Sour Apples

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby DESkins » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:46 am

Gibbs brings something back to the NFL that is sadly lacking, self discipline and class. Is there anybody out there that honestly believes that he would put up with Terrell Owens-like antics or tantrums from anyone wearing Burgundy & Gold? I would love to be a fly on the wall the first time someone takes a cell phone into a team meeting with St. Joe!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:04 am

I agree, and welcome.

He just COMMANDS respect, and not even the prima donnas of the modern day will be able to change that.

I'd like to see what happens the first time one of those linebackers freelances at practice and realizes that this coach, unlike the last, is watching everything.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the difference in intensity level at training camp too.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

letsrollburgundyngold

Postby letsrollburgundyngold » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:29 am

I'm with you bosshog, I look forward to seeing the effort shown in camp as well. Went with a friend to the past camp, and it did seem pretty lackadaisical.

Now to the naysayers, it's quite apparent to me that the negativity is coming from those who were just starting to get used to laughing at the Burgundy and Gold...when Gibbs was brought back, they couldn't laugh anymore, laughter turned to fear. So they fall back on the argument that the league has changed. And yes, while the league has gone thru many changes since Joe were here last, the game hasn't really changed all that much. Defense, running the ball, controlling the clock, and eliminating mistakes will win you most football games, regardless of the talent level. Those are the qualities that Joe will bring to a team that has been sorely lacking in those areas. And yet, we still beat two playoff teams, so the only direction to go is up.

Postby huyster » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:36 am

My two cents: the game may be more advanced but the the core essence is still blocking and tackling, and putting a hat on a hat. Sure, it's faster and teams are more deceptive in terms of disguising intent, but the fundamentals (which Gibbs focused on as much as anything) remain unchanged.

Gibbs could have coached in the 30s, 50s, 70s, or in 2030 (he're hoping) and he'd still put on a good showing. The team will play better next year.

I still remember the strike year where the NFL fielded scabs. The team Gibbs put together beat everyone they went up against, including teams that had NFL regulars who crossed the line. Sure, he won't be able to stash depth players on his roster for as long as he used to, but he can just pluck them from other teams b/c they can't stash 'em away either.

He can take hizz'n and beat your'n and then take your'n and beat hizz'n. The Skins will be better next year.

-Huy

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:40 am

8) amen brother. joe gibbs is THE MAN!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football