Possible QB options for 2019?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Possible QB options for 2019?

Postby riggofan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:That's why part of me keeps thinking they should address other needs in this draft and worry about a QB in the next one. You're not going to get Nick Saban to leave Alabama by telling him he has to use your QB to develop his offense. You're going to get a guy no other team would give a shot. Every time the Skins do that disaster strikes.

It just depends on the QB. McVay didn't go to L.A. and get to draft his starting quarterback. The Rams had a highly drafted, underperforming first round pick in place for him already.

Gotta bite the bullet and draft a QB sooner or later. I do agree with your larger point though that if there's not a guy that they really believe in, then load up this draft on edge rusher, TE, WR and guard early and shore up those positions ahead of 2020.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:02 am

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:That's why part of me keeps thinking they should address other needs in this draft and worry about a QB in the next one. You're not going to get Nick Saban to leave Alabama by telling him he has to use your QB to develop his offense. You're going to get a guy no other team would give a shot. Every time the Skins do that disaster strikes.

It just depends on the QB. McVay didn't go to L.A. and get to draft his starting quarterback. The Rams had a highly drafted, underperforming first round pick in place for him already.

Gotta bite the bullet and draft a QB sooner or later. I do agree with your larger point though that if there's not a guy that they really believe in, then load up this draft on edge rusher, TE, WR and guard early and shore up those positions ahead of 2020.

The Rams also had a bit of talent elsewhere and a number of good draft picks. That was a better situation into which to step than would be the 2020 Washington Redskins. The Redskins also haven't drafted a "franchise" QB since Sammy Baugh. The best QBs they've ever had (aside from Baugh) all came by trade. That part of me says they should make the trade. Being a fan of this team is frustrating. The "right" move is never obvious.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:The Rams also had a bit of talent elsewhere and a number of good draft picks. That was a better situation into which to step than would be the 2020 Washington Redskins. The Redskins also haven't drafted a "franchise" QB since Sammy Baugh. The best QBs they've ever had (aside from Baugh) all came by trade. That part of me says they should make the trade.

All true, no doubt. Just saying having a good young QB in place doesn't have to be a negative if a new coach is coming in soon.

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Being a fan of this team is frustrating. The "right" move is never obvious.

Not to mention they have a real talent for turning the right move into a an epic disaster. :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:56 pm

riggofan wrote:All true, no doubt. Just saying having a good young QB in place doesn't have to be a negative if a new coach is coming in soon.

Not to mention they have a real talent for turning the right move into a an epic disaster. :D

Yea, I'm just not justifying in my head bringing in a guy to learn a 2nd system this season and a 3rd system next season. I think it will screw him up. You can't develop a QB by changing the system on him every year. But the same thing could happen to any other QB, Gruden's system this season and someone else's system next season. One thing that would go a long way toward not turning the right moves into an epic disaster would be for certain people to stay out of those decisions. If nothing else they should know now to leave the QB evaluations to people who have played the position.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:51 pm

The Redskins also haven't drafted a "franchise" QB since Sammy Baugh. The best QBs they've ever had (aside from Baugh) all came by trade.

They certainly tried...and failed:

Shuler
Ramsey
JC
RGIII

swine

Postby Sonny9TD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 am

After watching tape i have come to a conclusion on which QB we should get. Josh Rosen would be great but of all the other QBs in the draft one is heads and shoulders above the rest I would be fine in trading up to get him . Drew Lock. Drew Lock has an incredible arm. He can throw a 35 yard out with smoking zip on it. I mean following the same path from throw to catch. No rainbow. He can scramble and throw too. I want lLock or Rosen or wait until next year. Lock is a rare talent. I watched all his tape and I'm sold. Forget Haskins and Jones. Big mistake if we take one of them. Lock is a Lock. If not Lock then Rosen or get Burns Hockenson or Jonah Williams with the 15th pick and roll with Colt McCoy.

If Will Grier had a better arm i would be all for getting him. He has everything you need except strength of arm. He would work if you had incredible route runners and Offensive Line and a running game. Lock can throw his way out of trouble no matter what. This is sort of a stretch but a Drew Lock arm on Will Grier would be a must have. Drew Lock is close to will Grier with accuracy and intangibles. But Drew Lock is the best QB we can hope to get next to Rosen. Or maybe even better than Rosen. It's a toss up.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:50 am

Sonny9TD wrote:After watching tape i have come to a conclusion on which QB we should get. Josh Rosen would be great but of all the other QBs in the draft one is heads and shoulders above the rest I would be fine in trading up to get him . Drew Lock. Drew Lock has an incredible arm. He can throw a 35 yard out with smoking zip on it. I mean following the same path from throw to catch. No rainbow. He can scramble and throw too. I want lLock or Rosen or wait until next year. Lock is a rare talent. I watched all his tape and I'm sold. Forget Haskins and Jones. Big mistake if we take one of them. Lock is a Lock. If not Lock then Rosen or get Burns Hockenson or Jonah Williams with the 15th pick and roll with Colt McCoy.

If Will Grier had a better arm i would be all for getting him. He has everything you need except strength of arm. He would work if you had incredible route runners and Offensive Line and a running game. Lock can throw his way out of trouble no matter what. This is sort of a stretch but a Drew Lock arm on Will Grier would be a must have. Drew Lock is close to will Grier with accuracy and intangibles. But Drew Lock is the best QB we can hope to get next to Rosen. Or maybe even better than Rosen. It's a toss up.

