Draft week are you ready?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^^^^^^

Re: Draft week are you ready?

Postby frankcal20 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:26 am

Just a guess but I would bet we TRADE DOWN!!! With the 2nd round being on Friday, other teams will have more time to put a deal together overnight and the Skins need more picks. Move back say 10 spots and pick up a 4th/early 5th rd pick. I'm up for it.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue May 06, 2014 10:40 am

I agree if there isn't someone we think is an immediate solution at RT or the secondary or inside LB. If there's a quality player we think could start soon at our biggest needs, I don't see how a 4/5 is worth passing on filling that hole.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue May 06, 2014 11:56 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:I agree if there isn't someone we think is an immediate solution at RT or the secondary or inside LB. If there's a quality player we think could start soon at our biggest needs, I don't see how a 4/5 is worth passing on filling that hole.

I think Bruce Allen is in agreement with both of you. If you checked out his pre-draft conference, he said he was open to trading down "in theory", but would be less likely if a player they've given a first round grade is available at 34.

Note that he talked about the grade not the "position of need" stuff.

Anyway, seems like a sensible approach.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 07, 2014 10:13 am

Allen: Redskins will take best player available in NFL Draft

As he looks over the roster as it stands on the eve of the NFL Draft, Redskins general manager Bruce Allen says he doesn’t see any “gaping holes,” but that the organization has the goal of improving future depth.

Washington during free agency made moves to improve the interior of the offensive line, wide receiver, inside linebacker and defensive back, which ranked among the most pressing needs on the roster. Because of those accomplishments, Allen believes the team will have the freedom to draft the best player available.

“There’s no one position,” Allen said when asked if one position carries a greater priority than the others.

Further assessing the Redskins’ situation, Allen said, “The draft is going to be a great way to add to the team. We’ve been active in free agency, so we feel there are no gaping holes on the roster. But as we look at our team, we really look at where our roster is in 2015 and 2016 as well. It allows us the flexibility to make sure we follow the draft board that’s been set up with everyone’s communication. We’re not looking at a particular position as we address the draft.”

The Redskins must approach the draft with flexibility, because as was the case last season, they enter the draft without a first-round pick. That selection, which would’ve been second overall, now belongs to the St. Louis Rams as the final installment of Washington’s agreement in 2012 to send three first-rounders and a second-rounder to the Rams in exchange for the pick that gave the Redskins rights to draft Robert Griffin III.

Washington first gets on the clock with the 34th overall pick, the second of the second round. Washington then currently has a pick in each of the next five rounds: 66th, 102nd, 142nd, 178th and 217th.

So, a number of dominoes must fall before Washington makes its first selection.

The team does have several areas where long-term depth requires attention, however.

On offense, right tackle is believed to rank high on Washington’s shopping list. The team also could use a big-target wide receiver, and improved tight end depth. On defense, Washington lacks long-term options at inside linebacker, cornerback and safety.

But it remains to be seen which order, and exactly which of those areas Washington will attempt to address in the draft. Allen called it “unlikely” that the Redskins would move up in the draft because they have limited resources to dangle in front of teams in the first round. He said Washington has had “no discussions” regarding packaging backup quarterback Kirk Cousins with a pick, or picks, to move up in the draft. Allen said the Redskins also haven’t had any discussions at all regarding trading Cousins.

Allen said he would listen to inquiries from teams when it comes to moving down in the draft if it meant acquiring more picks, but no deals are imminent.

Allen stressed that Washington must do a better job of not only selecting, but also developing prospects. In the past two offseasons, the Redskins have drafted players with the intention of improving the line, linebacker position and the secondary.

But guards Josh LeRibeus (third-rounder in 2012) and Adam Gettis (fifth-rounder, 2012) and tackle Tom Compton (sixth-rounder, 2012), linebackers Keenan Robinson (fourth-round, 2012) and Brandon Jenkins (fifth round, 2013) and safeties Phillip Thomas (fourth-rounder, 2013) and Bacarri Rambo (sixth-rounder, 2013) have all either scarcely played, or in some cases, haven’t played at all because of injury.

The Redskins in the last four years have hit on tackle Trent Williams, linebacker Perry Riley Jr., quarterback Robert Griffin III and running back Alfred Morris. But Allen admits, that the draft success has not been what it needs to be.

“I don’t think you can say we’ve done well because of our record,” he said referring to three last-place finishes in the NFC East in the past four seasons. “I don’t really believe in grading drafts because we have a record. The Washington Redskins have a lot of flags and hardware up there, but not through the draft, but through other means of player acquisition. We’re looking forward to changing that and developing our players. We still have some young players on our roster who haven’t really played yet, and I think that’s a big task for the coaches, who got to see them at this first minicamp, and have started to develop opinions on them.”

