Carroll/Belichick SB coaching decisions

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Diesel

Carroll/Belichick SB coaching decisions

Postby DEHog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:13 am

I coach (at the HS level) and one of the most mismanaged parts of the game is time management. I educated myself on it a few years ago. That said I’m curious what you thought about how Carrol and Belichick managed the last minutes of the SB. I thought the TO that the Hawks had to call after the Kearse catch was what really set the stage for the called pass play on second down. As for Belichick the numbers say he should have used his TO to save time for his offense. It was a gutsy move by him to not call a TO and in doing so he placed the time management decisions squarely on Carroll. I keep reading that Carrol wanted to waste a play and time so that they could come back and win it with running Lynch?? This makes no sense to me, TD’s are not guaranteed and if you score there you’re not wasting time which I didn’t think was a factor since there were on 26 sec left…you run your best play there. All indication were that the Hawks were great on short yardage situation, converting around 87 percent of the time, (although not as good on the GL) and the Pats only stops opponents 17 percent of the time. That being said I think you have to give Lynch at least one shot at the end zone, I’d have run on second down, called a time out ( if Lynch doesn’t score) to discuss third and fourth down. I ‘m sure Belichick would have use his TO as well on third or fourth down. It’s not that I had a problem with the pass call on second down it’s the play they ran…if the pass was incomplete then even body knew you were coming back with Lynch on third down…so second down was the best down you had to run a play action with Lynch. I would have loved to have seen the read option there, with a run, keep, or pass options all in play. Bottom line in that situation with one TO remaining I’m running my BEST play, hard to believe the “rub” play (against a big corner with a small WR ) was their best play???
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

JSPB22

Re: Carroll/Belichick SB coaching decisions

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:28 am

DEHog wrote:I coach (at the HS level) and one of the most mismanaged parts of the game is time management. I educated myself on it a few years ago. That said I’m curious what you thought about how Carrol and Belichick managed the last minutes of the SB. I thought the TO that the Hawks had to call after the Kearse catch was what really set the stage for the called pass play on second down. As for Belichick the numbers say he should have used his TO to save time for his offense. It was a gutsy move by him to not call a TO and in doing so he placed the time management decisions squarely on Carroll. I keep reading that Carrol wanted to waste a play and time so that they could come back and win it with running Lynch?? This makes no sense to me, TD’s are not guaranteed and if you score there you’re not wasting time which I didn’t think was a factor since there were on 26 sec left…you run your best play there. All indication were that the Hawks were great on short yardage situation, converting around 87 percent of the time, (although not as good on the GL) and the Pats only stops opponents 17 percent of the time. That being said I think you have to give Lynch at least one shot at the end zone, I’d have run on second down, called a time out ( if Lynch doesn’t score) to discuss third and fourth down. I ‘m sure Belichick would have use his TO as well on third or fourth down. It’s not that I had a problem with the pass call on second down it’s the play they ran…if the pass was incomplete then even body knew you were coming back with Lynch on third down…so second down was the best down you had to run a play action with Lynch. I would have loved to have seen the read option there, with a run, keep, or pass options all in play. Bottom line in that situation with one TO remaining I’m running my BEST play, hard to believe the “rub” play (against a big corner with a small WR ) was their best play???

Totally agree. I can see play action on that play. Like you said, if you run Lynch in that situation, and he doesn't get in, then you call your timeout with at least 20 seconds on the clock. That's plenty of time to run two more plays (which you would have called during the time out, so no need for huddling). I understand Carrol's explanation, but I don't agree with his logic. There was plenty of time to get off all four downs even if he runs on that play. I also couldn't believe Belichick didn't use his TO to save time in the event the Seahawks scored.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:30 am

I'll add another reason I didn’t like the call is because it wasn’t thrown into the end zone, many have said that Wilson should have put the ball “on him”. If he does I don’t think Lockett would have score and the Hawks would have still had to use their TO.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:02 pm

initially I felt that it was obvious that the Seahawks would have found a way to score by giving the ball to Lynch ...

I now have heard the analysis/opinion from both Carroll and Belicheat and understand that it was not a horrendous play call

it just did not work out - the Seahawks should have scored ... but ...

that's the sort of play that makes football so exciting - "see you next season ... bigger and better than ever ..."

Tom Brady could be considered one of the best ever Super Bowl QBs - in the 6 Super Bowls he has played QB he has won 4

in the last 3 Super Bowls he has left the field with little time on the clock and his team has been leading ...

It's not totally crazy to point out that Tom Brady could be an 'undefeated' Super Bowl QB ...
The Redskins will never be a consistently successful franchise while Dan Snyder is so involved with 'managing'
we may have some success but there's no chance of any consistentency ... NONE!

Return to Football 101