Possible QB options for 2019?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Possible QB options for 2019?

Postby El Mexican » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Teddy B? He won a single playoff game with a stacked Minnesota team. That's it.

I'd rather roll the dice in the draft.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 pm

what makes you think that these 2 bozos are going to finally make a good decision ... especially about the QB :lol:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 am

SkinsJock wrote:what makes you think that these 2 bozos are going to finally make a good decision ... especially about the QB :lol:

I'm not here to discuss whether "these 2 bozos" will make a good decision or not. I'm interested to hear what other fans think the team SHOULD do.

There are at least a dozen realistic possible scenarios regarding the QB this offseason. One of those choices can be a "good decision" regardless of who is making it.

I'll be honest I'd really like to see the team take a swing at drafting a QB at #15 this year and do it without any crazy trades to move up. Maybe the kid from Duke? Get rid of Lauvao. Draft a guard in the second or third round. Spencer Long is back on the street, maybe bring him back in. Its all a crap shoot I know, but at least I'd be interested to see that kid play. Another year of the next journeyman QB... meh.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

riggofan wrote:I'm not here to discuss whether "these 2 bozos" will make a good decision or not. I'm interested to hear what other fans think the team SHOULD do.

There are at least a dozen realistic possible scenarios regarding the QB this offseason. One of those choices can be a "good decision" regardless of who is making it.

I'll be honest I'd really like to see the team take a swing at drafting a QB at #15 this year and do it without any crazy trades to move up. Maybe the kid from Duke? Get rid of Lauvao. Draft a guard in the second or third round. Spencer Long is back on the street, maybe bring him back in. Its all a crap shoot I know, but at least I'd be interested to see that kid play. Another year of the next journeyman QB... meh.

I think the team should stop signing castoff quarterbacks from other teams. It's been a failed strategy for a long time now. Where we might disagree is in that I think if you find a kid who has an NFL arm and can pass from the pocket you might consider moving up to get him. This draft is pretty bad and this team won't tank for a top pick in the 2020 draft. Lavao should have been cut three years ago. To me that's a "no-brainer." There are dozens of guards looking for work every year. Lauvao is about the worst option of all of them. The two or three games where he's healthy don't balance the twelve where he's playing injured or unable to play.

But I'm with you on the journeyman QB thing. I'd rather watch flies *f$ck* than go through another year of 7-9 B.S. that is just good enough to get a lousy draft pick and nowhere close to being good enough to be competitive.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:I think the team should stop signing castoff quarterbacks from other teams. It's been a failed strategy for a long time now. Where we might disagree is in that I think if you find a kid who has an NFL arm and can pass from the pocket you might consider moving up to get him.

Yeah I'm not completely opposed to trading up if its the trade is reasonable. Drafting at #15 isn't a huge jump to move up and there are some teams ahead who don't need QBs that could afford to move down a few spots and pick up an extra pick.

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Lauvao is about the worst option of all of them. The two or three games where he's healthy don't balance the twelve where he's playing injured or unable to play.

You'd think he would be REALLY good or REALLY reliable to have stuck around here this long, especially as a starter. But he's been neither!

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:But I'm with you on the journeyman QB thing. I'd rather watch flies *f$ck* than go through another year of 7-9 B.S. that is just good enough to get a lousy draft pick and nowhere close to being good enough to be competitive.

I feel like it would give me a legit reason to be interested next year. A first round QB plus Guice returning, I'd be curious to see that. Drafting the top corner this year at the 15 pick might be the prudent move but I don't see it moving the needle much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm

I think the team should stop signing castoff quarterbacks from other teams. It's been a failed strategy for a long time now

This is absolutely key in understanding why this team has taken a nose dive.
Besides, bringing in QBs from other teams alienates the fan base.

We've seen this time and time again since the Jeff George days.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:what makes you think that these 2 bozos are going to finally make a good decision ... especially about the QB :lol:
I'm not here to discuss whether "these 2 bozos" will make a good decision or not. I'm interested to hear what other fans think the team SHOULD do. There are at least a dozen realistic possible scenarios regarding the QB this offseason. One of those choices can be a "good decision" regardless of who is making it.

I'm not interested in much discussion about the decisions that these 2 bozos make either - even when they make good decisions the franchise is still not getting any better with them in charge PLUS the ideas from some here make a lot more sense than what will actually be done the next few months

I hope that we don't trade up or just draft a QB because we badly need one - we just need to keep adding good young players and PRAY [-o< that Snyder will eventually put the franchise in someone else's hands

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 am

Maybe admins can start a FRONT OFFICE forum where those of us interested in complaining about Dan and Bruce can hang out.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:55 am

riggofan wrote:Maybe admins can start a FRONT OFFICE forum where those of us interested in complaining about Dan and Bruce can hang out.

