Franchise tag?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Franchise tag?

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:51 am

Someone give me the skinny on this please?

What I know is players don't really like this TAG on themselves, which makes them not play balls-out........fearing injury and not getting on with current team or any other for that matter.

If they are tagged, can they still be traded? It's all leverage and money and trading power, I think. YET players feel that the "BUSINESS" of football exploits them in this manner.

...........yes, Football is a business
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:12 am

If a player gets tagged they can be traded, if the team that wants them can workout a deal with the tagged player and the team that tagged him.

If the player signs the tag offer the compensation to the player would be the average of the top 5 highest players at his spot. The team would get a first round pick if the player just signs with another team.

The team that tags a player must have the cap room available to cover the price of the tag until its signed or removed. A team can remove the tag at anytime and the player as until week 10 to sign the tag, he can't play until he signs.

Players hit free agency to get paid, the only money thy know that'll get is the bonus money, the tag is strictly base salary and it's a one year deal.

Once a free agent is tagged he no longer is a free agent because the team that tagged him will be expecting compensation.

If the tag is removed then the player is a true free agent again.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Wow...that truly is complicated. Players hate to be tagged or what? 50/50..?
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:05 am

They hate it unless they know they and the team are working on a long term deal. Players live for long deals... the longer the deal the more time they have to prorate that huge signing bonus that players good enough to be tagged would get right around midnight on the day the market opens.

The tag will get the player more in base salary than they would get under a new deal with whoever wants to sign them, but the tag only locks that salary in for one year and there is no signing bonus money for the player. Teams willing to trade for a tagged player may take into account whatever they will give the team that tagged the player when working out a deal with the player.

If the tagging team uses the tag in order to by them some time to get a deal done then the player will only be upset if he knows he'll make more on the OPEN market. If he's tagged in good faith he knows that signing bonus money is still there.

I'd say it more 25/75 than 50/50

Players want to be able to let their agents go out and find them the best deal. The agent and player are Team A and the team offering the deal is team B, that's all the player wants (the TWO sides getting together)... but when the agent has to go back to the tagging team ( Now Team A) saying they have a deal with team B, they will then have to wait until they can work out a deal because of the tag.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:25 am

Each team can only use on tag per year? Is there carry over if u don't use it?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Postby 1niksder » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:50 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Each team can only use on tag per year? Is there carry over if u don't use it?

No carry over..... A player can be un-tagged and the can be used on another if I'm not mistaken, but their is a time limit (window) on the tam to use the tag
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:36 am

Thx 1nik!

Post padding!

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Now that Brees was franchised we have a way--- better shot at Nicks or Colston. I think were going to get the latter to pair up with RG3.
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

Return to Football 101