10. Plus, it normally takes 2-3 years for a
wideout to adjust to the NFL. There is no logic for punter at 10. There is logic for Jones at 10. BTW, receiver is a need as well.

Saying pass over Jones at #10 is one thing, but to say makes as much sense as drafting a punter at 10 that is too big of an exaggeration.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm

TCIYM wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Julio Jones makes about as much sense as drafting a punter at #10. Jones will be an impact player for a team with a quarterback. That doesn't mean the Redskins should trade the pick if Robert Quinn is there. The Redskins need impact players.


Robert Quinn is obscenely overrated. On their face, his college stats look awesome. 52 total tackles and (35 solo) and 11 sacks in 2009, his most productive and last college season. However, in reality they show that he feasted on the bottom feeders of the ACC and did completely dissapeared against the good teams that UNC faced.

All 11 of his sacks came against the Citadel, UVA, Duke, Georgia Southern, BC, and ECU.

Against Ga Tech, FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech he had ZERO sacks and 13 total tackles. 10 of those tackles came against Ga Tech and its triple option. So against FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech he managed ZERO sacks and 3 total tackles (1 solo).

Add in the fact that he didn't play in 2010 and that there wont be a full offseason of OTAs, minicamps, etc., and Robert Quinn would be a HORRIBLE pick for this team.


Quinn would have Brian Orakpo on the other side. Jones would have Rex Grossman breaking him in. Or John Beck. You're telling me that's worse? I'm not buying it.


Quinn at stand up OLB is a project. Is there evidence that Quinn can even drop back and cover? I am sure that the combine had him do it, but did he do it in college?

One Step Away
Posts: 7652
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:31 am
Location: NoVA

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Jones would have Rex Grossman breaking him in. Or John Beck.


Assuming that's true, so what? You wouldn't be drafting Jones for one year only. Should we trade Cooley just because we have a problem at qb right now? The point isn't just to build a team for 2011, and Jones has a higher upside than Quinn and probably any other player would be available at #10 (or #14).


Ask Stafford if he's glad Detriot drafted Calvin Johnson before he got there.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:35 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Jones would have Rex Grossman breaking him in. Or John Beck.


Assuming that's true, so what? You wouldn't be drafting Jones for one year only. Should we trade Cooley just because we have a problem at qb right now? The point isn't just to build a team for 2011, and Jones has a higher upside than Quinn and probably any other player would be available at #10 (or #14).


With Quinn being a project at OLB, I have to agree with Canes that Jones has a stronger "can't miss" possibility than Quinn. As a DE in a 4-3, Quinn is porbably a sure bet, but there is an unknown at OLB. Is Quinn worth the 10, yes, but you have Rob Jackson and Chris Wilson developinp on your roster. Assuming Santana re-signs (and if he does he will most likey be the slot), we only have one other receiver on the roster that made an impact.

As far as Grossman, check Grossman vs. McNabb last year. Grossman his Santana in the hands in stride during the fourth quarter (Moss dropped it). He hit Armsrong in stride for the TD against NYG. This stuff about questioning Jones developing under Grossman is nonsense. See my earlier post. You can bet that Shanny has a plan to shore up this O line which will help any QB we have play better than last year.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I voted to trade #10, because I want to trade the pick, but not for #14 and the rams 3rd rounder. I would get a little creative here. Ask for their 4th rounder in additon to the third rounder and offer one of our lowest 5th. The goal is get a at least a 3rd and 4th rounder. We already have a creative deal relationship with the Rams. The Carriker trade and Hall Davis for Dennis Morris rookie swap and cut trade. I
If I can't get multiple picks, I am drafting Jones at 10 if he is there.

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
Jones would have Rex Grossman breaking him in. Or John Beck.


Assuming that's true, so what? You wouldn't be drafting Jones for one year only. Should we trade Cooley just because we have a problem at qb right now? The point isn't just to build a team for 2011, and Jones has a higher upside than Quinn and probably any other player would be available at #10 (or #14).


With Quinn being a project at OLB, I have to agree with Canes that Jones has a stronger "can't miss" possibility than Quinn. As a DE in a 4-3, Quinn is porbably a sure bet, but there is an unknown at OLB. Is Quinn worth the 10, yes, but you have Rob Jackson and Chris Wilson developinp on your roster. Assuming Santana re-signs (and if he does he will most likey be the slot), we only have one other receiver on the roster that made an impact.

As far as Grossman, check Grossman vs. McNabb last year. Grossman his Santana in the hands in stride during the fourth quarter (Moss dropped it). He hit Armsrong in stride for the TD against NYG. This stuff about questioning Jones developing under Grossman is nonsense. See my earlier post. You can bet that Shanny has a plan to shore up this O line which will help any QB we have play better than last year.


Quinn's not a project. Had he played last year he would be a top five pick this season. Mayock has him in the mix for #1 overall pick two months ago. Mayock and McShay has him to Cleveland at #7 McShay and Kiper has him to Houston Kiper and Bunting has him to Washington Bunting so most have him as a top ten prospect, even with the year off.

I don't mind the argument but let's not undersell Quinn because some favor Jones.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010