Skins FAs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Skins FAs

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:33 am

I was just getting some free agency stuff together for the site, and I thought I'd post this list of Skins upcoming free agents:

UFA
LS Ethan Albright
CB Champ Bailey
DT Martin Chase
OL Lennie Friedman
DT Bernard Holsey
WR Patrick Johnson
LB Kevin Mitchell
S David Terrell
DL Peppi Zellner

RFAs
S Todd Frantz
FB Bryan Johnson
Wr Darnerien McCants
S Infeanyi Ohalate
LB Antonio Pierce

EFAs
CB Bruce Branch
LB Lemar Marshall
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:01 am

Guys we must keep McCants and Friedman. Also I am in favor of Mitchell, Ohalete, and Bryan Johnson returning.
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

MEZZ

Postby MEZZ » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:22 am

I agree Friedman WAS SOLID.Gibbs wont let a guy like that leave.Also i was big fan of Patrick Johnson.In limited time he made some nice clutch grabs.BUT please get rid of that cowboy Peppi Zellner.CLASS A SCRUB!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:03 pm

Agree on McCants and Friedman.. not sure about PJ. It'll be tough to carry 6 WRs on a non Fun N Gun roster and with 3 of those locked, and the 4th one to McCants, it'll be tough for PJ to earn a roster spot for just special teams backup. Keep in mind that there will be times when we might have more tackles on the field than WRs (pinch me).

I think Johnson played fairly well this year, but we have more important cap dollars to spend and I don't think he'll have to settle for league min from someone else.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:12 pm

Sorry for the double post, but on a barely related note, here are some of the important upcoming FA dates too.

6/1 -- Deadline for old teams to send tender contracts offers to unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights to the player if the player is not signed by another franchise by 7/22

6/1 Deadline for old teams to send tenders to unsigned restricted or send qualifying offer to retain exclusive rights

6/15 Deadlines for team to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive rights by substitution of a tender of 110% of previous year salary.

7/22 Free agency signing period ends at 4PM EST for unrestricted free agents who receive a June 1 tender

And here are the descriptions of the FA categories...

UF Unrestricted Free Agent - May negotiate and sign with any NFL team, with no compensation to the Redskins
RF Restricted Free Agent - May sign with any NFL team, but must provide compensation in form of a draft choice to the Washington Redskins
EF Exclusive Free Agent - players under 3 years of NFL service, must resign with the Washington Redskins if a qualifying offer is made.

Hog

Postby tx_skins_fan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:20 pm

A little inside info: Patrick Johnson was in a club in Dallas with his girlfriend a few nights ago. One of my Redskin buddies is the DJ there. He told my friend that he's expecting to be in Tampa next year. He seemed almost positive about that.
oops....sorry!

Hog

Postby skins75 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:17 pm

I am not sold on Johnson. We need a FB that really can block like they have in KC. I think Friedman and McCants are a must to resign. I am not sure what is going to happen with Champ and whether his true colors were shown this season. I am sure he was very frustrated playing in that scheme under Edwards and probably that showed in his attitude. I guess the true side will show because he has no excuses regarding a coaching staff at this point.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:36 pm

Keep McCants, Albright, B. Johnson, Bailey, and Zellner. Zellner was solid this year. I wont be sad to see P. Johnson leave but wont mind him coming back, either. He was solid on ST when Morton was hurt. that's why most people want him back.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

piggie

Postby Jeff Rhodes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:57 pm

If it were just his contribution as a receiver we were talking about, I wouldn't care whether Patrick Johnson left or stayed. But he was also the gunner on punt coverage units and made some pretty nice special teams plays.

He's a handy guy to have around if it doesn't cost too much.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:39 pm

He was a minimum salary guy in 2003. I don't see how that would change if he comes back. I think if we bring him back, it'll be a 1 or 2 year deal.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

----

Postby HitDoctor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:47 pm

MEZZ wrote:I agree Friedman WAS SOLID.Gibbs wont let a guy like that leave.Also i was big fan of Patrick Johnson.In limited time he made some nice clutch grabs.BUT please get rid of that cowboy Peppi Zellner.CLASS A SCRUB!

We should throw Patrick Johnson a bone because if it wasn't for his fumble in the Miami game, skins would've had momentum, made the playoffs, Spurrier would not have quit, and Gibbs wouldn't be our coach.
it is what it is

Redskins4Life

Postby Redskins4Life » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:48 pm

The thing I disagree with most of you is bringing back McCants. Don't get me a wrong, he's a solid player but... If he signs an offer sheet with someone else, the Skins would surely match it.But if the other team places Another offer, than it would require them to give up a first round draft pick. A first rounder for a slot reciever sounds tempting, especially when you have speedy Taylor Jacobs waiting for playing time.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:52 pm

They wouldn't have to give a first rounder for McCants, he's restricted, not franchised.

A team would just have to give up the draft pick that the Redskins used to draft McCants... a 5th round pick. Same thing we did for Morton & Coles last year.

I sure don't think we can guarantee ourselves another Darnerian with a 5th round pick.

swine

Postby whomp-em » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:52 pm

Albright, Bailey, Freidman, Mitchell, B. Johnson, McCants and Ohalete should be the ones who the 'Skins attempt to bring back. The only contract that looks to be unusually large is Champ's. And since they skipped taking Mike Doss in order to draft Taylor Jacobs I'd say let P. Johnson go and let the kid play.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:00 pm

I'd agree with Whomp Ems whole list except that I think if bailey won't sign for 6 mil a year, then we should franchise him and hope someone ups the first rounder for him.

The rest of the guys have to be minimum contracts too, with the exception of McCants.

While I like Bryan Johnson, Mike Sellers is being brought back too and if he can block as well as Johnson and catch the ball a little better, then there won't be much need for BJ... especially if a RB is brought in to be 'the man'... 'cause then Rock needs a purpose too.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football