Cap Space and the PUP list

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Cap Space and the PUP list

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:09 am

Walt Harris was placed on the PUP list and is scheduled to make $660,000.00 this year and a $250,000.00 signing bonus that's $910,000.00 on the cap this year. will we get any Cap relief by moving him to the pup list? or do we still take a hit for the full 910K?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:43 am

I tried doing a little research and I didn't see anything that really addressed this. If the regular season starts with him on the PUP, he is not on the active 53 man roster which is how the salary cap is determined (to my knowledge). We would have 53 other players that would count against the cap. So, I would guess no, although I have again, not seen anything to support or dispute that thinking as of yet.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:13 pm

Section 2. Physically Unable to Perform: Any player placed on a Physically Unable to Perform list (“PUP”) will be paid his full salary while on such list. His contract will not be tolled for the period he is on PUP, except in the last year of his contract, when the player’s contract will be tolled if he is still physically unable to perform his football services as of the sixth regular season game.

This is the only thing I have found so far. Looking for the definition of the contract being tolled. More to come later.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Return to Football 101