Sapp in Skinsville?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Sapp in Skinsville?

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:05 am

With Bruce gone, FINALLY (oh, and thanks ALOT Reggie :evil: ), who do we start the rebuilding with? There's been talk about that ever-so-quotable Sapp (e.g. "slave-master mentality"). My thoughts are that he's more trouble than he's worth- let him be Gruden's headache. He's over-rated and I don't think Gibbs likes his style. Daniel, on the other hand, loves these loud mouths (e.g. Neon). The first player related clash may come over Sapp and I think it's a waste of time.
Gibbs is God

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:24 am

Quoting Nancy Reagan, please "JUST SAY NO" to Warren Sapp, Mr. Snyder!

The guy, although maybe having some football left in him, is past his prime and is certainly not a JOE GIBBS type of player.

Please pass on the temptation to give this guy a look.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:33 am

Being past-prime never stopped Snyder before. We've suffered at DE all season because of Bruce's crusade, quest, almost wild-goose chase. What if he hadn't broken that record? Spurrier just couldn't say "no". Every time I watched Bruce get handled by some back-up tackle, I couldn't help but think back to the Bills and their Superbowl defenses that ate AFC quarterbacks for Sunday brunch. I felt sorry for the guy who looks like someone left his 1991 body in the dryer too long. Do you remember the shear size and speed of Bruce back in the day?

Anyways, my point is this- Sapp will be the litmus test for how much personnel control Gibbs has. He'll be the canary in the mine shaft.
Gibbs is God

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:06 pm

I think Sapp would be a stupid pickup for many of the reasons cited already. They need someone young that they can build the line around... Jevon Kearse? He's only 26 or so and if he could stay healthy, he'd be a great addition. Just imagine Jevon Kearse and Lavar Arrington coming at you full steam with "kill the quarterback" eyes... I guess the big variable with Kearse, though, is can he stay healthy?

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:18 pm

psummersjr wrote:Jevon Kearse? He's only 26 or so and if he could stay healthy, he'd be a great addition. Just imagine Jevon Kearse and Lavar Arrington coming at you full steam with "kill the quarterback" eyes... I guess the big variable with Kearse, though, is can he stay healthy?

Kearse would be great- I think he'll stay healthy. Carter, McNabb and Collins would be waking up in emergency rooms saying, "Levon Karrington? Jevar Kearsington? Where am I? What month is it?"
Gibbs is God

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:24 pm

Philly is an Armpit wrote:
psummersjr wrote:Jevon Kearse? He's only 26 or so and if he could stay healthy, he'd be a great addition. Just imagine Jevon Kearse and Lavar Arrington coming at you full steam with "kill the quarterback" eyes... I guess the big variable with Kearse, though, is can he stay healthy?

Kearse would be great- I think he'll stay healthy. Carter, McNabb and Collins would be waking up in emergency rooms saying, "Levon Karrington? Jevar Kearsington? Where am I? What month is it?"

I'm not even supposed to be on this message board while here at work and instead you've got me laughing out loud!! That was great!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:31 pm

OK, I'm not putting a vote in for Sapp here, but I think it's really funny that 'Sapp wouldn't be on a Gibbs team' when Joe had Dexter Manley first-go-round. Somehow, Dexter's drug problems ween't a problem, but he certainly NEVER shut his mouth.

I think Sapp will cost too much money. But I do think that's the only reson not to sign him. It doesn't matter whether we think he's good or not... he's still gonna draw a LOT of double teams, and free up the middle. He's still about 3-4 HUNDRED times better than anyone who played there last year. his biggest negatives are his age and the fact that his career is on the decline, but I'd take him in a heartbeat at the right price.

Gardener has proved himself a headcase repeatedly, but he was fine in D.C. If the Broncos can figure out how to exploit the 'conduct detrimental to the team' loophole, they're going to, and they'll cut him. Should we shy away from him?

I think it's a valid point that there are just going to be guys that aren't Gibbs types of guys. Heck, I said it in the chat yesterday... but I think there's a big difference between what I was talking about and Sapp. Sapp's a bigmouth sure... but to the opposition... not to his own team like someone a la Terrell Owens or a Corey Dillon. Has Sapp ever been a problem to his teammates? Not that I can recall. Sure he loves the sound of his own voice, but as long as it's directed outwardly and not inwardly, that really doesn't bother me.

I think that there will always be a headcase or two to deal with, and who better to deal with them than Joe Gibbs anyway?

Anyway, as I said, $$$$ stops it from happening because SOMEONE will be stupid enough to give him top dollars, but if nobody is gonna overpay, I won't be the least bit upset if we're the ones that grab the good deal.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:09 pm

Has Sapp ever been a problem to his teammates? Not that I can recall. Sure he loves the sound of his own voice, but as long as it's directed outwardly and not inwardly, that really doesn't bother me.

Only to Keshawm "What did I do?" Johnson. He also draws the ire of the league officials. I think he's over-rated now- just isn't as good as he used to be.

We've got Darryl Russel in the house already- who needs Sapp? What was he suspended for last time- guns, drugs, kidnapping or rape? I don't think he's going to last in DC for very long.
Gibbs is God

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:30 pm

Russell's gone... FO already stated that when the season ended. No brainer IMO, guy in his position has no business being late for meetings.

He did NOTHING anyway... we were just so desperate that even we fans were grasping at ANY straw. He only played 15-20 downs a game and had very little impact.

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:35 pm

[quote="BossHog"]Russell's gone... FO already stated that when the season ended. No brainer IMO, guy in his position has no business being late for meetings.quote]

Thanks for the newsflash. Jeez, being in Miami for the holidays took its toll in more ways than just killing brain cells -drinking. I never liked that guy to begin with- I'm glad he's gone.

So who's our next run stopper?
Gibbs is God

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:46 pm

Noble could be our run stopper if his knee gets better but that's a huge if.

I really took to the big guy at camp, and I hope that he can make a full recovery. But he blew everything and it'll probably take more than a year if he even can recover.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:03 pm

Carter, McNabb and Collins would be waking up in emergency rooms saying, "Levon Karrington? Jevar Kearsington? Where am I? What month is it?"
ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO
i haven't laughed that hard in a long time...my sides hurt.
levon.... javar.... :lol:
i think another jetskin would be a good move...Abraham? but, with gregg williams here, i wouldn't be suprised to see kearse. :D
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:49 pm

I'm sure Kearse would love to play for Williams again. Williams turned Kearse into a dominant DE. They should pursue him- he already knows Williams' system!
Gibbs is God

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:57 pm

i think if we can get an end and a tackle both in free agency we'd be doin ok by the draft and would be a lot more flexible to options at that point. kearse is fine with me..... he's a monster when he isn't hurt.(did you see "zeus" slam kearse on a cheap hit during the bal - ten game? ) as far as sapp, as long as he dosen't break the bank, he will create some presure in the middle. i would welcome his presence after watching our run defense this year.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby Philly is an Armpit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:59 pm

did you see "zeus" slam kearse on a cheap hit during the bal - ten game?

That was such a cheap shot. Kearse was the one waking up confused on that one: "Anybody get the license plate of that bowling ball?"

"Jevon, how many fingers am I holding up?"

"Sunday?" :hmm:
Gibbs is God

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football