Skins Make Roster Additions!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Skins Make Roster Additions!

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:00 pm

Redskins Start Year With Roster Additions
01/05/2004

The Redskins began 2004 by adding nine players to the team’s roster, including four players who finished last season on the team’s practice squad. The roster additions are:

Nic Clemons, DE, Georgia

Scott Cloman, WR, Southern

Sean Dillard, WR, Temple

Dwain Goynes, WR, Texas A&M

Cedric Killings, DT, Carson-Newman

Reggie McGrew, DT, Florida

Ben Nowland, C, Auburn

Mike Sellers, FB, Walla Walla CC

Greg White, DE, Minnesota
McGrew is a former first-round draft pick (24th overall) by San Francisco in 1999 and has had limited action in his career with the 49ers, Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars. McGrew has recorded 10 tackles and one sack in 25 regular-season games. His career has been slowed by injuries; he spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve with a torn triceps.

Sellers is a former Redskin who played for Washington from 1998-2000 and Cleveland in 2001. In his NFL career, he recorded 25 receptions for 274 yards and six touchdowns. Last year, Sellers played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League and rushed 86 times for 427 yards and seven touchdowns. He also caught 48 passes for 481 yards and two touchdowns.

Killings is a fifth-year pro who has had limited action with the Minnesota Vikings, Carolina Panthers and San Francisco 49ers in his career. He showed promise in his rookie year, starting one game and for the season registering 18 tackles and three sacks. In Minnesota, he has been on the team's game day inactive list most of the last two seasons.

Dillard is an undrafted rookie who spent time in the Redskins’ 2003 training camp last summer but was among the team’s pre-season roster cuts. Dillard finished his collegiate career at Temple as the school’s all-time reception leader with 130 and sixth in receiving yards with 1,632.

Goynes is a speedster out of Texas A&M who alternated between wide receiver and running back in college. He was switched to tailback his senior year in 2002 and rushed 30 times for 97 yards. Goynes initially worked out for Redskin officials last October but was not signed at that time.

Clemons, Cloman, Nowland and White were members of the Redskins’ practice squad last season.

RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:05 am

I stated in a previous post that Sellers didn't really impress even in the CFL...

Really happy to see Cloman back... he was a tough cut last year. Having said that, he only makes McCants that little bit more expendable. Cloman is a big receiver and of the same mold that Darnerien is. I don't even wanna talk about that... if we don't re-sign DM, then we can't evaluate talent. This guy needs to get MORE playing time, not dumped.

Dillard will still be too small I would imagine.

We already have Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, and Russell under contract. How many WRs will a non Fun 'N Gun coach carry... probably not 6 like SOS did. And DM better get one of them. Any coach will be happy with a trifecta of McCants, Coles and Gardner. So Cloman, Dillard and Goynes will be lucky to be fighting for one spot and probably on the practice squad at that. Cloman is also Renaldo Wynn's cousin I believe.

If Greg White couldn't crack the 2003 lineup at DE, then I pray to the football gods that he ain't good enough next year either. If he is... we haven't fixed our biggest problem.

Nowland might be useful since Larry Moore and Lennie Friedman are both due to be free agents.

I asked my Vikes buddy about Killings and his answer was pretty self explanatory... not last year, but the year before... the Vikings would have given ANYTHING to have a usable DT... and Killings wasn't it.

I don't know much about McGrew but I'll go out on a limb and say that a first round pick that still isn't playing probably isn't going to solve any problems either.

These guys are mostly just bodies... fodder for training camp 2004... nothing more.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:31 am

We gave McGrew a tryout in 2003 at a Jacksonville High School during the week we played the Jags. Johnny Mitchell somehow found out and got a tryout that night, too.

Cloman was on our practice squad all year. I'm surprised nobody tried to pick him or Clifton Smith up during the year.

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm

We do this at the beginning of every year to fill up roster space for training camp. We will do more w/ free agency and when NFL Europe finishes.

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:51 pm

meat for the grinder :)
Rich in Roanoke

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:51 pm

:up: Oh yeah baby!! I would give one of my man berries to be a Oklahoma Drill just one more time! Oh hell yeah, I might tackle my wife just for the sheen hell of it. You have me jacked up now, I might have to shoulder block a car or maybe the wall.....(*,)

:shock: wow, I have to lay off the stimulants this late at night.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football