Who would you draft in 2004 with the # 5 pick

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Who would you draft in 2004 with the # 5 pick

Postby Skinsfanmania » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:11 am

Who would you like to draft in 2004. I think we should draft a running back such as Steven Jackson or KJ. I know we need DL help, but I feel we can fix these problems in free agency.
It Isn't Over Until the Fat Lady Sings!!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:35 am

First off welcome...I have a request Hail to the Redskins...I know you have it!!

This is a tough questions as many of us have already noted, Gibbs MO is to not pick high but trade down for more picks, Boss made a great point yesterday by saying if we trade down get more picks...thus we get more bang for our cap bucks. High pick = High $$$. I'd be very surpised see the Skins keep the 5th pick. Alot depends on what areas we address with FA. But I see our needs as DL/TE/RB/S I put saftey last because I feel if we can generate any kind of pass rush they will improve. Also CB could be a issue if Champ insits on being the highest paid CB in the league.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Postby toddlerdurden » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:10 am

I would actually like to see the Redskins draft the safety from Miami, Sean Taylor. His learning curve could be realized in short order and if you pay attention to the really successful defenses in the NFL - especially in our own division - the safety position is becoming VITAL. Think how nice it would be to have a Dawkins or a Roy Williams on OUR SIDE. I tend to think (granted, I only saw three Miami games this year) that Taylor has that sort of potential.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:20 am

saftey just isn't a glaring need...ok, not as glaring as some other positions. it would be in the best interest of future salary cap to move down. taylor is gonna demand a BIG contract. we don't need any camp holdouts.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:48 am

To me its DT before anything else. We have to stop the run and get some pressure up the middle. I want the new Dave Butz!!!

----

Postby HitDoctor » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:54 am

Yes, I like that trade down idea for more picks.
it is what it is

Fan4life

Draft Day

Postby Fan4life » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:04 am

Depending on what they do in Free Agency I agree with earlier posts. Safety will not be as big as concern if they get good D-Linemen and manage to keep Bailey. SO If they keep Champ, then go for D-Linemen, maybe a new O-guard or two. Then they need a Running Back. Depends on how much Joe has changed or will change his philosophy. Riggins and Gerald Riggs were really the only big consistent backs he had before. He used George Rogers, Jamie Morris, Kelvin Bryant and of course Timmie Smith (thats not an inclusive list of course) Patrick Ramsey is in Place, so unless his injury prevents it Or Joe sees something in him we dont see and gets rid of him the QB position is set. Remember what Gibbs said. Special Teams are the heart of the team and defense carries you through. I think this team will be alright once the Offensive and Defensive lines are fixed. With Joe Bugel coaching the Offensive Line, he will get the best out of them. SO the bottom line is Me personally I'm more worried about the Lines than running back or safety.
Bottom line is I like Chris Perry from Michigan.

swine

draft

Postby madman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:53 am

first off i would like to say hello to all the wonderful fans of this site.im new to it but i go on everyday to read what you say.great stuff.in regards to the draft i agree that any of the people you have said are great.we need a rb,dt,de,safety,etc.i was thinking how good a tight end such as winslow would be.besides sometimes his attitud he is a great player.im 26 years old but i remember the days of clint didier blocking and catching like it was nothing.it would be a great fit in gibbs football.i also like chris perry in the shape of a redskin running back.he is a hard nose runner with the knack of getting the first down and getting into the endzone for tds in the red zone.i also like taylor from miami,he is hard nosed and will knock the sh-- out of you.would be a big bonus.well anyway everybody have a good day and hell gibbs and the redskins.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:01 am

Actually someone has us picking Troupe from Florida as our second round pick - he is a TE that is 6-4 260. The problem, besides the attitude, with Winslow is that he is nothing but a very large receiver playing TE at 230 pounds. That does make a difference in blocking.
Rich in Roanoke

piggie

trade down?

Postby tnathan » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:03 am

i like the looks of chris perry too, but it seems to me that the redskins under gibbs should be more interested in MAKING big names, not signing them. what would you guys think the skins could hope to accomplish by trading down the #5 pick? what about a FA running back?

"rarely does a man have greater heroes than the champions of his youth."

-mike wilbon

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:08 am

we have been discussing this in the draft section, but to my mind, we could trade inside the top ten and get a third rounder, for instance in return. Then we could drop into the top 20 and get another 4th rounder or better and still be able to get one of the players we want. A team to keep an eye on is the Patsies I believe... they, I think, have the Ravens 1st rounder and could possibly use both first rounders to trade up to #5
Rich in Roanoke

Postby toddlerdurden » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:49 am

OH...hurts that no one likes my pick. I would agree, though, that trading down is a completely viable option and one that I would be excited about.

The thing is, one of Snyder's early lessons was Cap-ology...and they've been handling cap-room really well since then, massaging contracts and signing bonuses.

If the 'Skins stay at #5, I still say I'd like to see Taylor come in - only because he is the most talented defender on the board (in my opinion) to this point. The D-Line is a priority as well, but if we're still at #5 on draft day and don't manage to trade, I'd like to take a chance on someone who has tremendous potential than to end up with a lineman (even though its a need) who is going too high in the draft.

Postby toddlerdurden » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:49 am

OH...hurts that no one likes my pick. I would agree, though, that trading down is a completely viable option and one that I would be excited about.

The thing is, one of Snyder's early lessons was Cap-ology...and they've been handling cap-room really well since then, massaging contracts and signing bonuses.

If the 'Skins stay at #5, I still say I'd like to see Taylor come in - only because he is the most talented defender on the board (in my opinion) to this point. The D-Line is a priority as well, but if we're still at #5 on draft day and don't manage to trade, I'd like to take a chance on someone who has tremendous potential than to end up with a lineman (even though its a need) who is going too high in the draft.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:04 pm

toddler, If he is a hard hitting safety then yes, bring him in. Here is what I would do.

Trade down to cincy for their pick and Dillon. Don't touch deuce staley we have enough middle of the road RB's. We need a home run hitter (like S. Davis). If Gibbs were here last year we would not have let #48 walk. BUT, this could be a blessing in disguise. Corey Dillon running behind the nuveau hogs. I think I'll pick up some stogies this weekend.
it is what it is

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:56 pm

Corey Dillon running behind the nuveau hogs. I think I'll pick up some stogies this weekend
some people don't like his attitude. i personaly think, with the new staff, that would iron itself out. i mean, it's not like we should offer the guy a blockbuster, maybe a two year deal, low signing bonus, WITH a behavior clause. that would give us a horse to ride, but also allow us to look toward the future. My 2 cents
maybe in a pefect world huh?
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football