Major fall off in participation in here

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii
Posts: 6755
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm

riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:But..... The participation has been high under Snyder is my point. When was th.net founded? Point being.. We have had a dip and it was the same owner and likely as good or worse team- we havent been "good" in decades!


Well, if you're wondering about board participation, I'm pretty sure SkinsJock has personally decimated about 80% of user participation on this board. :D

I just get tired of talking about the owner. If every discussion of "football" always comes down to: "this team will never be good as long as Dan Snyder owns it blah blah blah" then what's the point of talking about it anymore? Its boring. Also, Dan Snyder is like 51 years old if I'm not mistaken. He's not going anywhere as much as I know that sucks.

I also don't buy that the team can't ever be good under Snyder. These other 31 team owners are not all football geniuses either and many of them meddle in the team just as much as Snyder does. I think as a Skins fan - assuming you care enough to do so - you just have to hope that Snyder finally lucks his way into something that works.

We were ONE pick away from Andrew Luck instead of RG3. I kinda think Shanahans + Andrew Luck might have had a different outcome myself.

I get though that fans are tired of what if's and we'll get'em next year's. I'm tired too.



Couldnt agree more man... The beaten horse of "the front office" and "Allen is..." This that and the other thing... DS has owned the team since what '99?? We drafted the late great Sean Taylor in 2004!
Ya its been up and down with mostly downs... Posters were active during the McNugget debacle, yet- this is (on paper; save the current qb situation) one of the most talented groups we've had in some time.

The excessive amount of injuries kills me tho- the last 2 years have been nothing short of devastating in that respect. Not sure if its the strength and conditioning team, a curse, the turf, bad luck, or otherwise... But its disheartening nonetheless, and drives me away from not just the board- but the NFL in general.

ButtFumble with his 10 plays makes me want to spend my time casting streamers and catching fish instead!

Last year we hit a similar wall- albeit not as bad... I caught fish and recorded the game instead of watching/ posting... Aand sure as sh1t we beat Seattle in their house, 12th man and all!!

Not filling great about the last quarter of this season though; particularly with ButtFumble at the helm #-o

But alas, this team has made me a gluten for punishment- thus I'll still be here each week:

HTTR
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ
Posts: 18257
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England - Red Sox & Patriots - how great is that

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:22 pm

screw the doubters and screw those that think this is their space and that their viewpoint is the only one that matters

this is a place to come and post your opinions (good or bad) on the Redskins - we have gone from 6-3 to 6-6 and we could end up 4th in the NFC East - I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED

OK - Contrary to what some want you to think or know - I do think this franchise can be successful with Dan Snyder as the owner
Dan Snyder just needs to get rid of Bruce Allen and hire a GM and let him manage the franchise like MOST of the other NFL franchises

I also don't know that we need to get rid of Jay Gruden (although the new GM might want to) - this franchise has to go through a couple of drafts to even begin to be competitive again - why not keep him here and get rid of him later
This franchise is not getting better with the current people in charge - we need to do everything differently - the NFL has evolved and we're not adapting to what is working in today's NFL

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 3006
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Redacted.
Last edited by Burgundy&GoldForever on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

08 Champ
Posts: 18257
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England - Red Sox & Patriots - how great is that

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

hopefully that helped you ... :roll:
This franchise is not getting better with the current people in charge - we need to do everything differently - the NFL has evolved and we're not adapting to what is working in today's NFL

**ch44
Posts: 2445
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 pm

I’m not sure the statement that this team will never win when Snyder is owner is true. I think it’s hope that’s keeping people from being engaged. With gruden, you have a middling coach. Those are the results you can expect. With Cousins, he’s a middling QB. Those are the results he gives. Smith is a middling QB, and it was only when he was surrounded by TOP talent, that he was winner. There’s no hope in being average.

I think if Snyder brought in a forward thinking President and GM, who hired a progressive young head coach, I think the fan base would support that. There would be hope. RG3 brought hope and the fans were out full force. But the retread idea is is getting old. The hiring of a coaching staff that has never sniffed success anywhere is an issue. It doesn’t provide any hope. Unfortunately we let McVey walk...and I think that was a HUGE organizational mistake. Using data analytics to HELP build teams, along with cutting edge offensive minded coaches is what we need. Problem is, this owner and many of the fan base are still stuck in decades old “run the ball and stop the run” mentality. Not saying that can’t work, but this franchise has yet to show it’s able to think outside the box.

