Rumor Mill is Churning

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---------

Rumor Mill is Churning

Postby redskins56 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:44 pm

Thought I would throw this one out there....

On CBS' NFL today broadcast, one of the announcers reported that Jon Gruden may opt to relaese Brad Johnson before the start of camp, in an effort to enable Chris Simms to take over as signal caller.

Firstly let me go on record as saying I think that would be rediculously stupid. Without being said, so was cutting your number one receiver with over a month to go, but Gruden is ballsy, and he is respected for doing what he feels is best. In the long run the Bucs will be better off without Key, but that is a debate for a Bucs fan site, not this one.

My point is that, with Gibbs wanting an experienced backup behind Patrick Ramsey, and in front of Tim Hassellback, Johnson would be a great fit. He has playoff experience, he is a terrific starter, brilliant field general, and quallity athlete.

The only problem is that he may not want to be demoted to a backup position. Which, I fully understand, because of his confident attitude and competitive nature. The last time he was a full time backup was at Florida State behind Casey Weldon.

Johnson's return to D.C would be nice, but it isn't very likely. The fit would be pretty though.

-GEEPZ

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:49 pm

Yeah, he wouldn't want to be a backup... and there are probably several teams that would want him as a starter.

But he is a Gibbs' kind of player I think.
Robert :D

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:10 am

wasnt he demoted to backup status on the vikings? Behind Randal Cunningham?

letsrollburgundyngold

Postby letsrollburgundyngold » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:43 pm

After the way the front office treated him and pushed him out of DC, I don't see Brad Johnson coming here in any kind of back-up role...There's somewhere in the league he could fight for an opportunity to start. Also, I would be very surprised if Gruden just handed the QB spot over to Simms, unless letting Brad go helped their cap situation tremendously. There's something to be said for experience...

Hog

Postby tx_skins_fan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:29 pm

Johnson would be way too expensive for a backup qb. I don't think this is true. Simms wasn't that good in college, and he probably won't last long in the NFL. He could never win a big game, and one of these NFL DE's or LB's wouold break him in half. He was given the starting qb position in Texas because of his Daddy. Major Applewhite was a lot more talented. Daddy's influence won't matter to Gruden.
oops....sorry!

---------

Postby redskins56 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:37 pm

He was never demoted. He got hurt before the start of the season, with a disc injury in his back. Cunningham took over and did a solid job, so Johnson was traded to the SKins. They went 15-1 the next season

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:39 pm

if brad johnson goes anywhere, it'll be to arz to reunite with denny green My 2 cents
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:48 pm

First, I think Brad Johnson is too expensive if he's simply going to serve as a backup... and I don't think he'd want to enter a situation where he'd be relegated to backup or even have to compete for the starting job. Although I realize a player is always competing for their jobs, I think he would want to enter any situation as the designated starter and go from there.

letsrollburgundyngold wrote:After the way the front office treated him and pushed him out of DC, I don't see Brad Johnson coming here in any kind of back-up role...There's somewhere in the league he could fight for an opportunity to start.

Also, don't you think all players are going to re-evaluate their view on playing for the Redksins, including their front office, with the addition of Gibbs? He brings such class and professionalism, not to mention a reputation for winning, that they'd be pretty stupid not to. Any other coach, maybe not... but with Gibbs and his new title, I think this is a club almost any player would be stupid not to consider if the opportunity presented itself!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:52 pm

I agree with your points 56 - too expensive for a backup, which is also the problem with Brunell - not to mention there are always starting jobs available...

I do agree also that most players that would have maybe turned their noses up at the Skins last year would think twice this year - like Walls who went to the Packers
Rich in Roanoke

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:04 pm

Yeah, but you know what ? I mean, it's nice that everything old is new again, with Joe coming back and bringing the best part of the staff with him, but Johnson is a reach. Snyder was rough with him, with the whole Jeff George thing. Let him get a fresh start someplce else. AZ is a good idea, as was already posted. We really don't need that baggage back here. I wouldn't want Brunell, either. Too old, too brittle. Give me one of the Detmers for a third stringer. That'll wash.
How about Weinke ? Gibbs could (to use a Spurrierism) "coach him up" !
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:00 pm

How about Weinke ?
nah, the guy lost his job to rodney peete for "peete's" sake :lol: he's not really a veteran either. i think hasselbeck did better in his short time than did weinke.... My 2 cents
THN's resident jerk.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:14 pm

We will have to wait and see who might be avalible. I am sure that alot of backups will be release this year.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:06 pm

I know, 666. He did lose his job to Peete, who did an okay job for us not too long ago. We're talking about him as a third stringer, though, as it relates to my post. I think Joe could get the kid's head right. Hasselbeck is my #2, any time. No doubt in my mind he can handle it. For a #3, though, I don't really dig Hambran.( I haven't even SEEN him) Let me have a Detmer brother (Coy is one of Joe's favorite names, no ?) or Ty (who might cost more than you would want to spend on a 3rd).
The boy has a good arm. Maybe, right ? We ain't looking for a starter. Since we're there already, why not look into the type that Joe likes ? He looks like Jay Schroeder a little bit, anyway !

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:10 pm

The boy has a good arm. Maybe, right ? We ain't looking for a starter. Since we're there already, why not look into the type that Joe likes ? He looks like Jay Schroeder a little bit, anyway !
yea, but just livin here in NC, i kinda had the inside scoop. he's old too.(i think 28 or 29) he worked wonders at fsu, but that didn't translate to wins in the nfl. panther fans consider him as big of a 1st round bust to them as heath shuler was to us.... need i say more?
THN's resident jerk.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:44 pm

Maybe. 28 or 29 in the NFL would be veteran. He was 26 when he came in, and it might've been too late. Still, I th9ink Joe could handle it, and he'd come cheap. This is what we need right now, is cheap.How about the Detmers ? No comment on them boys yet ?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football