Washington Post vs. Washington Times...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Washington Post vs. Washington Times...

Postby Robert K. » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:14 am

I can't explain exactly the reasons (although the names Wilbon, Kornheiser, and Boswell come to mind... just for starters), but I've never really turned to the Times for my 'Skins coverage (or anything else for that matter). And it didn't help that when I went to the Times website on Wednesday morning for more 'Skins news all they had about the Joe Gibbs hire was an AP story!

Do other people feel that The Post is clearly superior, or do I need to give the Times more of a chance?
Robert :D

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:18 am

I've noticed that a majority of our updates and important headlines that News Hog provides comes from the Post. But, I try to nab as much info as I can, so I usually check as many as time permits...just to be objective.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:20 am

The Times beat writers are good, especially Jody Foledsy (IMO).

The Times don't have anywhere near the amount of content that the Post have though.

I think your best bet is to read it all!!! We have the news section where the news Hog posts all the headlines you can find during the regular season. We close it down during the offseason, to give the poor guy a break, but if you look in the News Section on the website and just check any day in the archive, you'll find 20 or more articles every day.

Some of those guys are nearly as good as our own writers.

:rock:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:32 am

BossHog wrote:Some of those guys are nearly as good as our own writers.

haha... ok, if you guys post it, I'll read it :P

BossHog... do you ever listen to Sports Talk 980 on the Internet? (particularly after games and between 3-7 EST when it's all local). Maybe one of the reasons I've pretty much ignored the times is that I mostly care about the columns since I also get so much good coverage of the 'Skins on 980.

---------

Postby redskins56 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:07 am

Both papers have pro bowl caliber rosters. The post writers who cover the Skins are Michael Wilbon, and Mark Maske. Maske is the lead beat writer, and Wilbon attends the majority of the games.

The times has (as Boss hog mentioned) Jody Foldesy, and David Elfin. They are both with the Skins on every trip, at every practice, and every press conference.

I think they both do a great job and I try to catch them both. However, I only get the Post on Sunday's and don't get the times at all. Generally, I get on the web and go to their sites, or try to head into town, to get to the closest paper boxes.

As you requested I will give my choice though. I will go with the WASHINGTON POST, because they have more pages devoted to the Skins, but they are both good.

Very good post. Nice debate topic!

-Geepz

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:24 am

I listen to 980 occasionally, but I rarely have time to think, so not as often as I should.

I like the amount of content that the Post turns out, but I think Jody was the best beat writer going this year.

I can tell you that, while I was at Camp, seeing things for myself... I thought that they were all WRONG and couldn't figure out what they were reporting on. It often seems that they all just sit in a circle and come up with the same vanilla.

That's why I say read it all... and draw your own conclusions and opinions.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:27 am

I feel ya, Boss.

Last year, I wrote about one day at camp. You wrote about several....and even others wrote about a lot more.

The "official" word in those papers was that player X, Y, and Z and scheme X, Y, and Z were lookin' pretty good, etc.

All of us were writing....these guys suck and/or need improvement and/or other information.

Brothers and sisters out there, if you want the REAL coverage of Redskins camp, look at this site first....then at other sites.

Then, as Boss suggests, draw your own conclusions.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:36 am

Actually... the even odder thing was... if they thought a player did well... I thought he stunk... and if they said he stunk... I thought they were great. Of course, they did have the advantage of ten other people telling them what to write while we had to rely on our observations.

In retrospect... we were all wrong.

'Cause they all stunk.

But not in 2004!

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:40 pm

I check both every day. I also check all the major sites, and I even click on "wire" on the ESPN NFL site in case there's breaking news that hasn't been posted yet. IMHO, the Post is a more team-friendly, flag-waving type. The Times, though, is a Snyder-bashing sarcasm-laced type. It's Yin and Yang, and I read both. I read the Post first, though.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

swine

Postby whomp-em » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:59 pm

the post definitely updates its website more frequently. and like tcwest10 said, they seem to be more team-friendly/fan-based (with all the surveys and photo galleries to go along with the articles). but i read them both just because it's redskins info. all i know is that after living in baltimore for a while i'll take either one over that rag the baltimore sun...

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:05 pm

I agree whomp-em, and I'd just like to add that the internet has just mae things so much infinitely better too.

Living in Canada... I was out of the loop... still am for merchandise... but thanks to the internet, I'm able to follow my team almost like I lived in D.C.

The more Redskins content I can get... the better.

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:39 pm

BossHog wrote:Living in Canada... I was out of the loop... still am for merchandise... but thanks to the internet, I'm able to follow my team almost like I lived in D.C.

I've been meaning to ask... how is it that the admin of such a great 'Skins site is living in Canada? :P

Did you used to live here around DC?

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:46 pm

never lived near D.C... there's no 'guessable' reason.

I started following football pretty closely when I was about 10 (1980), and all i knew after watching for a little while, was that I hated the Dallas Cowboys. Over the next year or two, as I looked for my football identity, I naturally migrated to an NFC East rival to the Pukes, and was enamored with this big line that was shaping up in Washington.

See I always route for the underdogs.

So it was cool to me that these big, 'unskilled' guys called the Hogs were starting to get some press. I didn't need much prodding, so a new skins fan was born.

And that's why I called the site theHogs.net when I started the site... the Hogs are my inspiration.

So I'm as happy as they come, that it's all coming full circle right now.

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:20 pm

BossHog wrote:I started following football pretty closely when I was about 10 (1980), and all i knew after watching for a little while, was that I hated the Dallas Cowboys.

So I'm as happy as they come, that it's all coming full circle right now.

Sounds like you had good instincts early on (hating the Cowboys) :wink:

Yeah, this has to be a great time for you :D

I've been here near DC since I was born (just turned 35), and I also started getting into football right around the same time as you did :)

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:50 pm

And were glad you did BH!

On the papers....I delivered both rags when I was a youngster in the cold, dark am in a freakin' grocery cart and hated them both. As I recall the Times went broke and out of business for a while. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there, maybe it wasn't the Times.

As of late, I guest I lean toward the Post, as I don't see much in the way of Skin material in the Times.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football