Skins FAs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby skins75 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:01 pm

I was reading today that Williams has been told to count on Champ being here next year. Has anyone heard anything regarding him signing a new contract?

piglet

Postby davef » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:56 pm

Bring back Mccants and Friedman for sure, wouldn't mind bringing Holsey back as a backup only... Chase was a disappointment to me, most of the others I don't have strong feelings about.

BossHog - Sellers is coming back? I had about totally forgotten that name, didn't he get into a bunch of trouble?

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:24 pm

What ever we do we better not resign David Terrell, perhaps the worst saftey in the history of the game

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:56 pm

What ever we do we better not resign David Terrell, perhaps the worst saftey in the history of the game
but one helluva special teams player....... and not too bad for a backup. but thats just My 2 cents
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:10 am

You know, I was just looking at a chart and we have a lot of people on this team that don't belong here and I don't believe will be here after Gibbs gets in there.

Samuels is costing us 8.3 mil this year, 9 next and 10 the year after - I hope if he gets his head on straight that they rework that contract.

For some of the speculators, I don't see Arrington being here after 2007 if they don't do something for those numbers - he escalates to 9.1 million in 2008 and then well over 11 mil until the last year of the contract where he is slated for 13 mil.

For anyone who truly understands capology... I know Bruce will count 2.335 mil this year for the signing bonus, but if he truly retires, will he count the rest? If not, that is an additional 6 mil that we don't have to pay out.

The people on the roster I don't figure will be back are:

Barker
Chamberlain (although if Gibbs gets him to think right he might)
Dalton might be back but could easily be cut with no cap implications of great note - no signing bonus
Dwain Goynes - WR - camp fodder
Reggie McGrew - DT - camp fodder
Ben Nowland - OL/C - camp fodder
Armegis Spearman - LB - camp fodder
Ron Warner - DE - camp fodder
Greg White - DE - camp fodder
Scott Cloman - WR - camp fodder - though he may catch Gibbs' eyes the way he caught ours at camp
Sean Dillard - WR - camp fodder
Cedric Killings - DT - camp fodder

Players on the bubble -

Trung - less than a mil against the camp argues he stays - Gibbs style of adaptation may make him a success - imagine the Counter Trey with speedy Trung behind the pulling G and T
Most aren't remembering that Gibbs didn't just like the inside run but pulled a lot of sweeps and that is Trung's arena

Hamdan/Hasselbeck - one of these two probably won't stay - some argue Hasselbeck due to arm strength

Robert Royal - injuries the past two years has limited his play - may come back if Chamberlain doesn't shape up and Gibbs can't fill all the holes at TE he needs to

Flemister - all the experts are saying bye bye - I agree simply because he can't block any better than he catches

Chase may return for depth as he showed a few flashes

Holsey - probably not

Russell - nope

Zellner - not bad as a reserve - didn't over extend, got some good tackles in - may come back as a cap friendly reserve

Kevin Mitchell - May come back - we know how Gibbs likes his aging but effective LBs - as long as he is cap friendly

Terrell - probably not

Patrick Johnson - could return, but the issue is how many WR will Gibbs use and keep on the roster - Russell and Johnson appear to be the most vulnerable

Lennie Friedman - Solid - played well - solidified the line next to Dockery and when those two got on the same sheet there was almost nothing up the middle to bother Hasselbeck especially with Thomas on the other side - would not be smart to let him go

Ethan Albright - stupid not to bring him back - solid player

Ohalete - could have a problem due to some missed assignments - but realistically if the system is exposed to Gibbs the way I believe it will be, Iffy won't look as suspect as some would believe - good interceptor, good tackler for the most part

Bryan Johnson - Gibbs loves big backs - but likes to run single back formations a lot with two TE and two WR - remember? Makes it hard for Sellers, Johnson and Cartwright all on the same roster. If Sellers converts to TE then both Johnson and Rock could be back - if not, there is going to be a space issue at this position and Bryan is the most vulnerable
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:32 am

Good post Rich.

