Roughing the Passer on someone other then the QB?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

Roughing the Passer on someone other then the QB?

Postby doroshjt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Watching the Saints game last night, my wife asked me a question I didn't know the answer to. They threw a backwards pass to Moore who then got smashed as he threw an incomplete pass.

She asked, if Moore got hit late, would they call roughing the passer even though the passer wasn't lined up as QB? Anyone know?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Technically they should, but I doubt it would happen, just because it's not a precious QB. They might call unnecessary roughness if the hit was really late, though.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Thundersloth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Yes, they can make that call which is why the penalty is called roughing the passer and not roughing the QB. Halfback pass, double pass to a flanker, punter, place kicker it doesn't matter who throws the ball, if they are hit late the call would be roughing the passer. I've never seen it in a Pro game, but I've seen college games where it was called. Hope this helps.
If you're mad at your kid, you can either raise him to be a nose tackle or send him out to play on the freeway. It's about the same. ~Bob Golic

Return to Football 101