Tackling

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Skins History Buff

Re: Tackling

Postby welch » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Like Deadskins (first reply), I was taught to hit with my shoulder, head to the side. No one mentioned head up or eyes at the ground, although a shadowy memory says we were told to keep our eyes on the ball carrier...he might be shifting. This was about 1960, and I can understand how that technique led to spearing, and spearing to injuries to offense and defense. I well remember Mike Bass's last tackle. he was the Redskins CB who played opposite Pat Fischer in the '70s. Fine player.

On his last play, Bass went low, drove his shoulder toward a ballcarrier's left leg. Right knee came up and hit Bass square on top of the helmet. He suffered a "jammed neck". Doctors warned Bass that his neck had been weakened; another tackle might break it.

the 'mudge

Re: Tackling

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:53 am

Mike Bass was, I think, destined for great things... VERY talented corner... physically gifted and technically excellent... of the "lock down" variety. I remember the play, too... it was a terrible shame.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Football 101