So what's changed on the field since Gibbs left?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

So what's changed on the field since Gibbs left?

Postby newshog » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:08 pm

A lot of commentators have mentioned that the game has changed since Gibbs left in '92, but they almost all mean in terms of off-the-field stuff--free agency, the cap, etc.

Is there anything new in the world of Xs and Os since Gibbs coached last? The only thing I've heard specifically mentioned is the zone blitz.

Other thoughts?
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:20 pm

I'm gonna say, you can't have a whole new roster hiding on IR and you can't do Dexter's "throat slash".
This ain't my bag, though. I'm more into what's GOING to change on the field now that he's back.
Bated breath.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Hog

Postby doroshjt » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:47 pm

don't forget instant replay, that has altered the modern NFL game like none other. Just mention that you can't challenge a fumble if the whistle blew, took supperior like 5 times to learn that one.

piggie

Postby psummersjr » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:52 pm

I think that although there have only been a few things that have changed ON the field, it's really a question of how Gibbs will react to what has changed OFF the field and how that effects the on-field decisions. Whenever anyone brings this topic up, however, someone inevitably brings up the point that Joe Gibbs is such a great coach b/c of his unmatched ability to adapt!
I saw Art Monk in the Safeway parking lot in Great Falls, VA on 3/26/2005. It was AWESOME!

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:49 pm

psummersjr wrote:Whenever anyone brings this topic up, however, someone inevitably brings up the point that Joe Gibbs is such a great coach b/c of his unmatched ability to adapt!

Yes he is! And not just in dealing with the big picture... nobody was as good as Joe Gibbs at making in-game adjustments :)
Robert :D

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:17 pm

Well i dunno about x's and o's but there are lots of things that are different, where do we start:

Well Joe, when you left you had a bunch of linemen that averaged 300 lbs and that made them some sort of freaks... they'd be tiny compared to the heavy jumbos today. That guy over there is Derrick Dockery and he weighs about 40 pounds more than Joe Jacoby ever did.

Let's see Joe... do you know that you have to place the ball from wherever you kick a missed field goal now Joe? Not where the line of scrimmage was.

Oh and while we're at it, you're gonna have to move that kickoff back 5 yards Mr. Gibbs, we kick from the 30 now.

yeah that red flag is for you to challenge a play... no joe, not someone's authority, we've got all of these things that you can and can't review and you're just gonna have to learn 'em... (so you can teach 'em to the rest of us).

Oh and that game there that says Houston isn't the Oilers joe... they're in Tennessee now. There's another team called the Teexans playing in Houston.

Ya couldn't reach Art Modell at the Browns' office 'cause he up and moved the team one night Joe... they're up the beltway in Baltimore. They did give Cleveland a new franchise team though.

Just a few I thought of... didn't want to steal them all...
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:11 pm

and you can't do Dexter's "throat slash".
what BS. like a friendly little throat slash ever hurt anyone :lol: and the fun bunch can't do their "rehearsed" celebations either. :roll:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:17 pm

It does not matter, cause Joe was good at adjustments.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Hog

Postby DESkins » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:34 am

So there have been rule changes. And there's the salary cap. But when it all comes down to it, what counts is that your guys on the field play harder than the other guy's, and nobody was better at getting a team to do just that than Joe Gibbs. Everyone acknowledges that he is a master of the half-time adjustments, but to my mind the biggest thing that Joe has going for him is the ability to make people WANT to work their @sses off for him.

I read in an earlier post on another topic that the 'Skins were going "retro". Hmm... going from throwing the ball all over the field and losing the close games to running the ball, smashmouth NFC East football and winning Super Bowls... I don't see a downside to this.
R.I.P. Andrew McDonough 9/3/92 - 7/14/07. Love & miss you, #20.

Joe's#1Fan

i agree 100% all the way!!!!

Postby gibbsfan » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:17 am

tcwest10 wrote:I'm gonna say, you can't have a whole new roster hiding on IR and you can't do Dexter's "throat slash".
This ain't my bag, though. I'm more into what's GOING to change on the field now that he's back.
Bated breath.

alot will change now that we are going to see gibbs football again :D and i,m like you. can,t wait to see whats going to happen ,stay tuned i know that i will.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football