Bruce, You Will Be Missed... Not!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Bruce, You Will Be Missed... Not!

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:33 pm

Smith Plans to Retire At End Of Season 12/10/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com

Bruce Smith said Wednesday that he intends to retire at the end of the season, ending a 19-year career that will certainly earn him a place in the Hall of Fame.

“More than likely, these will be the final three games of my career,” Smith said. “It’s been a long ride and a long haul. But I’m not going to focus on that too much right now. We have a ball game [against Dallas] to prepare for this weekend.”

Smith recorded his 199th career sack in a game against the New York Giants last Sunday, breaking the NFL record held by Reggie White.

Smith signed with the Redskins prior to the 2000 season. He joined a team that had signed several high-profile free agents to upgrade a defense that been ranked in the bottom half of the league in 1999.

“I made a decision to come here based on what the team had done in previous years and I felt that I could be an impact player in helping this team attain some of its goals,” Smith said. “I think we achieved some of those goals. We brought the defense to a top five ranking [in 2000]. The following year we were ranked tenth and then last year under Marvin Lewis we were ranked fifth.

“That was a goal as well. I wanted to help improve this defense. That goal was attained. But the fact that we didn’t make the playoffs once and possibly win a Super Bowl—that was slightly disappointing. Nothing takes the place of winning a Super Bowl. This is a team-oriented game.”

This season, Smith has served in a part-time role, alternating at right defensive end with Regan Upshaw and coming in mostly on pass-rush downs.

“With this more than likely being my last season, I’d like to [play as much as possible],” he said. “I think when the right situations come about and the calls are made, and the call is made for me to be in the game, I’ll give it 100 percent each and every game.”

Smith’s place in NFL history is assured. The first overall pick of the 1985 NFL Draft out of Virginia Tech, Smith was a dominant defensive end for Buffalo from 1985 through 1999 and helped lead the Bills to four consecutive Super Bowl appearances in the early 1990s. Smith’s best season may have been 1990, when he registered 19 sacks, 101 tackles and four forced fumbles.

The 11-time Pro Bowler also owns NFL records for most double-digit sack seasons (13) and playoff sacks (14.5). He has sacked 74 different quarterbacks, with New York Giants QB Jesse Palmer added to the list last Sunday in the Redskins’ 20-7 victory. Related story: Smith discusses his record-breaking sack after last Sunday's game.

Prior to the Redskins’ final game of the season, a nationally televised Saturday night contest against the Philadelphia Eagles, Smith will be honored in a special ceremony at FedExField.

RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby redskincity » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:49 pm

Maybe we get Sapp :!: :D
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:08 pm

I am really pleased with the retirement news. Ole Bruce really sucks and I wish we would have never signed him.

Can't say that I want that loud mouth Sapp either!!!!
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:22 pm

We won't get Sapp, plus he's not an end and is way too out of shape to play up to "Bruce's" caliber at end. :? I don't want Sapp and the team is getting away from the controversial signings.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:14 pm

To be honest... I like the way Snyder went about it this year with younger proven players - frankly I would rather do that again than the draft - all four have proven to be good pick ups...

If a team isn't willing to extend the kind of contract they should to protect a very good player - why not snag them?

I still say we are starting to see the upswing and this is just the bottom of the 2000 spend fest. A lot of our cap heaviness comes from the dead cap bonus money, including and especially Stephen "I want 11 mil but I will sign for 1 mil with Carolina" Davis money to the tune of 6 mil. A lot of our cap space trouble comes from dead space - look under Team Info on the home page and the salary cap table... over 12 million in dead cap money - once this comes off and the cap climbs as it usually does - we won't be as bad off as most think, I hope.

Snyder learned this time and went and got guys who can play and produce for years. Even the Trung move wasn't a bad one from the aspect of his potential upside. I can't think of a bad pickup from free agency money wise, aside from Brandon Noble, and that only due to the friggin accident that happened to his knee.

Next year, I expect we will see some of the cap money coming off, and a couple of good DTs come into camp along with some secondary help. We have weapons on the offense once things get ironed out and PRam gets it into his head that he can throw the ball with less space than in college.

I don't expect to see Sapp due to people like Smith, George, Sanders et al that came in on the downslope of the rainbow and cost us so badly.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby skins75 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:19 am

I agree Rich. I like the way Snyder picked up players in the prime of their careers. I think that DS learned a valuable lesson with the 2000 Free Agent debacle. I also was a little impressed with Champ Baileys comments regarding Spurrier returning for next years season. He was actually saying the word "we" when speaking of next year. Who knows what the future may bring but I say lets keep on moving in the right direction and KILL DALLAS this weekend.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football