Trick plays...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Trick plays...

Postby psummersjr » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:28 pm

Some of my fondest memories from Gibbs last tenure was his unbelievable ability to throw out a trick play at the perfect time... a fake punt... half-back pass... when Spurrier had Rod Gardener (I think) toss that pass for a touchdown this season, all I could think of was Joe Gibbs... now I don't have to think anymore, I get to watch!!

P.S.
I'm only a three day old on these message boards so I'm wondering what dominated the boards before Joe Gibbs' return? Was it rants against Spurrier? Discussing your hate for The Danny?

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:30 pm

Was it rants against Spurrier? Discussing your hate for The Danny?

YES

and

YES
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:32 pm

Pretty moch waht you said..throw in the Champ issue (Don't say anything about Champ to Skinsfanroanoke) :lol: You can always go back and read
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:26 pm

Joe Gibbs is probably the only coach who ever got away with the types of trick plays that he did, and so often.

A good friend of mine (hey Pauley!) and i were talking about the difference between a trick play that is deception and a trick play that is gadgetry. The gadgetry doesn't work too often.

Steve Spurrier ran a couple of trick plays last year that were great. They were deception, not gadgetry. The plays worked because the opposition had to honor the WR screens that they had been running all day, and it opened up the WR pass.

Quite often you just see people try trick plays that haven't been set up, and they usually fail... defenders are pretty good at sniffing things out.

Gibbs could always do it either way... and he liked doing it too. It'll be interesting to see if he is as successful with trickery over a decade later.

And for the record, I think they will. Not for any other reason than the man prepares like nobody else.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:01 am

tch tch tch DEHog - seems to me that all I did was debate you on it ::grin:: We just happen to be polar opposites on that issue - but in most things you are smart enough to agree with me ::laughing my butt off::

Don't hit me or I won't buy you a beer at camp :)
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football