HTTR
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:05 am

Champ, Friedman, Albright, Johnson & Johnson need to come back. Patrick Johnson was very good on special teams. Bryan Johnson with Gibbs could be a big Nick Giaquinto who can block. Friedman was very solid. Champ is a shut down corner and they don't grow on tree's. Oh yeah McCants has to come back all he does is make big catches. I like Holsey as a back-up. Mitchell might be needed if Trottier is released for cap room.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:25 pm

Warmother - while I understand the want for Johnson and Johnson, I don't know that either will have room on the team simply due to the schemes that Gibbs runs. I doubt that he will have more than 5 receivers, probably leaving Russell out. If he only dresses 4 that leaves Johnson or Jacobs out, and I don't know which. Maybe Jacobs since Johnson has special teams experience.

Bryan is in a worse spot since Sellers coming back brings a very large blocker, a receiver and a runner. Bryan never got any chance to really show off on any of those fronts other than blocking, and even then with the spread offenses, not much.

I just don't believe that Trotter will be released without some serious looks at his abilities - he actually did very well playing east west due to the scheme - but we all know from watching him slaughter our teams he is even better attacking the line right off the bat.

Champ is a very good corner - but is he worth the money that his ego is demanding? I don't know that he is - with an eye on how much we are going to have to spend for the DL, he may cost us good players.

McCants I tend to agree with, especially with Gardner dropping balls left and right.

Holsey might be a good backup although out of all of the pickups Haley played well before he hurt his finger so badly.

Mitchell will probably be back as long as his salary demands aren't too bad.

Personally, if Champ gets too big for his britches, I don't believe that he will be here - I think they will tag and trade him for needed picks if he starts getting ugly. I imagine that he is already in talks, and I read in a column that he has assured someone that he will be back. We'll see.

Samuels revamping his contract would be a big help though...

Anyone know the answer to Smith's retirement and whether we take the full hit on the cap if he does retire?
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby whomp-em » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:40 pm

I don't think we take on the rest of Bruce's contract. Remember when Deion retired? His headlines were because he got to keep the signing bonus money, not the base salary. I think Bruce gets his $2.335 or whatever it was and a nice vacation. I also seem to remember hearing someone say the 'Skins can use what would've been Bruce's salary to help pay Champ...

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:53 pm

Ah - so if we are 9 under the cap right now - we should have more like 15 without Bruce unless that was factored into the 9 - here's hoping it wasn't
Rich in Roanoke

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:01 pm

If Samuels wont restructure his deal, we should cut him and give his job to Winey. He was excellent this year!!!
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

---------

Postby redskins56 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:45 pm

The most important players to keep without doubt are...

Champ Bailey, Ifeyani Ohelate, Darnerian McCants, Bryan Johnson, Lennie Friedman, and Kevin Mitchell..

I would also heavilly be in favor of keeping Ethat Albright around, as well as Pepi Zellner. EA is one of the top long snappers in the game, and brings in every Sunday. You don't have to worry about Barker getting the snap. Zellner is a big help in stopping the run from the end, gets pressure on the QB, and is a great pass rusher on passing situations. He was also one of the few players to stand up to Bruce last season, and tell him that he was putting himself before the team.

If we don't resign Antonoio Pierce we will have a large hole to fill on our special teams units. He is an enforcer, bruiser, and great return saver.

-Geepz

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:31 am

Rich in Roanoke if Champ is asking for a crazy amount of money that doesn't let the Skin's get other players then yes franchise and trade but you have to make every reasonable effaort to sign him because of his ability's. As far as Byran Johnson He can be an H-back and a rb coming out of the backfield if Gibbs uses his same system. Sellers is okay but he didn't tear up the CFL in his time there. Johnson has good hands and blocking skills, SOS just did'nt throw the ball to Him last year. I hope Trottier doesn't get released but I read someplace that He will count 2.3 Million this year and it's a possibilty. I hope Samuals restructures he has to show He still has it.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football