WHere can I find defensive stats?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

WHere can I find defensive stats?

Postby skins81 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:20 pm

Does anyone know of a site that keeps track of how many plays a player is on the field?
If a defense is on the field for 60 plays, how many plays do the individuals participate in? Same goes for the offense. Coaches rotate players in and out, but is the information available? Any help would be appreciated.
"I DN'T ENVISION MYSELF LEAVING, BUT I CN'T STAY WHERE I'M NT WANTED AFTER ALL THESE REPORTS R COMIN OUT DAILY!" - TO

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:35 pm

I looked in the NFL Gamebooks and they don't track it. I have a printed copy of the NFL's official stats from the HOF game this year that they give to the media following the game and it doesn't track it on there either.

And with a stat as specific as that, if the NFL isn't officially tracking it... then it's probably going to be hard to find.

I'll let you know if I can find anything. Were there any specific players you were looking for if i find it at a site that I have access to but you won't be able to access?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby skins81 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:00 am

Thanks BH. This site is fantastic. I check it more than once a day, although I don't post much.

Specifically it had to do with this years playoffs and super bowl. I thought if TO played, he would probably play maybe 15 downs or so. Based on the injury and healing time, I just didn't see him as a factor. Obviously, I was way off base. So I was curoius as to how many downs he actually played.

And for the same team, I'm curious as to how Jerome McDougal fits in anymore. I think the team has soured on him, and I wanted to see how many downs he played in the respective playoff games this year.

I like to keep track of the enemy's movements.
"I DN'T ENVISION MYSELF LEAVING, BUT I CN'T STAY WHERE I'M NT WANTED AFTER ALL THESE REPORTS R COMIN OUT DAILY!" - TO

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:20 am

A smart guy keeps his friends close, and his enemies closer. Keep an eye on that TO for us, alright ?
Not for nothing...I think it's pretty impressive that a site admin would take the time to do that for any of his 1780-some odd posters, much less a newbie.
Not suckin' butt...I'm just saying. This place is unbelievable.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Hog

Postby skins81 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:45 pm

Agreed. All bs aside, I appreciate BH and the effort he puts in. As well as the other mods. Except BTP, just kidding.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:18 pm

You probably won't find the detailed stats you want. The closest I've found is at:

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams ... s?OpenPage

Want the full-year stats for the 1921 Canton Bulldogs? They've got it.

Their defensive stats are sparse, though, and they do not dig down to number of plays.

Today's teams probably keep those sort of numbers -- if pitching coaches record pitches thrown, strikes, balls high, balls low, types of pitch, etc, then modern NFL teams probably record who was on the field for every play.

But I've never seen it published anywhere...and you are one of the few people who has ever been interested, although it is a very good point!

Hog

Postby skins81 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:10 am

Thanks, Welch

Came across a wierd stat exploring the site you linked.

1982 Mark Moseley's FG% (95.2%) was actually higher than his PAT% (84%) for the year.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:16 am

Well I've looked and looked and looked and I can't seem to find the stat anywhere... and when i say I looked, I really mean it.

I have access to pretty much all the stats that the league keeps track of and I just couldn't find any one/where tracking defensive plays per game.

I haven't given up, but I just wanted to keep you posted.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby skins81 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:57 pm

That's too bad, but thanks again. You're going above and beyond, Boss. :rock:

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:56 pm

Came across a wierd stat exploring the site you linked.

1982 Mark Moseley's FG% (95.2%) was actually higher than his PAT% (84%) for the year.

That's an odd one. Being too lazy to look at the '82 stats (too lazy to look before I leap):

- we know that was the season Mosely broke the NFL record for consecutive FG's. A game-winner against the Giants, on the last play, in the sleet and mud.

- that was a short season -- a strike season, when they only played about 10 games.

- Joe Washington got hurt part-way through, so the offense was reduced to Riggins running behind the Hogs, or Monk catching long passes. (Just emphasized that because every year DR Z and other HOF voters claim that Monk was only an "eight-yard gain possession receiver".). And Mosely kicking FG's.

- Maybe the Redskins scored fewer TD's than normal, so one or two missed PAT's hurt Mosely's percentage?

Anyway, an interesting statistic.

Hog

Postby skins81 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:41 pm

Your right. There were only 9 games played in the strike shortened season that year. Only 19 attempted extra points. But of all the kickers that year, every one of them had higher pat% than FG%. Just kind of a random stat.

And that kick in the snow was clutch.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:45 pm

Just kind of a random stat.

The kind you get with a small sample.

I was at a birthday party for my wife's best friend's mother. In New York. Annoyed my wife by slipping off every few minutes to watch a bit of the game. Somehow, that last drive felt inevitable.

Return to Football 101