Spurrier to quit?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Spurrier to quit?

Postby BossHog » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:58 pm

The latest in what is becoming the Spurrier saga is that he is thinking about quitting. From ESPN:

Steve Spurrier apparently is contemplating his resignation from the Washington Redskins after talking it over with his wife, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Saturday.

Team sources told Mortensen that Spurrier has discussed the Redskins situation with his wife, Jerri, and that both agreed that they are unhappy and don't feel they should have to continue to live that way.

Click here for the rest of the story.

Mortensen's famous 'sources' again... I'm beginning to think the guy just digs writing about SOS. I'm not saying that the story is unbelievable, I just wonder if the same sources that leaked the miami story last week.

I'm sure if SOS quit, Snyder would be off the hook for the 15 million and that should be good for everyone. Well except that we're back to absolute square one with a team built around a system that has yet to work at all in the NFL.

:-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:23 pm

i think tom coughlin would add some much needed discipline to this team. and he would kinda serve as his own gm as well.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:49 pm

I like Coughlin, but is this particular team ready for a disciplinarian?

We need it, but there will be huge fallout from a dictator coming in.

As I said... I don't lend the story any more or less creedence than anything else I read... but hey you throw it all against the wall and let people decide for themselves what it all means right?

I can certainly understand Spurrier being unhappy, but what 5-10 coach isn't? Question is... is he a quitter?

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:06 pm

Maybe my Christmas wish will come true afterall! :)
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:54 am

I hope he leaves, I hope Cowher can get in here according to Wilbon.

---------

Postby redskins56 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:11 am

Tom Coughlin is more than likely going to head to New York new coach big blue. He has practically allready packed his bags for the big apple, and he has already met with some of the Giants' front office members...

I would highly doubt that he would come to D.C though, because like most good coaches, he craves power. The problem is, if Spurrier is to quit, or be fired, the Skins have no where to go... No proven winner wants to coach under Snyder, because they have no voice, and they can be underminded by a greedy owner...

If we are to hire a new coach this offseason, it will either be a current successful coordinator looking for their first job, or a college coach (Stoops, Sabin.. someone like that looking to make the jump)... No proven winner will coach for him unless he changes his ways, and there is no sign of that happening...

The top list of available coaches with winning experience features Dennis Green and Jimmy Johnson, both out of the game, and both love power...

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:31 am

Yeah, there ain't a whole lot of options.

... and if Spurrier WERE to quit, it's just going to send up that much bigger a smoke signal to the rest of the league as to what a tough situation the coaching carousel in Washington has become.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:23 pm

I think one big thing is being overlooked and that the big dollars Snyder is willing to dish out. Many of these "winning" coaches would take a chance of DS for the big $$$!

Hell, look at the chance stinky Tuna took with JJ.....and the $$$ weren't as good as they could have been in say.....Washington. DS needs to cut the cord and send Vinny packing...that would attract many.
We'll miss you, Joe.

Postby ryan56 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:33 pm

i heard after the game on fox sports net that if sos quits its in his contract that he cant coach anywhere else in the college or pro game ever again... i dont know if you guys heard that before, thats pretty harsh though if its true

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:47 pm

i doubt that would be forever, but i could see it being for the remaining length of the contract(3 more years)
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:36 am

I like how Howey described it on FoxSports pregame as "the biggest game of chicken he'd ever seen"....Snyder doesn't want to fire SOS, but doesn't want him back, SOS doesn't want to quit, but doesn't want to be back....it's all about the money! Hopefully they'll compromise like Jones/Johnson did and SOS will be gone sooner rather than later.
We'll miss you, Joe.

Diesel

Irreconcilable Differences

Postby DEHog » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:06 am

How hard is this, married couples do it all the time (unfortunately) Just claim Irreconcilable Differences you don't need to explain anything to the media. They both want each other out but as I have said a number of times DS is on trial here, he does not want to look like the bad guy here. As for SS it about success in the NFL, which he isn't having. His system will never have it, by his own admittance SS has sad he needs to make changes to his system, so what he is admitting is his system as it stands now doesn't work. Count me in the few who believes SS will be a winner in the NFL just not with the Skins and DS. Also he will be gone be the end of next week...everything I have read, he talk about the Skins not us or we??? Gotta question a coach who doesn't tell the organization I'm here til u fire me...sad DS runs out another would-be coach
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

swine

Postby skinsNut » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:10 am

Posturing on both sides...

DS wants SOS to quit... SOS wants DS to fire him.

Who's gonna flinch first?
Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football