A.T.E - 46 Defense

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Site Admin

A.T.E - 46 Defense

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:29 am

The 46 defense was invented (implemented) by the defensive guru Buddy Ryan I believe, but was obviously made famous by the 80's Bears' team. There are a lot of stunts and blitzes and the alignment is designed to put pressure on EVERY player in the offense. It also requires a lot of 'skilled' defensive players.

I will break it down a little further later, but the gist of the 46 defense, is the 46 principle...

At least 6 guys pressure the quarterback at all times.

In this defense, the DEs are almost always attacking the ball, but it becomes even more important for the big DTs to soak up blocks, free up the MLB, and try and take out the 3 inside OL. It is IMPERATIVE that LBs stay disciplined and NOT attack the ball in this system or it just won't work.

Both Gregg Williams and Rex Ryan (Buddy's son) have books available on the 46 defense. I'll include links with a slightly better explanation later.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:35 am

Defensive responsibilities in the 46:

DE's - Attack the ball at all times and maintain lanes

DT's - Sacrifice themselves to occupying as many blockers as possible (mainly interior lanes)

MLB - Read the flow of the ball and making all tackles from tackle to tackle. The MLB is the leader of the defense (unless designated as the dropping zone LB)

OLB's - Maintain the outside and contain is the first priority. The second priority is as a cleanup crew, tackling the ball carrier outside of the OT's (unless designated as the dropping zone LB)

CB's - Maintain the outside zones designated to each individual (after the 5-20 zone)

SS - Locked in man-to-man coverage on the TE at all times, (unless blitzed)

FS - Maintain the zone that is designated to him on each play

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:06 pm

I still think there's a bit of misunderstanding about just how they came up with "46" as the name of this defense.

Unlike the "34", which is a direct reference to a 3-linemen, 4-linebacker alignment, "46" is in no way related to alignment.

It's the number worn by safety Doug Plank, who came in as an extra pass rusher when that defense was used. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

The "34" wasn't originally called a "34" or "three-four" either. It was the "53".

Miami, in its undefeated season, was the first to really make use of a fourth linebacker. That fourth linebacker was Bob Mathieson, who -- you guessed it -- wore number 53.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:56 pm

nice history lesson rsfreak :up:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:07 pm

How would our current players work in the 46 defense?
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:38 pm

the LB's would have to play with more discipline. we would need to retain champ or find a viable replacement. and find a DE that could freelance a little. plus a DT or 2.
Last edited by hailskins666 on Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:40 pm

Don't look now but redskincity said:

I think we definitely have the LBs to make this defense work! The problem as I see it is our front 4. I'm not sure we have the quality up there right now that can do the job necessary to adequately run the 4-6.

Just my My 2 cents
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:51 pm

Justice Hog wrote:Don't look now but redskincity said:

I think we definitely have the LBs to make this defense work! The problem as I see it is our front 4. I'm not sure we have the quality up there right now that can do the job necessary to adequately run the 4-6.

You don't need six linebackers to run it. Four will do. Or three and big/fast/hard-hitting safety.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:23 pm

I don't think JH was saying that you needed 6 LBs, I think he was saying that we will have to improve our front four in order to run the 46 defense successfully. And I don't think that there's any disputing that. If Noble can return from his knee injury, he'll fit in nicely as a big run stuffer in the 46, but we still need another.

We also need a stud pass rusher to make the defense work well... LIKE Mr. Kearse.

Our LBs will definitely have to play much more disciplined football than last year though for the ddefense to have any hope of working -- regardless of secondary or d-line.

Sean Taylor could also be a very valuable asset in the defense.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:28 pm

Thanks for gettin' my back, Boss. You're right in your analysis of my previous post.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:43 am

The 4-6 defense simply comes from the idea that there are 4 down linemen, and 6 going into the backfield at all times. I always thought of the 46 as being a more man to man dependant defense rather than zone as you stated above Boss, but I know there are zone variations to the theme, so we are probably both right.

What is cool about a defense like this is that with a powerful enough line (which we don't have at the moment) demanding 2 or 3 doubles, delayed blitzes from 2 LB or 1 S and 1 LB or even a safety and CB while the LBs drop to cover for a short period makes this defense as shifty as the Patsies defense - that 3-4 that blitzes from every friggin direction. The point is that even when the LBs drop into cover you don't give the QB the time to even think because you blitz with a couple of guys even faster than the LBs.

I know Trotter, Armstead and Arrington all have good speed for LBs and especially considering Armstead's age - think about his 2 sacks where he wasn't in the backfield one second then BOOM he was on the QB the next. That is the kind of blitzing this defense uses.

If you have a couple of beefy 350 pound DTs in the middle, it really creates havoc because with that weight and their strength, at least one will require doubles. With a good pass rusher on one or both ends, that will also require a double or two (with a TE or RB). This leaves lanes open for defenders to hit the QB faster than they can blink - usually this is when you see the QB scanning and then almost jump out of their socks when they see the blitzer almost on top of them.

This scheme also calls for aggressive play against the run, usually with a much closer in run support by the LBs - they only play a yard or so off the ball in most instances, and they are available to immediately shoot gaps and disrupt a run play in the backfield by suddenly appearing in the RBs face - remember Buddy's Bears and how many times they broke up run plays in the backfield? Suddenly a LB just poofed into the back's face? What is even worse is when the back reverses field trying to gain yardage and runs into another LB or DT coming through a gap.

This could be a much more interesting year for a defensive watcher like myself :)
Rich in Roanoke

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:25 pm

Here's da proof -- "46" does not have any connection to # of linemen, linebackers, rushers, etc.

http://www.azrattlers.com/azr/anmviewer.asp?a=27&z=3

------------

Plank brings with him a wealth of football experience that includes an impressive career in the NFL, when he entered the professional football ranks when he was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 12th round of the 1975 NFL Entry Draft. He started at safety for eight seasons, all for the Bears. The “46 Defense” created by Buddy Ryan was named for Plank’s jersey number and aggressive style of play. Plank was also the first Bears Rookie to ever lead the team in tackles.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:30 am

hmmm - cool... I had always been told and had read that it was based on the 4 down linemen and 6 pass rushers...

Ah well... as we said in the disclaimer - we ain't experts -just guys who love the game trying to do their best :)
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:43 pm

• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:27 pm

nice work - I like the scheme - aggressive as hell and makes people pay for running into the teeth of it :)
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Football 101