H-Back in the "Gibbs Offense"

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++++++++

H-Back in the "Gibbs Offense"

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:33 pm

Now, I think I know what the H-Back position does, and how it's used...

But in the past, Gibbs has used an H-Back one year and a TE another year right?

Clint Didier was an H-back correct? Then later Don Warren was more of a true TE with excellent blocking ability?

Or am I missing something? Did Gibbs use an H-Back during the last time we won a Superbowl?

It seems like Gibbs will vary his offenses to his personnel, but what positions/roles did guys play on offense in both 1987 and 1991?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:49 am

He had an H-back and a TE. In 87 and 91 Didier was the H-back. Terry Orr also played there. The TE was Warren. The base offense was 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 HB, 1 RB along with 5 OLmen and the QB. But when the Skin's went with 3 WR's, sometimes the HB came out sometimes it was the TE. On goaline offense the only WR on the field would be Monk, who would line up tight to block.
The offense was varried with a lot of players coming and going. Kelvin Bryant and Nick Giaquinto were pass catching backs that came in on 3rd down. Lots of people helped the high powered offense of the Skin's back then.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:46 am

So in the Redskins new offense this year (primarily 3 WR from what I understand) how will that work?

Is Fauria a part time player? Will Cooley be lining up as a TE most of the time... will we run some double TE sets?

I can't wait to see how this works... what I wouldn't give to see a Redskins offensive playbook, lol.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby TincoSkin » Sat May 06, 2006 12:51 pm

i bet we run double tight ends a lot when we are pounding the ball up the middle, a lot of moving the point of attack with the run along the line and play action passing utilzing the screen and te late routs of course with deep bombs to santana
GIBBS FOR LIFE

Hey hey hey, go Greenway!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:29 pm

WM said
He had an H-back and a TE. In 87 and 91 Didier was the H-back. Terry Orr also played there. The TE was Warren. The base offense was 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 HB, 1 RB along with 5 OLmen and the QB. But when the Skin's went with 3 WR's, sometimes the HB came out sometimes it was the TE. On goaline offense the only WR on the field would be Monk, who would line up tight to block.
The offense was varried with a lot of players coming and going. Kelvin Bryant and Nick Giaquinto were pass catching backs that came in on 3rd down. Lots of people helped the high powered offense of the Skin's back then.

Absolutely.

And when they went with the 3 WR's, called "posse" in Gibbs terminology, and thus the name for Monk + Sanders + Clark, he would put Monk at H-back. Since Monk was a powerful blocker, they could run almsot as effectively as when they had Didier, Doc Walker, or Orr on the field. Outguess that formation, Mr. Opposing Defensive Coordinator.

They also have a "heavy jumbo" goal-line package that they used in the '91 season with Russ Grimm or Mark Addickes as an eligble receiver.

What will we see this season? I make no predictions until the first regular season game.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Jon Jansen was a receiving tight end in high school before attending Michigan.

My 2 cents
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby SkinsFanInHawai'i » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 am

Lets hope he doesn't brake his thumbs again :lol:

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:24 am

His hands are so big, he probably doesn't need them.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:15 pm

JansenFan wrote:His hands are so big, he probably doesn't need them.

I'd bet he'd play without them :wink:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Postby T-Nasty24 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:18 am

Will there be an H Back with Saunders?

Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:19 am

Not likely. Cooley will see a lot more TE sets and looks. I don't imagine that they'll abandon the HBack spot entirely, but it won't be the norm.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:33 pm

According to Cooley, he is running a lot of the same plays and some of the same motions, they just call him a Y instead of an H.
RIP 21

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Saunders track record with tight ends bodes well for Cooley ... and everyone else =)
RIP Sean Taylor

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:46 am

I agree Fios, but I also think that Saunders is going to benefit the most from the quality of players he inherits. This is a group of players that seem to more than suit his type of playcalling and I am sure that everyone will be excited to be a part of an attacking offense.
I remember talking with some of the linemen from the earlier Gibbs' teams and Starke in particular used to love just playing the game because the coaches made them all look good.
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Return to Football 101