Boswell says Cousins is as good as gone

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Re: Boswell says Cousins is as good as gone

Postby welch » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm watching the Jets right now. Josh McCown at QB. Jets could do well with Cousins. As DEHog says, if Snyder and Allen need another five games to decide, then Cousins does not need Washington.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Yes, to a certain degree OJ.

But let's not kid ourselves. This team is full of holes in critical positions and gentlemen who would be third string reserves in any other team.
Even AP in his prime would have a hard time gaining any yards with this team and its indescifrable coaching strategy.

This is not something that happens in a day. It's the final result of years and years of terrible drafting and personel management.

We pretty much stumbled on KC. Well, Shanny did as a safeguard against a first round bust (he was right). Sadly, every other part of
team sucks and any stability (WR position last year, for example) is quickly erased. #-o

At this juncture, every game is a toss-up. No one, not even the players, know what team will show up. They react when they see the team in front of them.
In the olden days, I clearly remember we established the conditions of the game, not the other way around. I miss that.

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:47 pm

when you have a good player at the most important position you try and build around that QB - I'm not sure that Cousins will want any part of this and who could blame him - we're going to continue to be a joke as long as we keep doing what we've been doing here

the reality is that it's impossible to be a top 10 franchise when you continue to make the stupid mistakes that this franchise does
The Redskins have been a huge disappointment since 1999 - it's not getting better until Dan Snyder stops interfering
give people the authority to do their jobs and support them
'Happy Xmas, you're fired Bruce Allen' would be a good start

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 am

The Redskins need Kirk Cousins .... they missed the opportunity to sign him to a long term deal and I really doubt he will be here in 2018

mistakes like this are what keeps this franchise in the bottom third of the NFL
The Redskins have been a huge disappointment since 1999 - it's not getting better until Dan Snyder stops interfering

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:08 pm

If you were Kirk Cousins would the Redskins be your first choice? I am sure Kirk likes Gruden, his teammates and many other people in the organization but Kirk has probably had his fill of Snyder and his sycophants would love to leave. I don't know that this is the case but it was not hard to imagine that being the case before the year when Kirk didn't bother to counter the Skins low ball offer and now this crap in the media about Kirk needing to demonstrate his worth during the last 5 games and a media report of lockerroom dissension. Snyder always does his best to shred the reputations of people that are going to be leaving him and I think the Kirk dumping has begun. At this point I expect Kirk to move on in 2018 and I hope it is to one of the strong franchises that is ready to compete for a Super Bowl during the next 5 years. I would enjoy watching him succeed with his new team.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:43 am

Duuuuuhhh Boswell... a 5 year old knows Cousins isn't coming back here. [-(
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 am

OldSchool wrote:If you were Kirk Cousins would the Redskins be your first choice? I am sure Kirk likes Gruden, his teammates and many other people in the organization but Kirk has probably had his fill of Snyder and his sycophants would love to leave. I don't know that this is the case but it was not hard to imagine that being the case before the year when Kirk didn't bother to counter the Skins low ball offer and now this crap in the media about Kirk needing to demonstrate his worth during the last 5 games and a media report of lockerroom dissension. Snyder always does his best to shred the reputations of people that are going to be leaving him and I think the Kirk dumping has begun. At this point I expect Kirk to move on in 2018 and I hope it is to one of the strong franchises that is ready to compete for a Super Bowl during the next 5 years. I would enjoy watching him succeed with his new team.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no!

The amount of disrespect our organization has shown that man, even including the present, would push anyone away.

He's not coming back and when he signs with another team I hope he gets paper cuts on each of his fingers... every week. :mrgreen:

Wait.. why would you enjoy watching him succeed when he's not playing for your team bro?

TEAM > PLAYERS
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

I would like to have Cousins here but I cannot see that happening either ...

I don't really care how well or badly players play when they leave, unless, by their play, they 'help' the Redskins

it's disappointing to be a Redskins fan and be a witness to what's happening here but there's no way to stop hoping things will change

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
OldSchool wrote:If you were Kirk Cousins would the Redskins be your first choice? I am sure Kirk likes Gruden, his teammates and many other people in the organization but Kirk has probably had his fill of Snyder and his sycophants would love to leave. I don't know that this is the case but it was not hard to imagine that being the case before the year when Kirk didn't bother to counter the Skins low ball offer and now this crap in the media about Kirk needing to demonstrate his worth during the last 5 games and a media report of lockerroom dissension. Snyder always does his best to shred the reputations of people that are going to be leaving him and I think the Kirk dumping has begun. At this point I expect Kirk to move on in 2018 and I hope it is to one of the strong franchises that is ready to compete for a Super Bowl during the next 5 years. I would enjoy watching him succeed with his new team.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no!

