Joe Gibbs to return to Redskins in "some capacity"

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---------

Joe Gibbs to return to Redskins in "some capacity"

Postby redskins56 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:34 pm

I sat at home watching the television tonight, as George Michaels, Rene Knott, and Frank Herzog all confirmed, that Joe Gibbs... The same one who one three SB titles with the Redskins as a head coach, leaving after the 92 season, could very well come back.

Although he is doing very well as a car owner and Nascar resident, Gibbs told reporters that he is thinking heavilly about returning to the NFL, and mentioned the Skins head coaching vacancy as a possible interest.

Mark Maske and Leonard Shapiro have an article coming out tommorrow with the story in detail, but I wanted to give a heads up for those who have not heard about this developing story yet....

There might just be a Skins heaven after all....
--Geepz

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:40 pm

Here's the small amount that's up on the Post right now.

---------

Joe Gibbs, the legendary coach who led the Washington Redskins to three Super Bowl titles in the 1980s and early '90s, is in serious discussions with the team about returning to be its head coach, sources with connections to Gibbs said tonight.

Gibbs has told associates in his latest sports endeavor, NASCAR, that he could return to football as the Redskins' coach, sources said.

The Redskins have been looking for a coach since Steve Spurrier resigned last week. Owner Daniel Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato have interviewed three candidates -- former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

Rhodes interviewed with Snyder and Cerrato in the D.C. area today. But a source close to Fassel said tonight that he did not believe Fassel would be hired by the Redskins because the club was planning a major surprise. He added that he believed Gibbs's return would be the surprise.

Gibbs coached the Redskins between 1981 and '92 and led them to Super Bowl victories following the 1982, '87 and 91 seasons. He resigned from the Redskins following the 1992 season and has not coached since. He now is a minority owner with the Atlanta Falcons and would have to sell his small interest in that franchise to return to the sideline with the Redskins. He has turned over the vast majority of ownership of his NASCAR racing teams to his sons. He could not be reached for comment tonight.

----------

:celebrate: :celebrate:
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

---------

Postby redskins56 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:59 pm

Gibbs would be just what the doctor ordered, in that the fans would be ecstatic, the players would respect and rever him, and the coaches under him would look up to him...

Vermeil is still getting in done after coming back to the league attempting to live up to mammoth expectations... Parcells did the trick this season... Why can't good ol' Joe?

--Geepz

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:16 am

I just read the article and nearly broke down in tears.

I can't even contain myself... it's just not fair to tease a fan like this.

Joe Gibbs is a special human being -- there could be no finer choice. Every single player that i interviewed at the Alumni event, to a man, said that Gibbs had affected their whole lives... not just football. There is nobody more respected in DC... nobody.

Saint Gibbs returning?

I'm so excited that I could just explode. I don't think I'm going to sleep a wink tonight, but if I do, there will be visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:43 am

PLEASE LET IT BE SO!!!!
[-o< :hail: :hail:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:01 am

There are a few reasons I am against bringing Joe Gibbs back. But there’s one reason that outweighs them all. This team needs an identity, a path; Joe Gibbs is the one person who could provide that. There is one word that sums up Joe Gibbs…accountability. From Dan Snyder to the water boy he will hold them accountable!! Gibbs has been successful in all area of his live. As a husband, father, Coach, owner and author. He is as humble as a man as there is, which is very rare today. I’ll go as far as to say, that even if we lose under Gibbs the organization will be better after him, then before!! I posed this question a few weeks ago; if Gibbs came back will he win?

I truly believe he’ll win, he is out of the same mold as Parcell, Vermiel and Bilicik or should I say they’re out of the same mold a Gibbs. Their success has transcended three decades!!
How many problems will be solved by just hiring Gibbs alone?? Although I don’t think this is too tough for Snyder, kind off like Parcells, if Gibbs wants to coach, you let him!!

The fans will actually cheer Snyder for this
Synder will benefit greatly from having Gibbs around not just as a coach but also from Gibbs experience as a owner.
Hey Boss talk about solving the fan problem, I think a few folks might keep their ticket if Joe was walking the side lines whatda you think??

Mr. Snyder, get a blank contract and set it in front of Mr. Gibbs and tell him to fill in the blanks.
And one more thing…at the bottom of the contract include a clause that allows Mr. Gibbs to become part owner of the team the nanosecond he steps off the field.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:32 am

Boss- Sugar plums? I had visions of The Hogs returning and with them the domination we once knew. I am still dizzy from hearing the news. Mike and Mike had Mort on this AM and he says the only sticking point would seem to be how much power Gibbs will get. If this falls through, I may be changing my stance on Mr. Snyder.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:47 am

And if it doesn't fall through... I'll be the first to acknowledge that Snyder has turned the corner.

Man I'm going to be just wigging out until I hear the press conference... then everybody -- hop on a bus and head for Canada... we will be serving drinks until everyone falls down and watching the good ole days on TV as we talk about the suddenly brighter Redskins future.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:54 am

wow, i'm speechless :shock:
it's just not fair to tease a fan like this.

i just plain scared to get my hopes up too high. would be too much of a letdown to hear its nothing more than a rumor........ this too would get snyder out of my dog house, he would have done the impossible.........
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:57 am

You know Russ Grimm will be writing up his resignation to the Steelers if Gibbs comes back.

It's that kind of possibility that makes Gibbs even more impressive.

And yeah 666... the impossible is right. As stated, DS can obviously schmooze anybody.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:06 am

Mskes a grown man weep for joy. And just to think, I've had to bring myself outta the dumps by watching old Gibbs superbowl vhs tapes. "Happy Dance..." But the suspense is killing me as well. I also agree that if Snyder pulls this one off, it'll be turning point in the eyes of the fans. He may not be a saint, but he'll no longer be satan. :D

Hog

Postby gambit187 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:10 am

I POSTED THIS ON ANOTHER THREAD, BUT THIS IS WHAT I SAW TODAY.

THE RIVALRY MAY BE BACK :D

i CAN TAKE A DRIVE BACK OUT THERE AROUND 12:30 IF YOU GUYS WANT ME TO

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:32 am

Sweet gesture gambit.

If you do manage to go by, I'm sure nobody will complain... even if you are a Cowboy fan. :-)

You guys have carte blanche today, there is nothing anyone can say to bring a Redskin fan down today... except maybe... 'hey.... wake up.'

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:37 am

Oh but they are trying BH I have 4 here to deal with...Parcells this and Parcells that. come back and talk to me when he has 3 rings like Gibbs!!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby gambit187 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:57 am

That may be because, Tuna has had sucess with several different teams, while Coach Gibbs had sucess mainly with the skins. Both Coaches are Super Coaches in the eyes of Skins and Cowboy fans.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football