NFL Championship Trophy, pre-1967

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
----------

NFL Championship Trophy, pre-1967

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:25 pm

Skinsfan55 complaining about the Redskins showing off their Lombardi trophies got me thinking - does anyone know anything about the trophies the NFL (or for that matter, the AFL or AAFC) handed out to their champions before 1967? Perhaps it is an ancestor of the current NFC trophy that is handed out now?

To think that NFL history began in 1966 is pretty ridiculous, but as a result of the NFL-AFL merger, all the champions from 1920-1966 got the shaft in terms of modern recognition.

Do the Redskins have trophies for the 1937 and 1942 championship teams? If they do, shoudn't those be as prominently displayed as our Lombardi trophies?

I was just curious. If anyone knows anything about this I would love to hear about it.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:49 pm

You make it sound like I was having a cow about it, it just seemed a little ostentatious.

Anyway, I looked around (since I am at work, and bored) and this is all I could find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_champions

It's sounding a little like the league title was a name only... :(
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:43 pm

Believe it or not, this was bothering me so much that I e-mailed Redskins.com about it. This is their response:

We have the 1937 trophy. The 1942 trophy is at the NFL Hall of Fame. We choose to display the Lombardi trophies because they are not as delicate as the 1937 model.

And there you have it.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:48 pm

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Good work!
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Return to Football 101