RFA Compensation

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Site Admin

RFA Compensation

Postby BossHog » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:26 pm

How is a team compensated for a restricted free agent?

Actually, how it breaks down is quite complicated...

The collective bargaining agreement says that a restricted free agent can negotiate with ANY team at the completion of his contract, If the original team (i'm going to just insert Redskins from here on out) offers the player more than certain amounts... they can obtain 'rights' and the CBA calls 'these restrictions'.

1) To otain right of first refusal: if a player has 3 or more accrued seasons... the Redskins would have to offer $275,000k... if the player had more than 3 and less than 4 accrued seasons... they have to offer $325,000. Obtaining first right of refusal means that the Redskins would get a chance to match any offer made to the player in question, and if they do, that offer must immediately be accepted.

2) The Redskins can obtain first right of refusal AND Draft Selection at the 'Player’s Original Draft Round' (from the team with which he signs) if they were to offer him $605k or 110% of what his previous year's salary was (whichever is greater)

3) The Redskins can obtain first right of refusal AND a first round draft pick if they were to offer him $1.318M or 110% of what his previous year's salary was (whichever is greater)

3) The Redskins can obtain first right of refusal AND a first round draft pick and third round draft pick if they were to offer the player $1.758M or 110% of what his previous year's salary was (whichever is greater)

I can't say with any certainty if there is anything more to these restrictions than what's listed in the collective bargaining agreement on the nflpa's website, but that's all that the CBA says.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Re: RFA Compensation

Postby fredp45 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:17 pm

I know this is NOT the correct place to do this but wasn't sure where to go -- how is BossHog doing? I know he had some medical issues awhile back but haven't heard from him, or anyone about how he's doing?

Return to Football 101