Pulling Guard

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
~~~~~~~~

Pulling Guard

Postby ii7-V7 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:01 am

I've never been exactly sure whats meant by a "pulling" guard or tackle. Is it where the linemen shift to block a different person than they are lined up across from? Or, is it simply when they pull back to accept a D-lines charge?

Chad

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:10 am

I may be wrong but I think a "pulling guard" is a classic Joe Gibbs player. Instead of blocking the person directly in front of him, the guard would pull back...run to his right (or left) and block the person in that direction. I "think" that's what it is....but not 100% sure.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:41 am

yep, the guard backs up instead of typical run blocking, to lead block a side for a RB. you see a lot of this when you only have one man in the backfield(usually a RB and no fullback, the guard sort of plays fullback). it's used sort of as a mis-direction play, and the guard has to be quick on his feet or it won't work, the back will outrun the guard. randy thomas is excellent at this.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Return to Football 101