Washington Post vs. Washington Times...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:01 am

I'm happy when I can read either. The rag that is in my area is the Baltimore Sun or Carroll County Times both pro Raven.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:55 pm

I'm rather late to this forum but I thought I would shed some light on this topic.
First of all, the Washington Times is owned by a whack-job named Sun Young Moon. He's the head of some nutty church who's name escapes me. Unification Church or something to that effect. The Rev. Moon quite literally believes he is the Messiah. The paper is essentially a mouthpiece for the conservative movement in America. When Snyder came to town, and I forget exactly how, he snubbed the Times writers (I believe by altering their press access in some fashion). The Times has not forgotten that slight and it is reflected in the tone of their coverage, or lack there of.
The Post has much more in-depth if occassionally overly sychophantic coverage.

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:12 pm

I don't think I knew the Times existed until I was in high school. My father got the Post everyday and that's all I knew. Once in high school, I learned about the Times b/c of the plant off NY Ave which was near my high school (Gonzaga). I read the occasional online article on the Times' website but I pretty much just read the Post. Plus, I love Wilbon, Kornheiser, Maske and Boswell.
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:53 pm

Actually - I think it was when Snyder fired a lot of the people in the FO, including the marketing and media relations people - I think that is where a lot of the issues from the media came about...
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby newshog » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:30 pm

The Post seems to have a much better relationship with the team than the Times, and as Fios and others have pointed out, it is reflected in the tone (and kind and amount) of coverage that the they have, to both positive and negative effect.

The Post and Times beat writers are all quite good, in my opinion--the Post folks seem to have greater access, which is great because it allows them to break stories that they might not otherwise get. On the other hand, I get the impression that the Times reporters have to do more nose-to-the-grindstone, old-fashioned journalism, which in turn occasionally yields stories that the Post doesn't seem to attempt (perhaps for fear of causing problems with the FO).

It's in the columnists that the REAL distinction lies--the Times columnists are, generally, bitter, vile-filled spewers of hatred for all things Redskins while the Post columnists are pretty even-handed (perhaps occasionally overly positive, but that might just be in contrast with the black-hearted Times columnists).

But as others recommend, the best solution is to check with as many sources as possible. Paul Woody at the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Jim Ducibella at the Norfolk Virginia-Pilot, Warner Hessler at the Hampton Roads Daily Press, Edward Lee with the Baltimore Sun, and even Adam Himmelsbach at the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star are all local reporters who cover the Redskins on a daily (or near-daily) basis during the regular season. The more sources you use, the better the picture you get (though it does get pretty clear when they're reporting on the same stuff).
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:38 pm

newshog wrote:It's in the columnists that the REAL distinction lies--the Times columnists are, generally, bitter, vile-filled spewers of hatred for all things Redskins while the Post columnists are pretty even-handed (perhaps occasionally overly positive, but that might just be in contrast with the black-hearted Times columnists).

I agree with that for the most part. And, on top of what you just said, the Post columnists are also just better writers, IMO. Wilbon, Kornheiser, and Boswell are among the best in the country (and Jenkins is in the next teir). I just don't find myself enjoying columns in the Times (and I often don't agree with what they say, or at least their tone).
Robert :D

Hog

Postby newshog » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:57 pm

I agree, Robert--from a technical standpoint, the Post columnists just have more skill. One or two of the Times columnists are actually hard to follow, which isn't a great compliment to somebody whose job involves making their opinions clear!
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

piggie

Korny and Wilby

Postby TopHawg » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:32 pm

Being from MD I never really got into the post b/c we didn't get it deliverd to our doorstep. But as soon as I saw "Pardon the Interruption" on ESPN and found out Korny and Wilby wrote for the Post I immediatley started to read the post whenever I could. When two of your writers have their own show on the most watched network on TV, you know your paper is better (at least as far as sports commentary goes)

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:33 pm

newshog wrote:I agree, Robert--from a technical standpoint, the Post columnists just have more skill. One or two of the Times columnists are actually hard to follow, which isn't a great compliment to somebody whose job involves making their opinions clear!

Yeah, but I think the writing is getting better, and I think the Times' digging is too. They used to be behind on a lot, now Jody scores a few scoops.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football