The amount of disrespect our organization has shown that man, even including the present, would push anyone away.

He's not coming back and when he signs with another team I hope he gets paper cuts on each of his fingers... every week. :mrgreen:

Wait.. why would you enjoy watching him succeed when he's not playing for your team bro?

TEAM > PLAYERS

I really like Cousins and if he leaves to a good franchise I Denver I'm going to jump on their bandwagon. I'd prefer Cousins to come to terms with the Skins and the Skins to be will run and winners but that is about as likely as Scarlett Johannsen telling me at the 7/11 that she has always had a thing for short fat old guys and wants to do me why I eat a bear claw.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

^^ well that certainly helps us understand where you're coming from ...

I'm not a medical person but I hope there's something you can take that might help ...

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:08 am

Interesting that there is nothing in the CBA about a fouth franchise tag...

There's nothing in the collective bargaining agreement that says what happens if a team wants to franchise a player for a fourth year in a row, so hypothetically, if Cousins were to play out 2018 on a $34 million franchise tag, and Washington wanted to franchise him again in 2019, they'd probably have to have some sort of hearing on whether they're allowed to do that and what it should cost. Hypothetically (and we're really stressing that word here), another 44 percent salary increase would make Cousins' 2019 franchise tag about $49 million.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21693343/resetting-kirk-cousins-looming-contract-stand-changed-washington-redskins-quarterback-more
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:08 am

Honestly, at this point I'm not going to be too sad over Cousins leaving. He's lost some of his negotiating leverage after a sub-par year, but so many teams are desperate for a starting QB that someone is going to give him a record-breaking contract. I hope we're not the team to do it.

It looks to me like Cousins has been holding back these past few weeks. Not putting everything on the line to win, just doing what the coaches ask him to do — and if it doesn't work out, oh well, he still goes home to a $25 million paycheck for the year and the prospect of making much more soon. I see a lack of a killer instinct, and just a bit less competitiveness. I do not expect him to go out and lead a game-winning drive with grit and determination. Something is missing.

He just seems content with what he has and what he's likely to get. IMHO. And for that I do not want this franchise to break the bank. While I wish he was our franchise QB and signed to a long-term deal already, I'm afraid we missed the window to make it happen in a reasonable way. So let him walk to San Fran (or wherever). I don't see him going there and suddenly becoming a top-5 QB who wins in the clutch.
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Honestly, at this point I'm not going to be too sad over Cousins leaving. He's lost some of his negotiating leverage after a sub-par year, but so many teams are desperate for a starting QB that someone is going to give him a record-breaking contract. I hope we're not the team to do it.

It looks to me like Cousins has been holding back these past few weeks. Not putting everything on the line to win, just doing what the coaches ask him to do — and if it doesn't work out, oh well, he still goes home to a $25 million paycheck for the year and the prospect of making much more soon. I see a lack of a killer instinct, and just a bit less competitiveness. I do not expect him to go out and lead a game-winning drive with grit and determination. Something is missing.

He just seems content with what he has and what he's likely to get. IMHO. And for that I do not want this franchise to break the bank. While I wish he was our franchise QB and signed to a long-term deal already, I'm afraid we missed the window to make it happen in a reasonable way. So let him walk to San Fran (or wherever). I don't see him going there and suddenly becoming a top-5 QB who wins in the clutch.

sadly true but this was always the case with Kirk Cousins - he deserves the big contract but it's not because of his play at QB but more because of the market value for a good QB which he is - Kirk Cousins has never been a QB that is going to go out and put it all on the line to help his team win ... but then again he has not been treated with much respect here at all and so who knows what he might become if he was playing for a franchise that really wanted him

we can look at all the possibilities but we should not forget that the decisions will not make sense - this is the Redskins under Dan Snyder

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Honestly, at this point I'm not going to be too sad over Cousins leaving. He's lost some of his negotiating leverage after a sub-par year, but so many teams are desperate for a starting QB that someone is going to give him a record-breaking contract. I hope we're not the team to do it.

I agree with everything…except I could see him going elsewhere and having great success in the right system….i.e, Like Goff with McVay. I could see him in Jacksonville, or Minnesota. If I’m the Skins I’m going to get something in return via trade...The stuff coming out about him is interesting, makes me think the Skins are trying to drive the price down to retain him??
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:19 pm

DEHog wrote:

I agree with everything…except I could see him going elsewhere and having great success in the right system….i.e, Like Goff with McVay. I could see him in Jacksonville, or Minnesota. If I’m the Skins I’m going to get something in return via trade.

:shock: most everyone with any sense would try and make the best of this as possible ...

I don't see any reason at all why this FO would suddenly start making good decisions for this franchise

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football