That's why I keep asking why they would trade for Rosen if Lock is still on the board. Lock has the only real NFL arm in this draft class.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Yea, I'm just not justifying in my head bringing in a guy to learn a 2nd system this season and a 3rd system next season. I think it will screw him up. You can't develop a QB by changing the system on him every year.

Definitely. Doesn't it depend on what coach you brought in though? i.e. If (and I realize this is a huge IF) you brought in a defensive guy like Saban, isn't it possible that you could just keep your current OC? I mean, they just promoted Kevin O'Connell to offensive coordinator and moved Cavanaugh around to make it happen. Presumably because they wanted to keep one or both of those guys.

Again I hate to give them any potential credit for thinking ahead, but could be possible.

swine

Postby Sonny9TD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:
Sonny9TD wrote:After watching tape i have come to a conclusion on which QB we should get. Josh Rosen would be great but of all the other QBs in the draft one is heads and shoulders above the rest I would be fine in trading up to get him . Drew Lock. Drew Lock has an incredible arm. He can throw a 35 yard out with smoking zip on it. I mean following the same path from throw to catch. No rainbow. He can scramble and throw too. I want lLock or Rosen or wait until next year. Lock is a rare talent. I watched all his tape and I'm sold. Forget Haskins and Jones. Big mistake if we take one of them. Lock is a Lock. If not Lock then Rosen or get Burns Hockenson or Jonah Williams with the 15th pick and roll with Colt McCoy.

That's why I keep asking why they would trade for Rosen if Lock is still on the board. Lock has the only real NFL arm in this draft class.

I'm pretty sure he isn't there at 15. We are going to have to trade up and get him. The Bengals or the Dolphins, Giants , or the Broncos are going to call his name first. If we want Lock we are going to have to trade up to the 9 spot to get him for sure. That's if the Giants don't get him at 6 or the Raiders at 4. Lock is definitely not getting past the Dolphins. We need to get to the 9 spot to make sure the Bengals don't get him first. But after it is all said and done if we want the best QB it's going to cost us a first rounder no matter what. Or keep half assing and get a QB later in the draft.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 am

Sonny9TD wrote:I'm pretty sure he isn't there at 15. We are going to have to trade up and get him. The Bengals or the Dolphins, Giants , or the Broncos are going to call his name first. If we want Lock we are going to have to trade up to the 9 spot to get him for sure. That's if the Giants don't get him at 6 or the Raiders at 4. Lock is definitely not getting past the Dolphins. We need to get to the 9 spot to make sure the Bengals don't get him first. But after it is all said and done if we want the best QB it's going to cost us a first rounder no matter what. Or keep half assing and get a QB later in the draft.

That's what I keep saying about DK Metcalf. No way he's there at #15. But someone has to slide. If I'm the Redskins I hold onto that #15 pick until I know who is on or off the board.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:52 pm

riggofan wrote:Not to mention they have a real talent for turning the right move into a an epic disaster. :D
you got that right

the right move is to not make a trade ... for Josh Rosen OR trade up in the draft

so they'll probably make a trade and when it doesn't work out just point out that we would have done a lot better if (insert any number of excuses) had not happened :lol:

what a joke
I'd love to see the Redskins become a respectable franchise again and consistently contend for the playoffs - that is not happening under Snyder and Allen
Snyder's W/L record = 80-96 - 45% Snyder & Allen = 59-84-1 - 41%

swine

Postby Sonny9TD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:Not to mention they have a real talent for turning the right move into a an epic disaster. :D
you got that right

the right move is to not make a trade ... for Josh Rosen OR trade up in the draft

so they'll probably make a trade and when it doesn't work out just point out that we would have done a lot better if (insert any number of excuses) had not happened :lol:

what a joke

Yea we can keep getting *sh$t* QBs as we struggle to score 17 points a game or we can make a trade and get a QB with some talent this century at some time. This group isn't good enough to find a gem of a QB late in the draft. Either do what it takes and make a trade or draft one early or keep this circus as it has been forever it seems

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm

let's not make things worse - we don't have wiz kids in control here so we just need to keep adding as many good players as we can and hope that we eventually get some people in here that can re-build this franchise - that is just not happening by continuing to do what we've been doing and making bad decisions

everyone agrees that we need a good QB but we might get one anyway at #15 and if we don't get one in this draft there's a really good chance we can get one in the next because we'll likely have a pretty high draft pick and we can bring in a good young QB and get him ready to play under the guidance of the new HC that we're most likely getting as well

thinking that we're just a good QB away from having a playoff team this season is the kind of thinking that got us in this mess in the first place
I'd love to see the Redskins become a respectable franchise again and consistently contend for the playoffs - that is not happening under Snyder and Allen
Snyder's W/L record = 80-96 - 45% Snyder & Allen = 59-84-1 - 41%

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote:thinking that we're just a good QB away from having a playoff team this season is the kind of thinking that got us in this mess in the first place

Your straw man arguments are so tiresome. Nobody is arguing that we're "just a good QB away from a playoff team this season".

The point you're trying to make here is even worse because we literally were a good QB away from the playoffs last year. In a weak ass NFC east last year, we had a legitimate shot at making the playoffs before Alex Smith's injury.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 pm

riggofan wrote:Your straw man arguments are so tiresome.

I approve of this message. It gets incredibly tiresome reading someone whose only "contribution" to the discussion is talking out his ass.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football