Gibbs - A word of caution

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

With Gibbs at the helm, how do you think the Skins will do next year?

They'll get worse.
No votes
They'll be about the same.
No votes
They'll be a little better, but still won't make the playoffs.
19%
They'll improve a lot, make the playoffs, but won't make it to the Super Bowl.
65%
They'll improve a lot, make it to the Super Bowl, but lose.
No votes
They'll improve a lot, make it to the Super Bowl, but lose.
No votes
Gibbs?!?! Are you kidding me? This team will be Super Bowl Champs!
16%

Total votes : 31
Pursuer of Justice

Gibbs - A word of caution

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:12 pm

I, too, am getting caught up in the excitement of Joe Gibbs coming back to coach the Redskins.

Be careful, oh you Redskins faithful, about putting too much pressure on this guy...or having too high expectations right out of the gate.

Remember, when Gibbs first arrived in 1981, he started out 0-5 before winning 8 of the last 11 games to finish 8-8 in his first year.

Yes, in year #2, he kicked some Miami buttocks in the Super Bowl.

My point: Gibbs has the players to work with...but it may take the players a little time to play "JOE GIBBS" football.

So, with that in mind....

How do you think the Skins will do next year?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:17 pm

i had to vote SB. might not happen, but now it seems, the sky is the limit........
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:29 pm

Did you see Mark Slereth and Mark May on ESPN news they said 10-6 9-7
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:34 pm

I see the playoffs but going to the superbowl is a little hard to believe, I love the guy but no coach ever came to a team in there first year back and made it to the superbowl, if anyone can it would be Gibbs, but like it was stated before lets not put to much pressure on the man, if we made it to the playoffs, I would be very, very excited.
Marc

Postby hogline » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:39 pm

I think it's possible this team will come together quickly. It seems to me they've known of their need for discipline. Especially during the latter part of this season.

Also, I just plain think they will WANT to go the extra mile for Gibbs. He seems to be that type motivator.
National Threat Level Set to Burgundy and Gold!!! HTTR

----

Postby HitDoctor » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:01 pm

I voted a little better but won't make the playoffs only because their has to be personnell changes and adjustments. Anything can happen.
it is what it is

---------

Postby redskins56 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:18 am

While it is so touch to keep yourself on the ground, while on cloud nine, here is the picks I have heard so far...

Chris Mortenson- Playoff contention w/ 10 wins
Mark Sclereth- Playoff team with 10 wins
Trey Wingo- Playoff team with 10 wins
Dan Patrick- Heavy contention with 9 or 10 wins...

When you got experts telling you your good, you are going to get confident... Look at the Boys, all offseason people were saying Parcells would work magic, they were going to win 9 games, they are going to be good... They bought into it...

The same thing could happen with the Skins...

-Geepz

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:26 am

I don't wanna come back down from the cloud I am bouncing on right now. 10 - 6 with a miss on the playoffs would be a huge turnaround and respectable as all get out.

It would make it sweeter to get to the playoffs, and I think that he can do it if anyone can.

Guaranteed - no. But realistically can he? Absolutely. He is surrounding himself with the coaching staff, is disciplined, detailed, dedicated and I bet that 62 year old man will put in more hours, starting tomorrow, than most of the 20 something kids on the field. I bet the interviews after Joe meets with the players will be something to hear.

Any whiners - step over here and get offa the bus now.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby DESkins » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:05 am

I think that the nucleus of a good team is there, and if anyone can make a TEAM out of the stuff that Spurnya left, it's Joe Gibbs. Now, if Spurnya had kept Stephen Davis, I think SB definitely a possibility in the first year (oh, be still my beating heart!) but realistically, I think Gibbs the motivator can coach these guys into winning those close games that they've seemed to drop in the 4th quarter for the last 11 years, so playoffs are certainly within reason. Of course, I'd be happy to settle for something a little better than just making the playoffs...

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:10 am

I voted playoffs but if they get on a roll late in the year...SB yeah baby.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

piggie

Postby tnathan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:49 am

anything like 9-7 would feel pretty good to me. beating the eagles, beating the cowboys. that would take care of my year 1 hopes. the team has potential to be good, but keep in mind, it's a short season with little room for error. it may take him a while to get going, and the skins could stumble out of the gate. i'd say it'll start bad, finish reasonably strong, and hit the playoffs in year two. next year, 8-8 or 9-7.
"rarely does a man have greater heroes than the champions of his youth."

-mike wilbon

go you nats

Postby huyster » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:21 am

Hi,

First time poster, long time fan.

I'd like to think playoffs, but the schedule is pretty grueling. Gibbs will do well to split in the NFC East: sweeping the series against any one of the Iggles, Boys, or Gmen is a lot to ask.

Even at home, GB, Minnesota, Baltimore, and Tampa will be tough assignments. 10-6 or 11-5 may win the division and there may not be a wildcard from the NFC East.

I'm looking forward to next fall and hope for the best!

-Huy

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:41 am

huyster wrote:Hi,

First time poster, long time fan.

I'd like to think playoffs, but the schedule is pretty grueling. Gibbs will do well to split in the NFC East: sweeping the series against any one of the Iggles, Boys, or Gmen is a lot to ask.

Even at home, GB, Minnesota, Baltimore, and Tampa will be tough assignments. 10-6 or 11-5 may win the division and there may not be a wildcard from the NFC East.

I'm looking forward to next fall and hope for the best!

-Huy

Welcome to the board! :D

Yes, the schedule is going to be tough any way you slice it. But it is kind of nice to have the majority of the tough non-conference games at home :D
Robert :D

piggie

Postby tnathan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:22 pm

i'm just trying to keep my hopes grounded. i've been taught a lesson by the skins over the last four years. speaking of the schedule, should i assume it's not yet established when the games will be, just which will be home and away?
a large part of me is hoping for a skins-cowboys week 1... even though if ever we're going to be shakey next year, it'll be in the first week or so. still, parcells vs. gibbs? come on.
"rarely does a man have greater heroes than the champions of his youth."

-mike wilbon

go you nats

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:25 pm

right - they don't release the schedule until either right before or after the draft I think
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football