Interchangeable Parts

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++++++++

Interchangeable Parts

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:07 pm

How was Joe Gibbs able to be so successful with different quarterbacks?

It seems very rare for a QB to just switch teams and find instant success does it not?

Maybe I'm just missing something but it seems like all the great QB's are guys who were drafted, played with one team and were an expert at one system, or who had the new systems tailored perfectly to their game.

What examples are there are big QB's who switched teams and were equally as effective?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:17 pm

Joe Gibbs has historically changed his offense by 30% in each and every off-season to account for new personnel, to keep opponents off balance, and to take advantage of tendencies in existing personnel. This is why he has typically been successful year after year. This is why we stunk in 04 and made the playoffs in 05.

In most cases, "franchise quarterbacks" typically stay with one team until they should retire, but aren't ready. I'm sure there is a player that is slipping my mind, but I can't think of too many examples. What about Sonny? How effective was he in Philadelphia?
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:16 pm

JansenFan wrote:In most cases, "franchise quarterbacks" typically stay with one team until they should retire, but aren't ready. I'm sure there is a player that is slipping my mind, but I can't think of too many examples. What about Sonny? How effective was he in Philadelphia?

Sonny's statistics with Philadelphia:

Code: Select all
YEAR  GM  ATT  CMP  YRDS  TD  IN  QBRTG

1957  10   70   33   470   5   8   53.6
1958  12   22   12   259   0   1   77.7
1959  12    5    3    27   1   0  114.2
1960  12   44   24   486   5   1  122.0
1961  14  416  235  3723  32  24   88.1
1962  14  366  196  3261  22  26   74.3
1963   9  184   99  1413  11  13   69.4

He didn't play a whole lot but had a pretty good season in there. Certainly nothing to suggest he'd be in the Hall of Fame one day.

I didn't really understand your question. Are you looking for "franchise quarterbacks" who were effective with one team, then switched to another, and continued to be effective (eliminating guys like Favre, who wasn't effective with the Falcons in his first season, and Unitas, who wasn't effective with the Chargers in his last)?
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:48 pm

What I mean is... it doesn't seem like you see a lot of great quarterbacks who can just easily hop from team to team...

The guys you see go from one team to another and do very well are guys who are selected because the system perfectly fits them either by chance or design.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:29 pm

JF said
In most cases, "franchise quarterbacks" typically stay with one team until they should retire, but aren't ready. I'm sure there is a player that is slipping my mind, but I can't think of too many examples. What about Sonny? How effective was he in Philadelphia?

- the '61 season showed what Sonny could do. It was astounding to through 32 TD passes. Remember (OK, I'm one of the few old enough to remember, but anyway...) that Sonny was expected to be the future starter when the Eagles got Norm Van Brocklin from the Rams. (As a matter of fact, Van B was a "franchise QB" and future Hall of Famer.) Van B started for about three years, led the Eagles to the NFL championship, and retired. Sonny was spectacular, and the Eagles were foolish to give him up.

- In addition to Van Brocklin, there was Y.A. Tittle. The '49ers traded Tittle to the Giants, and "YAT" took the Giants to a pair of NFL championship games. They lost, but he got them there, and he went to the Hall of Fame, too.

So...teams have traded known-star QB's, but it's unusual. More typical: Jurgenson (withe the Redskins), Unitas, Brodie, Starr playing almost their entire careers with one team.

Return to Football 101