That would be one of us. The rest of us hav long since grown tired of bitching about things that aren't going to change.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:32 pm

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:I think the team should stop signing castoff quarterbacks from other teams. It's been a failed strategy for a long time now. Where we might disagree is in that I think if you find a kid who has an NFL arm and can pass from the pocket you might consider moving up to get him.

Yeah I'm not completely opposed to trading up if its the trade is reasonable. Drafting at #15 isn't a huge jump to move up and there are some teams ahead who don't need QBs that could afford to move down a few spots and pick up an extra pick.
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:But I'm with you on the journeyman QB thing. I'd rather watch flies *f$ck* than go through another year of 7-9 B.S. that is just good enough to get a lousy draft pick and nowhere close to being good enough to be competitive.

I feel like it would give me a legit reason to be interested next year. A first round QB plus Guice returning, I'd be curious to see that. Drafting the top corner this year at the 15 pick might be the prudent move but I don't see it moving the needle much.
sounds like someone thinks that Bruce maybe right ... :lol:

hopefully we don't trade any picks - we just need to add the best player available and if we do make any trades it should involve trying to get as many picks as possible - we're looking at maybe 7 wins this coming season no matter who is our QB

this franchise needs a MAJOR culture change - our only hope is that we have a bunch of good players available when Snyder sees that doing things the way that we've been doing them is going to result in 7 - 9 wins no matter who is on the roster or coaching here

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 am

I want to talk about what moves the Redskins should make, but not about what Snyder-Allen will do.

- The team ought to draft the best players available, continuing to build up talent.

- Biggest needs? Aside from the obvious ("everywhere"), the Redskins have not had receivers for the last two seasons. Worst WR's in football, and the only TE, Vernon Davis, is playing beyond retirement age. Having missed trades for Amari Cooper and Golden Tate, who might be available?

- Is it worth trading for receivers for 2019? Get a place-holder QB, such as a career backup, and let him share time with Colt McCoy.

- Pay off Alex Smith now, and have money for 2020. Why live out 2019 on the hope that Smith will play again?

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:32 pm

welch wrote:I want to talk about what moves the Redskins should make, but not about what Snyder-Allen will do.

- The team ought to draft the best players available, continuing to build up talent.

- Biggest needs? Aside from the obvious ("everywhere"), the Redskins have not had receivers for the last two seasons. Worst WR's in football, and the only TE, Vernon Davis, is playing beyond retirement age. Having missed trades for Amari Cooper and Golden Tate, who might be available?

- Is it worth trading for receivers for 2019? Get a place-holder QB, such as a career backup, and let him share time with Colt McCoy.

- Pay off Alex Smith now, and have money for 2020. Why live out 2019 on the hope that Smith will play again?

Antonio Brown is undoubtedly available but he's 29 and expensive. The free agency market has a dearth of quality receivers. It has a ton of high risk, high reward types. I'd argue that of all the moves the team has made bringing in Jackson and Garcon a few years back were among the smartest. I don;t see why they couldn't do that again with some younger versions. Golden Tate is 31 now. Dez Bryant is 30. John Brown is 29. None of those guys are the future of anything. Someone like an Adam Humphries might make sense at the right price. He caught something like 75 passes in Tampa last year.

No, it is not worth trading for receivers next year. Learn how to draft them.

Yes, pay off Alex Smith. The odds are he's done. His salary is killing their cap.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 pm

This team has a terrible record selecting WRs in the high rounds of the draft. At least for the last 20+ years.

It all starts with the QB. Play the numbers and hope you draft another Cousins out of luck. Once that's done, assemble his crew.

Don't know if I can stand another season of junkyard QBs.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Because of the issues we have, the sensible thing would be to look ahead - we do need a QB but we don't need to just go get a QB

This draft and this season needs to be used to make sure we have a good bunch of young players to build around so that we can start to put a more competitive unit together in 2020

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:41 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Because of the issues we have, the sensible thing would be to look ahead - we do need a QB but we don't need to just go get a QB

This draft and this season needs to be used to make sure we have a good bunch of young players to build around so that we can start to put a more competitive unit together in 2020

So you're saying we go against the strategy used by countless teams for the last three decades?

Shanny was right on this one: it's a QB centric league. One good QB is not enough. You need at least two.

We have none.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football