Washington, because it has a new head coach in Jay Gruden, held its first minicamp last week, and that afforded coaches to get a look at the players on the roster in advance of this week’s selections. But Allen said that nothing seen in those practices have dramatically swayed the opinions of where the roster stands, or sentiments on draft needs.

The Redskins on Monday received word that suspended safety Tanard Jackson will be reinstated by the league, and he was at team headquarters Tuesday morning. But Allen described the move as a “conditional reinstatement.” He said the return of Jackson, who was slapped in 2012 with an indefinite suspension for repeatedly violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, will not impact draft plans.

“It won’t affect the draft at all,” Allen said. “When he was suspended, we were aware that he had to comply with a lot of rules and regulations that the league and players association agreed to. It’s a compliment to him, but I have not talked to him yet, because he isn’t really reinstated yet. But it’s a compliment that he has a desire to play. I look forward to talking to him and the coaches look forward to talking to him.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... nfl-draft/
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 08, 2014 10:18 am

Sucks not having a first rounder again (screw it, this is the last year paying for it and I'd still make the RGIII trade), but there are still a lot of reasons to pay attention tonight. Rich Tandler has a great piece on things to watch for:

A run on quarterbacks—If quarterback-needy teams like the Jaguars and Browns go after their guys in the first round and other teams start trading up into the late first to reach for guys like Tom Savage the Redskins should be happy. That would mean that a lot of true first-round talent is getting left on the board as QB’s who are really third-round values are picked. Washington would be looking at a pretty good pool of prospects to choose from at 34.

A QB drought—Yes, not many quarterbacks being taken could work to the Redskins’ advantage as well. If teams wait until the second round for the quarterbacks they could overpay to trade up to get their guy who is still there at 34. The Redskins could move back in the second round and still get a good player plus a fourth- or maybe even a late third-round pick.

Lots of surprises—The first item on this list is a subset of this possibility. If teams are reaching for second-round talent in the first round, the Redskins could end up with a large pool of first-round talent from which to choose when their pick comes up.

Picks in the division—This is pretty obvious, paying attention to the guys who the Redskins will be facing twice a year. Last year the Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles all took offensive linemen so while they probably helped themselves they didn’t land any players who would scare you. This time around names like WR’s Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks and Odell Beckham are being tossed around the division so keep an eye on that.

A run on tackles—If, say, Morgan Moses goes to the Dolphins with the 19th pick, a run on tackles could ensure. The Redskins likely want to have the option of taking a tackle but there’s a possibility that all of them who could be good values with the 34th pick will be gone.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu May 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi Guys.... When do we actually pick? I just counting the hours...!!! Do we pick on Friday or Sat or what...??
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Unless we trade down, we have the second pick on Friday.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby rick301 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:32 am

tribeofjudah wrote:Hi Guys.... When do we actually pick? I just counting the hours...!!! Do we pick on Friday or Sat or what...??

Round 2 starts Friday night at 6:30 PM. We have the 2nd pick and picks in round 2 are limited to 7 minutes each. Therefore, the skins should be announcing their pick about 6:37 - 6:44 PM.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 09, 2014 9:01 am

rick301 wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:Hi Guys.... When do we actually pick? I just counting the hours...!!! Do we pick on Friday or Sat or what...??

Round 2 starts Friday night at 6:30 PM. We have the 2nd pick and picks in round 2 are limited to 7 minutes each. Therefore, the skins should be announcing their pick about 6:37 - 6:44 PM.

Excellent post, man. I appreciate your exactitude. :)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 09, 2014 10:03 am

riggofan wrote:
rick301 wrote:

Excellent post, man. I appreciate your exactitude. :)

Not that exact. It actually starts at 7:00 PM. :oops:

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Damn you! Praise recanted!!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri May 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Regardless...
There is still a LOAD of 1st round grade talent sitting on the board, in a number of positions of need for the Redskins. We either trade back for value (not so far that the talent deteriorates significantly) OR we take BPA and plug him in.

This should be a score.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat May 10, 2014 8:08 am

Countertrey wrote:Regardless...
There is still a LOAD of 1st round grade talent sitting on the board, in a number of positions of need for the Redskins. We either trade back for value (not so far that the talent deteriorates significantly) OR we take BPA and plug him in.

This should be a score.

now that is spot on ... :D
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football