Debate on Shawn Springs and Champ Bailey by Redskins4Life

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---------

Debate on Shawn Springs and Champ Bailey by Redskins4Life

Postby redskins56 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:42 pm

You mentioned Shawn Springs in the same breath as Champ Bailey, which he isn't even in the same group as Rashaud Bauman anymore. He and Ade Jimoh are on the same island, struggling for mediocrety.

Okay, that is an exaggerantion but Springs isn't near the CB he used to be. In his prime, 3 and 4 seasons ago, he was a shackles corner, and like you said, big and physical. Now he is toasted as often as wonder bread, and rarely stays on the field. He was the player beat for 2 touchdown's in the 1st quarter of the Seahawks/49ers game, that gave up the "Sharpie Touch to TO" and then let him score again after he showed him up on national t.v.

He was beat for two touchdowns in the playoff games, and for over a dozen scores this season. Marc Bulger disected him, hell he made Cardinals backup Scott McCown (however it is spelled, who cares because we will never hear of him again) look like a signal caller with the precision of Joe Montana, mental toughness of Broadway Joe, and the arm of Johnny Unitas.

He is passed his prime, no argument about it.

Lastly, I would just like to say that you all talk about Champ not wanting to be here, but that is not the case. With Darrell possibly coming back, his mentor, and the excitement around the team, he will stick around. Unlike you goofballs who dont realize what he means to this franchise on and off of the field, Snyder, Cerrato, and Gibbs, will sure as hell do everything they can to keep him around...

-Geepz

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:48 pm

56, I feel you. Still, with your wording, you're likely to get more flaming than factual commentary. I'm a longtime JeepTech forum contributer, and a chat-room vet. You need to get your point across in a way that doesn't offend your fellow fans. That's for the Smack-Talk forum. C'mon. You and I both know that Springs isn't of the same caliber. You've shown me many times
how smart you are, and I'm new here. Why do this in this way ? It makes no sense, my brother.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:13 am

i have to agree that springs is on the market for a reason. and the hawks drafted trufant for a reason. springs is definantly not my first choice, but if it came down to a last resort, i'd welcome a vet to do his thing. heck maybe smoot could show him a thing or 2 :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:20 am

Smoot, man. Ain't he something else ? I had a couple of bruised ribs, and I couldn't hardly breathe. He PLAYED with a much deeper bruise. That's a better man than me, to be sure.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:28 am

Smoot, man. Ain't he something else ? I had a couple of bruised ribs, and I couldn't hardly breathe. He PLAYED with a much deeper bruise. That's a better man than me, to be sure.
it was a fractured sternum. i cracked a couple ribs on a jet ski this year, and it messed me up for months. i didn't even want to cough. much less run at full speed and swat at balls in the air. thats why he got our unsung hero award.
THN's resident jerk.

swine

Postby CrazyLikeAFox87 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:54 am

We need to keep the best tandem in football together. Two top corners shutting down the opposition's receivers will help our pass rush. Let's face it, 20+ sacks in a season is pathetic. Remember when Manley and Mann were knocking them down. I've just watched an old 'skins video which said Dave Butz and Darryl Grant at DT were getting 7-10 sacks a season!

D line has got to be the most pressing need. Any chance of trading for Jevon Kearse?

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:07 am

We don't have to trade for Kearse he's a free agent who like's Greg Williams, now if He doesn't cost to much.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Hog

Postby skins75 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:02 am

I know that everyone is optimistic about Jevon but he has had a tough time with injuries throughout his brief career and at only 26 that raises some flags. Dont get me wrong the guy when healthy is crazy good but can he stay healthy?

Redskins4Life

Postby Redskins4Life » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:02 pm

Shawn Springs is no Champ Bailey, not even close. But if Bailey leaves, and we must decide who to sign from Free Agency, Springs would be a good replacement. He wouldnt be my first choice as replacement, Charles Woodson would. But if getting Woodson would be to expensive/difficult to do, I say take a shot at Springs, or Samari Rolle. Rolle can play, and hes young.

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:24 pm

yeah but Charles Woodson is going to demand around the same amount of money Champ is, Woodson is overatted and is bad for the chemistry of the team (if you heard some of the comments he made about the Raider coaching this season), In other words I dont see the point of replacing Champ with a player who would be almost just as expensive, is not as good, and is a big ass. If we cant sign Champ we Franchise him, and there are a couple of teams out their who are desperate for a quality corner (most of them) who may be willing to give up picks. The best scenerio is if the Lions give up their first round picks for Champ. This scenerio is not that unplausable because they are run by the Genius Matt Millen who is capable of doing anything. Remember Shawn Gilbert? There are teams out there run by absolute morons, (which the Skins, untile recently, use to be) which means anything can happen.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:23 pm

Bailey's growing chorus of critics seem to have forgotten that the Skins had NO pass rush this year. Unless you count Smith jumping offsides or blowing past a running back in a pathetic attempt to tie the sack record. But give any NFL QB as much time as the Skins did and he will shred any secondary. Did Bailey struggle at times? (Buffalo is a particularly egregious example) Yes, but that is a testament to our horrendous d-line, not his skill. And Champ, like Smoot, played hurt this year.
Champ does need to rethink his salary demands but losing him would be a huge blow.

Redskins4Life

Postby Redskins4Life » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:12 pm

Hey BigCarter28,
The whole time i've been persisting that the Skins let Bailey go, I've been saying that with the intent of franchising him anyway. I don't want the Skins to offer him a deal, I just want them to franchise him and get the two picks. And like you said, the best case scenario would be to get it from the Lions and their nitwit GM Matt Millen. Gettin the Lions #6 and their future first rounder would be amazing.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:59 pm

Redskins4Life, getcher ass registered. You belong here.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:28 pm

well if champ departs..... IMHO if we are going to pay big money for a corner, i would hope that there was some way we could lure mcallister away form baltimore. he accepted a one year tender last year, and will be on the market again this year. and he is just as good as champ. My 2 cents
THN's resident jerk.

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:39 am

Mcalister wants alot of money as well

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football