press conference

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:19 pm

thx buddy... I must have had a coupla extra drinky winkys.

From the show, yes.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:25 pm

Absolutely. Spurrier's biggest problem was that he was unable to put in the time to be successful. If you look up "workaholic" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of a grinning Gibbs wearing a burgundy baseball cap. He loves the challenge and rising up to achieve success. You can see it in the twinkle in his eye and the pitch of his elvish laugh. The Skins are back in business.
Gibbs is God

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:29 pm

BossHog wrote:For the geographically challenged, like yours truly, would you mind posting a couple of quotes from the show RK?

And welcome to the board.

Thanks!

Well, it was a complete love fest. It was Sonny Jurgenson, George Michael, and Joe Gibbs together for about 15 minutes... and then there was a half hour with Sonny, George, Michael Wilbon, and a few minutes with Joe Bugle.

Gibbs said things similar to what he said in his news conference, which I only got to hear on the radio. It was good getting to see him speak on TV. He was as humble as can be. He comes across like he feels that Dan Snyder is doing him a favor! (he certainly didn't act like he could've just snapped his fingers at any time over the past 5+ years and been immediately named coach).

I don't remember any exact quotes, but he talked a lot about the "challenge" aspect of coming back to DC. He said how hard it was going to be (almost "undoable")... and he said that if it wasn't going to be really difficult, then there wouldn't be the potential to build something great (i.e. if it wasn't hard, then what could be accomplished that would be so great?). He also said that he wouldn't have come back if he didn't feel that he could do it. Sonny and George asked him if he thought he could make FedEx field like RFK was (the atmosphere). Joe Gibbs said that he was confident that the fans would do their part, and that he hoped that the team could do theirs (or something really humble along those lines). Sonny and George acted like they were a couple college kids who won a contest to interview Joe Gibbs (they were professional of course, but they were as giddy as everybody else in town is).

It's so cool to me that a LOT of the same TV and newspaper people are still around from the old glory days of the 'Skins. It really feels like we're in a time warp here. It's funny to me that the players Gibbs will coach are probably the least aware of anybody of what's going on right now (how can you truly appreciate what Joe Gibbs meant without having been a part of it like a lot of us have who got to see it all happen??). I still just shake my head and chuckle to myself about 100 times a day over the past couple days :lol:

And, as if Joe Gibbs alone wasn't enough, Joe Bugle is just completey beside himself. He probably hasn't slept since Joe Gibbs woke him up at 1:45 a.m. a couple nights ago. I think that between Gibbs and Bugle Patrick Ramsey should consider himself the luckiest guy in the NFL. I'll be shocked if Ramsey's protection isn't great next year (and I wouldn't be shocked if Bugle ran out onto the field to make the block himself if the defense has a clean shot at Ramsey... j/k).

I am psyched :P
Robert :D

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:21 pm

You know what impressed me most?

Yes, his words were eloquent and sincere.

But one thing impressed me most of all.

As he spoke, it was clear to me that already knows exactly what he needs to do to return this team to greatness. All he has to do now is get the final pieces of the puzzle....and ONWARD WE GO!!

He was beaming with confidence and an assuredness that I haven't seen in a Redskin coach in YEARS!!!!

How refreshing is that?!?!?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:49 pm

Venting Hog wrote:He was beaming with confidence and an assuredness that I haven't seen in a Redskin coach in YEARS!!!!

How refreshing is that?!?!?

Very refreshing! :D

The confidence and assuredness is definitely apparent... he just shows it in a MUCH different way than most people that have achieved his level of success. I think that a lot of the humility he shows stems from the fact that he knows that he alone cannot do this... yet he's being treated like a savior. If the 'Skins succeed like most of us think they will, Joe Gibbs will get the vast majority of the credit... and at the same time Gibbs will have been correct in saying that he was "just a small part". But when you boil it down he will have had to be the one responsible for facilitating all of it. Not everybody's egos would allow that. I see a LOT of deflecting of praise in Joe Gibbs future :wink:

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:36 pm

And that's why we love him...'cause that's the type of man he is. "Let's all revel as a team and share the sweetness."

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:07 pm

skinz74 wrote:And that's why we love him...'cause that's the type of man he is. "Let's all revel as a team and share the sweetness."

Yep. It's impossible not to have great respect for Joe Gibbs... even if you hate the 'Skins.

Hey... do only mods here get to have avatars, or what? :D

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:24 pm

Hey... do only mods here get to have avatars, or what?

go here, it explains the system:http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389 or just check it out in the public service announcments forum, under "ranks & avatars"
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:28 pm

I just revisited it with a new thread, but dang HS... you're solid for digging it up so quick.

:rock:

Owe you a beer anyway.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:32 pm

Owe you a beer anyway.
take you up on that at training camp -drinking
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:44 pm

A few times i'm sure.

:puke:

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:45 pm

hailskins666 wrote:
Hey... do only mods here get to have avatars, or what?

go here, it explains the system:http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389 or just check it out in the public service announcments forum, under "ranks & avatars"

Thanks for the info... I'll check back in a week or two when I hit 100 :P

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football