Think outside the box. Push to be ahead of the curve. You are a young aggressive owner... hire an aggressive young GM, and aggressive young head coach. Not some pansy GM and conservative head coach that doesn’t know how to go for the throat.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of another dark era

CKRGiii
Posts: 6755
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 am

Id hire Ohio st coach and draft his qb... Hope
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii
Posts: 6755
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:01 am

SkinsJock wrote:screw the doubters and screw those that think this is their space and that their viewpoint is the only one that matters

this is a place to come and post your opinions (good or bad) on the Redskins - we have gone from 6-3 to 6-6 and we could end up 4th in the NFC East - I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED

OK - Contrary to what some want you to think or know - I do think this franchise can be successful with Dan Snyder as the owner
Dan Snyder just needs to get rid of Bruce Allen and hire a GM and let him manage the franchise like MOST of the other NFL franchises

I also don't know that we need to get rid of Jay Gruden (although the new GM might want to) - this franchise has to go through a couple of drafts to even begin to be competitive again - why not keep him here and get rid of him later


Not a single person has discounted your opinion brother... But post after post after post after post after post about the same narrative is tiring man! -And I'd bet my bottom dollar that posters quit posting as much due to the lack of wanting to read the same tired dribble.

Your signature states your opinion, and doesn't need to be reiterated in every thread is all.

New thoughtful discussions will intice members to post- the Browns still have a strong fan base- despite being trash for yearssssssss

Because they are loyal and have faith that its gonna turn around. We arent far off.. As you said 6-3.. Crazy amounts of injuries, an aged RB and still in the hunt for the division title! Now losing 2 qbs to broken legs is unheard of, and any team would be hard pressed to overcome sich losses (not to mention all those lost for the year already [Guice, PRich, Lavou, Sherrif, Alex, Colt + TW having surgery, CT out most games, Crowder as well, Dunny hurt, Mosses banged up, Anderson hurt etc etc]) Remeber when Ohno went down a few years back? 2-14 (with the best Oline in the game) or something right?

We have buttfumble at qb and only a week and a half learning the scheme, and are likely screwed- but the team has grown over the years hence the 6-3 start.

Its not over- I'll still root and cheer... And more often likely cuss at rhe refs, but I wont waver or quit.


I'll also save the bitching about the coach, gm, and owner for the offseason- but thats just me.


I appreciate your contributions here, but some times the drum just gets beaten over and over and drounds out any meaningful discussions.

Nothing but love SJ- F the owner and Allen... Now what?
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 3006
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 am

chiefhog44 wrote:I’m not sure the statement that this team will never win when Snyder is owner is true. I think it’s hope that’s keeping people from being engaged. With gruden, you have a middling coach. Those are the results you can expect. With Cousins, he’s a middling QB. Those are the results he gives. Smith is a middling QB, and it was only when he was surrounded by TOP talent, that he was winner. There’s no hope in being average.

I think if Snyder brought in a forward thinking President and GM, who hired a progressive young head coach, I think the fan base would support that. There would be hope. RG3 brought hope and the fans were out full force. But the retread idea is is getting old. The hiring of a coaching staff that has never sniffed success anywhere is an issue. It doesn’t provide any hope. Unfortunately we let McVey walk...and I think that was a HUGE organizational mistake. Using data analytics to HELP build teams, along with cutting edge offensive minded coaches is what we need. Problem is, this owner and many of the fan base are still stuck in decades old “run the ball and stop the run” mentality. Not saying that can’t work, but this franchise has yet to show it’s able to think outside the box.

Think outside the box. Push to be ahead of the curve. You are a young aggressive owner... hire an aggressive young GM, and aggressive young head coach. Not some pansy GM and conservative head coach that doesn’t know how to go for the throat.


The owner is the reason we have a garbage general manager, a middling head coach, the worst stadium and fan experience in the league, no direction and no philosophy. The owner who keeps Bruce Allen around because of his name is not going to do any of the things you suggest. This is the man who refuses to give Colin Kaepernick a job because the league won't like it. This is the man who refused to even consider Eric Reid when his team needed two starting safeties because the league wouldn't like it. This is the same lily white conservative racist owner as all of his predecessors, who will only change if it's his last option to get football in D.C., just as another Redskins owner once did. This owner not only does not learn from history, he repeats it. He managed to drive off the most sought after general manager, one of the most qualified and respected head coaches, and dozens of pro bowl players just so he could keep Bruce Allen happy. He's the reason the team drafted RGIII, who was never an NFL quarterback by any reasonable measure. They mortgaged the future for a QB who can't pass from the pocket. All because that's what Danny and Bruce wanted. Expecting Snyder to change has proven itself an exercise in futility. It's a good old boys club and if your name is Allen you can do no wrong. Not even Joe Gibbs 1.0 and Bobby Beathard could fix the mess that is this team because Dan Snyder wouldn't let them. He can't allow himself to sign the checks and stay out of football operations. Everyone knows it and that is the reason no top level general manager or head coach will touch this team with a ten foot pole.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 3006
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:14 am

