new to the site; my 1st post and its about sean taylor

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
bow&arrow

new to the site; my 1st post and its about sean taylor

Postby bow&arrow » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:43 pm

hello and I'm new to this site, just signed up. Whoever created this whole thing is a genius. I would like to bring him to the Soup Kitchen in NYC, meet Seinfeld's Soup Nazi and buy him a bowl of soup if I knew who he was and had some money.

But I dont. So..no soup for you!

My first message is about Sean Taylor the safety from Univ of Miami. I don't think anyone anywhere questions his ability. He's the one player in the draft I'm certain is going to be Pro Bowl quality. All the other names the Skins are considering have at least some question marks. So, with that said, I wouldn't hesitate drafting Taylor at #5.

And this helps the Skins a lot. The best team in the division is clearly the Eagles. And everyone likes to say 'you have to stop the run, we need defensive linemen'. And that's true. But keep in mind gaining ground on the Eagles is paramount. And Philly is a team that never ever challenges the Redskins corners. Ever. You could sign 50 Champ Baileys, the Eagles don't care. They live by throwing to their running backs, TE's, and occassionaly their slot receiver. All positions that the linebackers and safeties (sean taylor) is matched up on.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:48 pm

Welcome.

I am the humble curator of this establishment and I thank you for your kind words.

And I pretty much echo your thoughts on Taylor, but I preface it by adding that we have to have d-line help of some sort COME DRAFT DAY to make the move.

Good point about Philly's WRs too... only thing is, with 20+ million cap dollars in the bank... that could change at any time.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

swine

Postby whomp-em » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Mel Kiper just weighed in on this today:

"Q: With Coach Gibbs taking control of the Washington Redskins what area do you see the team addressing in the draft?

KIPER -- First of all, player personnel director Vinnie Cerrato has done a great job stockpiling talent in Washington. But Joe Gibbs will have plenty of input into the team's draft decisions, and despite surrendering numerous picks in the deals they made with free agents last offseason the Redskins can still improve with the fifth overall pick. A pass-catching tight end like Kellen Winslow of Miami would make sense at that spot, or they could go with a safety like Winslow's teammate Sean Taylor. The team's most glaring need is on the defensive line, but the question is whether any of the available linemen are worthy of such a high pick. Oklahoma's Tommie Harris or Ohio State's Will Smith could be possibilities, but in terms of value at No. 5 it looks like Winslow or Taylor would be the best fit."

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:17 pm

I like Taylor, but I feel it is crazy not to draft a dlineman with that pick. I also would love for the skins to acquire Cornelius Griffin from the Gnats!!
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:25 pm

There's no linemen good enough to waste the #5 on.

Not saying we don't need linemen, just saying if we still do come pick time, and we're going after a lineman, we'll be trading down from #5 to do it. All the stud DTs got drafted last year, and even the best prospects in the draft are probably only worthy of a top 8-10 pick at best.... at DE and DT.

So if we still are looking to draft a DT or DE with our #1 pick, I think we'll be seeing just how bad teams want to pick Sean Taylor or Kevin Jones up. if there's a team within 5 picks of us that will up their pick and their second rounder... it'll be tough to pass up. We'd still get good dline help like Will Smith, and get a top 10 second round pick to boot.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

swine

Postby whomp-em » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Man, I still wish we'd taken Doss in the 2nd round last year!!!!!! But I digress. I think Kevin Jones at #5 or Taylor would be good picks. Trade down if we're going for a lineman. But I really think they're gonna go after Kearse and then a DT in FA. They need to get some guys that have some experience on the D Line because there's not really too much time to wait for rookies to come around.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football