SkinsJock wrote:hopefully that helped you ... :roll:


It helped me far more than reading your posts ever has.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

**ch44
Posts: 2445
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:30 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I’m not sure the statement that this team will never win when Snyder is owner is true. I think it’s hope that’s keeping people from being engaged. With gruden, you have a middling coach. Those are the results you can expect. With Cousins, he’s a middling QB. Those are the results he gives. Smith is a middling QB, and it was only when he was surrounded by TOP talent, that he was winner. There’s no hope in being average.

I think if Snyder brought in a forward thinking President and GM, who hired a progressive young head coach, I think the fan base would support that. There would be hope. RG3 brought hope and the fans were out full force. But the retread idea is is getting old. The hiring of a coaching staff that has never sniffed success anywhere is an issue. It doesn’t provide any hope. Unfortunately we let McVey walk...and I think that was a HUGE organizational mistake. Using data analytics to HELP build teams, along with cutting edge offensive minded coaches is what we need. Problem is, this owner and many of the fan base are still stuck in decades old “run the ball and stop the run” mentality. Not saying that can’t work, but this franchise has yet to show it’s able to think outside the box.

Think outside the box. Push to be ahead of the curve. You are a young aggressive owner... hire an aggressive young GM, and aggressive young head coach. Not some pansy GM and conservative head coach that doesn’t know how to go for the throat.


The owner is the reason we have a garbage general manager, a middling head coach, the worst stadium and fan experience in the league, no direction and no philosophy. The owner who keeps Bruce Allen around because of his name is not going to do any of the things you suggest. This is the man who refuses to give Colin Kaepernick a job because the league won't like it. This is the man who refused to even consider Eric Reid when his team needed two starting safeties because the league wouldn't like it. This is the same lily white conservative racist owner as all of his predecessors, who will only change if it's his last option to get football in D.C., just as another Redskins owner once did. This owner not only does not learn from history, he repeats it. He managed to drive off the most sought after general manager, one of the most qualified and respected head coaches, and dozens of pro bowl players just so he could keep Bruce Allen happy. He's the reason the team drafted RGIII, who was never an NFL quarterback by any reasonable measure. They mortgaged the future for a QB who can't pass from the pocket. All because that's what Danny and Bruce wanted. Expecting Snyder to change has proven itself an exercise in futility. It's a good old boys club and if your name is Allen you can do no wrong. Not even Joe Gibbs 1.0 and Bobby Beathard could fix the mess that is this team because Dan Snyder wouldn't let them. He can't allow himself to sign the checks and stay out of football operations. Everyone knows it and that is the reason no top level general manager or head coach will touch this team with a ten foot pole.


I’ll save my opinion for after this next move. He learned what not to do with Cerrato. Hopefully he learns what not to do from Bruce Allen. If not, there’s no hope. Because he’ll never sell this team. Well that blows.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of another dark era

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 9036
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 am

chiefhog44 wrote:I’ll save my opinion for after this next move. He learned what not to do with Cerrato. Hopefully he learns what not to do from Bruce Allen. If not, there’s no hope. Because he’ll never sell this team. Well that blows.


Exactly. For a long time the problem has been that he could get away with his nonsense, because Redskins fans have been so loyal. But the situation at Fedex right now is as bad as its ever been, downright embarrassing, and it has to be affecting his bottom line $$. (Four games left in the season, not out of the playoff hunt and they are damn near giving away tix to those last two games.)

I've seen some smart posters on here say for a number of years that was the only way to get to Snyder. I doubt fans could force him to sell the team, but I do think by not showing up we can force him to change his behavior.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 9036
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:The excessive amount of injuries kills me tho- the last 2 years have been nothing short of devastating in that respect. Not sure if its the strength and conditioning team, a curse, the turf, bad luck, or otherwise... But its disheartening nonetheless, and drives me away from not just the board- but the NFL in general.


I think its just one of those things. Bad luck. Strikes me as ridiculous to suggest otherwise. But you're right that its disheartening as hell, starting with Guice before the season even started!!!

If I'm not crazy, I think I read that the Skins have the most injuries in the entire league. Second year in a row. Something like 17 IR players on the offense alone and that doesn't even include Colt. How nuts is that?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 12012
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:34 am

I'm enjoying seeing the long-timers post in this thread.

I share many, if not most, of the thoughts and sentiments expressed in this thread regarding the team and its management. Back in 2004 when this board was new, we all knew Snyder was not a force for good, but we hoped for growth and maturation — and everyone thought perhaps we were seeing it with the hiring of Joe Gibbs.

I held out hope as long as I possibly could, well past the point of rational thought, that maybe Dan Snyder would develop as a person and owner into someone who could do the right thing as a rule and lead the franchise to success. I'm not sure when I entirely let go of the idea, but I think it was not too long after Robert Griffin's knee gave out on the tattered pit Snyder had painted green and called a field. I've since watched this franchise, its decisions and performance, with increasing detachment.

In the meantime, it became difficult for me to ignore the problem with violence and player safety in the league. There has been progress on this front, but the way the NFL is handing it, as usual, is to pile on more rules and complexity — which leads to farcical outcomes in some cases (such as this year's 'body weight' controversy). I'm glad they are doing what they can to eliminate head-to-head hits, but I would much prefer that the league simplify rules to create new emphases instead of bolting on ad-hoc adjustments and tweaks to a fundamentally broken system. Rethink, rework, rewrite. But I digress.

Now, I could probably put up with this tension if the NFL's product on the field, and on TV, wasn't so poor and seemingly getting worse. The things I've always hated: stoppages, commercials, endless replays on loop to figure out if X happened before Y, the clock running after a player goes out of bounds, breaks between scores, flags on a quarter of the plays, watching coaches' reactions, catching drama on the sidelines and other 'side plots', games hinging on a bad penalty call . . . it never gets better, and usually gets more aggravating every year.

It's almost as if every adjustment they make to the gameday experience is designed to minimize the time spent playing the game, or at least to get that part over with as efficiently as possible, and to maximize the network's value-added entertainment and, of course, commercials. I resent that I have to 'pay' to watch by giving the network an equal or greater amount of my time and attention on the bull$#@% instead of the game. (Why can't I have a viewing experience like I get when I watch soccer and rugby?) It's all becoming too irritating to put up with, especially when I'm not fanatical about the team playing.

This is the first year I've accidentally missed entire quarters of a Skins game because I was busy with something else and forgot they were playing. I've even skipped a couple of entire games, and I don't regret it. I wouldn't have believed you in 2004 if you told me that's where I'd be in 2018.

As for this board, well, I think as a technology it fit a great niche a decade ago but has less of a place in today's Internet. And that's OK. What Mark built was amazing for its time, and for many years we had the best place on the web to talk about the Skins. I've met several board members in real life, which has been a privilege, and have become true friends with a couple of you, which is an even greater privilege. It was a home for fans before social media existed, a place to talk not just football but life. THN was special.

I wish I had more to contribute to this community, but the truth is my perspective on this team and the game itself has changed and it's just not as relevant in my life. I have very little to say about this team, except those words I still sing every time I watch them: Hail to the Redskins! Despite the pessimism I shared above, I still believe I'll hang on as a fan long enough to see better days.
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

Hog
Posts: 1975
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby grampi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:30 pm

What do you expect. This team has gone from a once great and proud team, to the laughing stock of the league...and it's all because of Danny Boy...if the team had stayed in the Kent Cooke family, they'd probably be still winning...

08 Champ
Posts: 18257
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England - Red Sox & Patriots - how great is that

Re: Major fall off in participation in here

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:38 pm

riggofan wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I’ll save my opinion for after this next move. He learned what not to do with Cerrato. Hopefully he learns what not to do from Bruce Allen. If not, there’s no hope. Because he’ll never sell this team. Well that blows.

Exactly. For a long time the problem has been that he could get away with his nonsense, because Redskins fans have been so loyal. But the situation at Fedex right now is as bad as its ever been, downright embarrassing, and it has to be affecting his bottom line $$. (Four games left in the season, not out of the playoff hunt and they are damn near giving away tix to those last two games.)

I've seen some smart posters on here say for a number of years that was the only way to get to Snyder. I doubt fans could force him to sell the team, but I do think by not showing up we can force him to change his behavior.

we can hope - unfortunately, I don't think Snyder is as bothered by the lack of interest + the attendance drop as much as some might think & hope - I do think that it bothers the NFL a great deal and they might take action
This franchise is not getting better with the current people in charge - we need to do everything differently - the NFL has evolved and we're not adapting to what is working in today's NFL

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football